Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Problem With Reving

by NRRACING, October 21, 2004

Welli get in the rolla today and the car will not rev past 4300 RPM's, the car is a 1998 automatic. So i stoped and hit the gas and pressed it down and the car shifted at 4300 Rpm's, well i just keped my foot in her and she kept shifting at 4200-4300 the whole time i had the car peged to the ground. The car has about 88K miles on it and it has been in three wreks due to my girlfriend, the last one was not to good. Well what could it be. It seem as itf the car does not want to engage into the (2ND cam) exhuast cam, seems like the car does not want to open up the secound cam. 4400 is were it opens(i think) up or were i feel a power pull in her car but now i can not feel it. What could it be.

PSSS oh yeah it would rev up to 6500 and my girl would take it to rev limit before this and it would have no problem, she does not race it but when she get happy she says she takes it up to red line. Car has been taken care of.

It seem as itf the car does not want to engage into the (2ND cam) exhuast cam, seems like the car does not want to open up the secound cam. 4400 is were it opens(i think) up or were i feel a power pull in her car but now i can not feel it. What could it be.

PSSS oh yeah it would rev up to 6500 and my girl would take it to rev limit before this and it would have no problem, she does not race it but when she get happy she says she takes it up to red line. Car has been taken care of.

I'd say the three wrecks probably had something to do with it.

Well it won't hit the second cam - because it doesn't have a second set - no VTEC here, VVT-i wasn't added until 2000 and that also changes the cam timing, not lift.

Depends on what happened to the car though the wrecks - the amount of damage that it picked up. Chances are - the kickdown switch is messed up or valvebody in the tranny is damaged or any multitude of sensors damaged, like the TPS sensor or crankshaft sensor.

If you rev'd it up to 6500 RPM (kinda of tough on it - fuel cutoff is at 6300 PRM, Limit is 6800 RPM on the VVT-i, lower on the plain 1ZZFE) - you probably have significant cylinder wall scoring or ring damage. That was really common on the earlier 1ZZFE engines being rev'd past 5500 RPM.

REV to 6500RPM, three wrecks - the car is far from being taken car of. I'd have someone else take a peek at the transmission and maybe do a compression test. If they comeback bad - start looking for a new ride.

Good Luck.

hey man the car has been taken care of i think she has taken it up too about 6k-6.5k only like the max 6 times and bounced it off the rev limit twice in the four years she has had the car. It has a lot of highway miles on it and has not been raced like most cars have. I know i might have made it seem like she runs it hard but, she really does not. I do not know much about how the motor works but i know other cars, this one has a 1.8 DOHC, I know it does not have vtec , i am no honda lover by far. So you think it could be somthing witht the tranny or motor going out on her. So tell me what the secound cam in the car is used for, Exhuast cam right. That is what it is used for right.

Could be the tranny or something with the engine - hard to say what to check for. You mentioned three wrecks - even fender benders will cause problems that can be hard to pin down, especially if it electrical or a sensor issue. The cams (intake or exhaust) won't cause the under revving problem unless the timing it all out of wack. The cams are tied together (scissor gear) - so if one turns, the other will turn as well. Did you get a check engine light? I'd start with ignition and fuel systems first - look for the obvious stuff, leaks, cut or damaged hoses, etc.

Good Luck.

yes i will check these things out with the car, and i will look under the hood and see if any possible thing is wrong. she did put it in a ditch hrad core a while back. It is crazy it just will not rev past 4200 rpm's. iwil check some things out.

It's only the car telling the girl "don't drive me so fast if you can't keep me on the road" default_biggrin

Does it at least rev to the redline in neutral?

I'm wonderinf if it might be a faulty engine temp sensor. My car acts like that every morning before it gets warmed up-just the ecu providing a little extra protection for the motor when cold. If that sensor is out, or maybe the wiring got damaged???

Actually it has only been in 2 wrecks not 3. Sorry i made a mistake. But also the emergency break light keeps coming on all the time. This just started like a week and a half ago.

Topic List