Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Stereo Replacement Wiring

by lawson23, January 3, 2008

First I want to give a big thank you for this guide as it was very very helpful as it says it doesn't cover 01 it fit almost 100%.

Anyways to the wiring and my question.

Toyota Wiring  New Stereo (pretty typical)
Right Front Speaker (+) GreenGray
Right Front Speaker (-)  Blue   Gray - Black Stripe
Left Front Speaker (+)   Pink  White
Left Front Speaker (-)   Purple White - Black Stripe
Right Rear Speaker (+)   Red  Purple
Right Rear Speaker (-)   White Purple - Black Stripe
Left Rear Speaker (+)BlackGreen
Left Rear Speaker (-)Yellow Green - Black Stripe
12 Volt Ignition WireGray   Red
12 Volt Battery Wire Blue - Yellow Stripe  Yellow
Ground Wire  Brown (confirmed Haynes Manual)Black
???????  White - Green (bluish) Stripe  ???????
???????  Green (bluish) ???????

What are these last two wires for??? Currently I have them just taped off with electrical tape.

Is the antenna powered????

Welcome to the forum. Those extra wires are probably there for power antenna and amplifier turn-on applications. Neither of which were standard in US bound 8th gen Corollas. Also could be part of the AVC-LAN systen (Audio Visual Communication-Local Area Network) - that Toyota used with other audio/video/communication manufacturers. These will allow future integration of Navi systems, cellular, and advanced audio/video apps. Again, none of which were available at that time for the Corolla - but nice to know that the car had future upgradability in mind.

No the last two would be for power antenna and dimmer - factory radios have a display that dims with the rest of interior lights when you turn the knob.

However my car didn't have power antenna, nor the wires for it, but my factory wiring book has a page for it.

Color of aftermarket stereo wires are pretty standardized. When I wired a Toyota harness to my JVC deck the wires matched up 100% even when they are bought from different companies, couple years apart.

Bikeman982

I am looking for the standard wiring harness (or at least the connectors) for a 7th generation Corolla.

My current project car came without any standard wiring.

It is obvious that at one time it had an aftermarket system (speakers included), but by the time I got the car, it had nothing.

I am attempting to return it to stock and I need the two connectors (maybe with a little bit of wiring) to splice into the dash wires.

If all wiring is standardized, are the connectors as well?

I have a couple of aftermarket wiring adapters, but they do not work for the stock radio.

I am looking for the standard wiring harness (or at least the connectors) for a 7th generation Corolla.My current project car came without any standard wiring.

It is obvious that at one time it had an aftermarket system (speakers included), but by the time I got the car, it had nothing.

I am attempting to return it to stock and I need the two connectors (maybe with a little bit of wiring) to splice into the dash wires.

If all wiring is standardized, are the connectors as well?

I have a couple of aftermarket wiring adapters, but they do not work for the stock radio.

I have a box of wires extracted from a 98 Corolla from a junkyard. I may be able to source you some wire. Just cover my postage. PM me. default_wink

Otherwise, do what I did with your local junkyard.

The connector you can try the dealer or 1sttoyotaparts.

• 1,424 posts
If all wiring is standardized, are the connectors as well?I have a couple of aftermarket wiring adapters, but they do not work for the stock radio.

The connectors are not standardized across the entire automotive industry, let alone between OEM and aftermarket.

This has to do with "Zero Defect Assembly" If the connectors are different, say one square connector for power and one rectangular for speakers and each connector has a tab on it that lines up with a slot on the stereo, then it is impossible to put the power harness into the speaker slot and visa versa, it is also impossible to insert the stereo harnesses the wrong way.

They use different connectors on different cars because they have different stereos that require different inputs and have different outputs.

For instance, Toyotas and Pontiacs will not have the same stereo connectors (except the Vibe and Matrix) The reason for this is that the Toyota's stereo is simply a stereo, it only needs power, ground, antenna and speaker outputs.

The Pontiac's stereo is much more than a stereo, it is a databus controller. It alone operates the OnStar system, the central timer, which is responsible for the intermittent wipers, defroster timer, dome light time out, etc. It also contains some programming for the vehicle's anti-theft system as well as the keyless entry. That stereo not only needs the wiring the Toyota has, but about 30 more wires in total.

Clearly you can not use the same harness for those two stereos. Since the harnesses are different, the connectors end up being different as well so there is not confusion about which harness is for what vehicle.

Wiring colors are a different story. The adapter harnesses you buy to plug into your factory harness so you can splice in a new stereo without hacking your original wiring follow industry standard color coding. That means that most times you can connect the adapter harness to the aftermarket stereo harness by color alone.

BTW, I highly recommend that anyone who is replacing their stock stereo buy an adapter harness. It simply plugs into your old harness and gives you wires to splice your new stereo into. When you go to sell the car, you can pull the new stereo out, unsnap the adapter harness and you still have your factory plug intact to plug back into your factory stereo. Not only is this easy for you because you can splice the wires outside of the car, but it is nice for the next owner because if they want to go to an aftermarket system, they can just use an adapter also instead of dealing with a hacked up wiring harness like some of you have found in your cars.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)