Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Engine Squeeking Noise

by admiralhonshu, January 8, 2008

My LE 2005 Corolla has Engine Squeeking Noise. It has about 160,000 Km. I do change the oil and the brakes.

There is no squeeking noise from the brakes. The squeeking noise happens to be on all the time, from the start of the engine till I shut it off when I reach my destination. It squeeks even when the car is not in motion or in motion. But the sound dissapears for a second whenever I accelerate. The sound seems to be comming from the alternator. I am worried that it could be my fan belt or my alternator belt tearing apart soon. If it is just the alternator needing lubricating than that is fine. I can do that. I thought it would be the timming belt, but I was told I have nothing to worry about that when I called a service manager. He indicated that my corolla uses a timming chain is used instead of a timming belt, please advise what I can do? And secondly how much should it cost? Or is it a simple thing that I can fix myself.

"I am only a Computer technician, not a mechanic!" (Quote from Deforest Kelly aka Dr.McCoy.)

sounds like a bearing or bushing in the alternator. oil will not help. its new alternator time.3 bolts ,an electrical plug , change the belt while you are there , and you're done.

it could just be the belt so get the autozone site and learn how to change/tighten it first. i doubt it . at 160,000 k.m. the alternator is primed for repairs. make a makeshift stethoscope or use this technique to pinpoint the area of concern. here is how to find your squeak.substitute alternator for injector.

# The next step is to check whether the injectors are operating. One technique is to use a long screwdriver as a makeshift "stethoscope" to listen to the sound of each injector as the car is running (figure I).

# Safety alert: Use caution when performing this test, making certain to stay clear of belts, moving parts, the electrical terminals at the rear of the alternator, etc.

# With the engine running, rest the tip of the screwdriver directly on the injector (figure J) and listen at the handle of the screwdriver. If the injector is working properly, a series of crisp "clicks" should be audible through the screwdriver-"stethoscope."

sounds like a bearing or bushing in the alternator. oil will not help. its new alternator time.3 bolts ,an electrical plug , change the belt while you are there , and you're done. it could just be the belt so get the autozone site and learn how to change/tighten it first. i doubt it . at 160,000 k.m. the alternator is primed for repairs. make a makeshift stethoscope or use this technique to pinpoint the area of concern. here is how to find your squeak.substitute alternator for injector.

# The next step is to check whether the injectors are operating. One technique is to use a long screwdriver as a makeshift "stethoscope" to listen to the sound of each injector as the car is running (figure I).

# Safety alert: Use caution when performing this test, making certain to stay clear of belts, moving parts, the electrical terminals at the rear of the alternator, etc.

# With the engine running, rest the tip of the screwdriver directly on the injector (figure J) and listen at the handle of the screwdriver. If the injector is working properly, a series of crisp "clicks" should be audible through the screwdriver-"stethoscope."

All these sounds squeeking came even when my car was idling.

This is going to sound so weird, I took a 15-20 min drive to an underground parking lot to get groceries, I turned off the car, after shopping which was about 30 mins, I came back to car started it, and then there was no more squeeking sounds. I then went to Toys R Us, didnt notice it there either, then I went to Canadian Tire, nothing noticible, and then went to Wally Mart, and checked to make sure again, nothing either, no squeeks. Then went to get smokes for my wife, checked again, at idle and no sound either. So no noise any ideas?

sounds like a bearing or bushing in the alternator. oil will not help. its new alternator time.3 bolts ,an electrical plug , change the belt while you are there , and you're done. it could just be the belt so get the autozone site and learn how to change/tighten it first. i doubt it . at 160,000 k.m. the alternator is primed for repairs. make a makeshift stethoscope or use this technique to pinpoint the area of concern. here is how to find your squeak.substitute alternator for injector.

This is going to sound so weird, I took a 15-20 min drive to an underground parking lot to get groceries, I turned off the car, after shopping which was about 30 mins, I came back to car started it, and then there was no more squeeking sounds. I then went to Toys R Us, didnt notice it there either, then I went to Canadian Tire, nothing noticible, and then went to Wally Mart, and checked to make sure again, nothing either, no squeeks. Then went to get smokes for my wife, checked again, at idle and no sound either. So no noise any ideas?

Serpentine belt or tensioner is a trouble point on Gen 9.

If not yet replaced, might change belt and rotate pulleys to check for smooth operation.

Some grease could have gotten on belt and later burned off.

If not yet replaced, might change belt and rotate pulleys to check for smooth operation.

The squeek is back this morning!

How much do they normally charge for the change of the belt and rotate the pulleys. Should I be concerned? Cause at the present moment in January I am in a cash crunch.

The squeek is back this morning!

How much do they normally charge for the change of the belt and rotate the pulleys. Should I be concerned? Cause at the present moment in January I am in a cash crunch.

My mechanic charged $120 parts and labor. Dealer wanted about the same.

With the old belt off, checking the pulleys is simple and really ought to be done as a normal part of the belt change. Tensioner will run a few hundred if it's the issue. Quite possible.

My mechanic charged $120 parts and labor. Dealer wanted about the same.

With the old belt off, checking the pulleys is simple and really ought to be done as a normal part of the belt change. Tensioner will run a few hundred if it's the issue. Quite possible.

Is it humanly possible without all the tools that a mechanic has to replace the belt myself?

Yes, not really that bad.

Bikeman982

Get the repair manual and give it a try.

It should not be too hard.

I've had the same, or at least a similar problem with my '03 Corolla LE. I replaced the Serpentine Belt once (under warranty) at around 28,000 miles, then recently replaced the tensioner and the belt (again) at around 51,000. No more squeaks since replacing the tensioner, but it's only been a couple of thousand miles.

What I'd like to know is, do I have the problem fixed for good, or is that tensioner going to have to be replaced every 50K or so?

Bikeman982

My LE 2005 Corolla has Engine Squeeking Noise. It has about 160,000 Km. I do change the oil and the brakes.

There is no squeeking noise from the brakes. The squeeking noise happens to be on all the time, from the start of the engine till I shut it off when I reach my destination. It squeeks even when the car is not in motion or in motion. But the sound dissapears for a second whenever I accelerate. The sound seems to be comming from the alternator. I am worried that it could be my fan belt or my alternator belt tearing apart soon. If it is just the alternator needing lubricating than that is fine. I can do that. I thought it would be the timming belt, but I was told I have nothing to worry about that when I called a service manager. He indicated that my corolla uses a timming chain is used instead of a timming belt, please advise what I can do? And secondly how much should it cost? Or is it a simple thing that I can fix myself.

"I am only a Computer technician, not a mechanic!" (Quote from Deforest Kelly aka Dr.McCoy.)

You don't lubricate alternators.

Didn't McCoy say " For God's sake, I am a doctor not a ???, but I do believe I can cure a rainy day".

Didn't McCoy say " For God's sake, I am a doctor not a ???, but I do believe I can cure a rainy day".

Anyways, I got it fixed for $89 Tax incl. It was just the sepertine belt. I had it fixed at the dealer, they also gave me a free car wash and quick cleaning inside the car.

Anyways, I got it fixed for $89 Tax incl. It was just the sepertine belt. I had it fixed at the dealer, they also gave me a free car wash and quick cleaning inside the car.

Great price at a dealer.

My 2005 CE started squeaking around 35000 miles. It was the serpentine belt. Ordered one online for about $35, and put it on myself. Squeaking stopped. Waiting for this one to go at 70K.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)