Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2008 Corollla Ping Sound When Engine Is Off

Guest glasbergen

Hi I just bought a brand new 2008 corolla last October 2007 and there's this ping sound everytime I turn off the engine after a minimum of a 30 minute drive. So it last around 45 seconds to a minute. And i'm wondering what it is because I've never heard it with the other cars I drove before.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like normal heat expansion/contraction noise to me. After a normal drive - you probably have an exhaust heatshield cooling off rapidly and shrinking slightly. In the process, it will make a metallic pinging sound until it comes to an equilibrium temperature. This will eventually go away once the metal starts to anneal slightly from the heat cycling that it will experience. Nothing to worry about at this point - once the car gets completely broken in and parts starts to take a set.

Guest glasbergen

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like normal heat expansion/contraction noise to me. After a normal drive - you probably have an exhaust heatshield cooling off rapidly and shrinking slightly. In the process, it will make a metallic pinging sound until it comes to an equilibrium temperature. This will eventually go away once the metal starts to anneal slightly from the heat cycling that it will experience. Nothing to worry about at this point - once the car gets completely broken in and parts starts to take a set.

Thanks! I feel a lot better now!

the only way to make the sound go away is to loosen the heatsheild bolts slightly or shim them with a high temp fiber gasket, neither of which is a walk in the park on a 2008 because of the engine bay layout. as fish said the noise will subside after a period of time, if it doesnt or it really bothers you then something like these, one on each side of the shield would help to eliminate the sound.

http://secure2.data-comm.com/servlet/RBCS/...62inOD-x/Detail

of course you'd need to locate the correct size of washer, im not sure what you'd need.

Bikeman982

Normal sound of engine and parts cooling off. Not a major concern.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)