Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Carolla Le Battery

by Easy_driver, January 12, 2008

Easy_driver

Hello All,

my toyota carolla le 2005, has a dead battery (original) Delphi Freedom maintenance free.

I don't drive that much, that is why it died.

is there a battery that will keep the charge for a long time? I live in Queens, NY & I park in an open air car port.

someone told me optima redtop is good. but the terminals on my old battery are on the top, on the redtop optima it is on the middle. will the wires reach that far?

also i took the battery out of the car. will this damage the car if does not have a battery installed?

I'm not knowledgeable about these things. i would appreciate your help.

thanks in advance.

b

Welcome to the forum. Not a whole lot of stuff you can do, especially if the is not garaged inside somewhere. You can add a trickle charger to the battery - there are ones that run off a solar panel (free charging - sits on the dash) and others that plug into A/C. They make a device called a Battery-Minder - made specifically to keep seasonal or limited use batteries in good shape (ie. deep cycle batteries for R/Vs and boats) - but works best if the battery is removed and the unit just left plugged into a wall.

Won't hurt the car without a battery in it - but if you have a factory or aftermarket alarm system, or anti-theft headunit - pulling power will make a mess. Not to mention that the ECM will lose "learned" values from normal driving. Running a performance battery like an Optima or similar will help - but all batteries will eventually lose their charge from normal internal resistance of the battery and parasitic power drains from car's electrical system. Optima fitment will be a little tough - takes some messing around with it - but you can get the cables to fit the terminals. Some people had very little issue fitting the battery - others had it a bit tougher.

Easy_driver

Hello All,

my toyota carolla le 2005, has a dead battery (original) Delphi Freedom maintenance free.

is there a battery that will keep the charge for a long time? I live in Queens, NY & I park in an open air car port.

someone told me optima redtop is good. but the terminals on my old battery are on the top, on the redtop optima it is on the middle. will the wires reach that far?

also i took the battery out of the car. will this damage the car if does not have a battery installed?

thanks in advance.

b

Thank you fishexpo101.

I appreciate your help.

my old battery has a charge of 8.8volt in it. should i reconnect it to the car until I buy a new battery?

I tried to recharge it using a black & decker charger but it didnt work.

Thanks again.

b

Hello All,

thanks in advance.

b

Thank you fishexpo101.

I appreciate your help.

my old battery has a charge of 8.8volt in it. should i reconnect it to the car until I buy a new battery?

Thanks again.

b

A minor alteration to the positive terminal (taking out the bend) let me get an Optima red in my 2003 Corolla. See an Optima dealer if you want to do this. I think it was the 35R size, but let the dealer install it to be certain it will fit.

Only issue is that battery will need to come out to change high beam bulb on that side, so you might just change it before doing the Optima.

The Delphi batteries are junk anyway.

Thanks again.

b

It sounds like the battery is pulled down too far to be easily recharged. You can probably use a "whisker" or pulse charger to recover the battery. But its capacity may be seriously compromised. BobLevine is right about the OEM Delphi batteries - they are just barely adequate for day to day use. In more extreme cases, they tend to fail pretty quickly. I had a three years old Delphi Freedom in my Matrix that just suddenly died after a 600+ mile trip - replaced it with a old Interstate battery I had from a previous car. Even being much older and probably significantly reduced reserve capacity - it still was better than the Delphi battery in its prime.

Easy_driver

Hello All,

thanks in advance.

b

Thank you fishexpo101.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

b

A minor alteration to the positive terminal (taking out the bend) let me get an Optima red in my 2003 Corolla. See an Optima dealer if you want to do this. I think it was the 35R size, but let the dealer install it to be certain it will fit.

Only issue is that battery will need to come out to change high beam bulb on that side, so you might just change it before doing the Optima.

The Delphi batteries are junk anyway.

Thank you BobLevine & Fishexpo101!!!

Bikeman982

I recommend a "Battery Tender".

I got mine from www.amazon.com - I used the discount when I signed up for their credit card.

The tender ended up costing me about $6.00 after the discount.

It charges the battery to correct voltage and can be left connected, without any damage happening.

It also came with connections that can be left attached to the battery and quickly connected/disconnected to the charger.

Hope this helps.

Easy_driver

I recommend a "Battery Tender".I got mine from www.amazon.com - I used the discount when I signed up for their credit card.

It charges the battery to correct voltage and can be left connected, without any damage happening.

It also came with connections that can be left attached to the battery and quickly connected/disconnected to the charger.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bikeman982!

Thanks to the founders of this forum also!

I appreciate all of the great advice that I received.

Bikeman982

I recommend a "Battery Tender".I got mine from www.amazon.com - I used the discount when I signed up for their credit card.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bikeman982!

Most of us have had battery problems at one time or another.

I keep two spares in my garage and also use my battery tender to keep them charged.

Some batteries are better than others. Good batteries will last for many years.

Easy_driver

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bikeman982!

Most of us have had battery problems at one time or another.

I keep two spares in my garage and also use my battery tender to keep them charged.

Some batteries are better than others. Good batteries will last for many years.

Hello All,

I purchased a Duralast G battery for my Carolla 2005 LE, to replace the dead Delphi.

At the initial hook up the alarm did not sound, but the alarm light was flashing.

I started the car, the rpm was at 2, but it went down about approx. 10 mins.

My car was sitting without a battery for a few weeks.

It works great now. My next buy will be a battery tender.

Thanks to all.

Easy Driver

Bikeman982

The battery tender will be a very good investment, keeping a charge on the battery.

It is good for a car that is not used very frequently.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)