Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2009 Corolla

by muzak, January 2, 2008 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

I saw my friend today that works at the nearby Cambridge Toyota plant and he said they started production on the '09's just after Christmas last week. He said he likes them as they look a bit like the new Camrys.

What engine does 2009 corolla have? Is it a newly designed engine or been in use for a while now?

• 1,424 posts
What engine does 2009 corolla have? Is it a newly designed engine or been in use for a while now?

The LE, XLE and S use an all new 1.8L motor.

It is not the 1ZZFE, despite it having 1.8L of displacement.

The XRS is back featuring the 2.4L 2AZFE motor, also found in the Camry and Solara as well as the Rav4.

The engine alone is the reason I am driving a Solara instead of a 2009 Corolla.

If I was to buy another Corolla it would have been an XLE with the 2.4L motor. Toyota doesn't offer that as an option.

I will not buy the car with a 1.8L, it is not powerful enough to compete with the 2.3L Mazda3.

Nor will I buy the XRS to get the 2.4L motor, it lacks too many features found on the XLE model that I want and it is too stylized for my taste.

friendly_jacek

I'm surprised that MPG went slightly lower with the newer engine in 2009 (27/35 mpg IIRC).

Any comments?

Depends on what model years you are comparing the numbers to. Also keep in mind that both the new EPA mileage estimate numbers (2008+ model years) and revised SAE horsepower figures (2006+ model years) are being used.

Even compared to 2008, the upcoming 2009 models have lost 1 MPG city and several highway. It's because the Corolla's gotten much porkier. Curb weight is expected to increase by roughly 200 lbs. It's also gotten over 2 inches wider so CdA has increased which would explain the impact on highway MPG.

i for 1 , will not buy a new corollas, unless they increase the leg room.

Its a pitty that this car has so little leg room.

I'll pay more for a less economical car, my sore back is not worth it.

Max

Here's a pretty favorable review addressing the comfort of the '09:

Motor Trend article

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)