Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Ion Generators

by induction1, October 18, 2004

anyone know what could be expected if a small ion generator (- or +) were placed somewhere in the intake? any range of high voltages could be used. what about installation somewhere along the line in the exhaust? are there any implications toward performance or mpg? anything else helps. thanks

You can expect a minor increase in performance and mpg due to the weight reduction of your wallet.

I believe ion drive is only a viable means of propulsion in a weightless and airless environment such as space. You need approx. zero drag to achieve acceleration... very gradual acceleration.

default_dry

You can expect a minor increase in performance and mpg due to the weight reduction of your wallet.

Oh! That's good. default_biggrin

yes, i believe i've heard that 12 million times. thank you. anyway, i'm getting at the idea of charging the mixture for modified combustion. maybe the ionized air would attach itself to the fuel particles and even out the burn, etc. i don't know; that's why i'm asking. if nothing else, could this potentially pull more contaminants out of the air before reaching the air filter? concerning the exhaust, could it possibly convert the exhaust gAsses in a similar fashion as the cat conv for better pollution control?

any physics buffs with serious answers? anything else helps.

thanks

Funny you should ask - I do have advanced degrees in Mathematics and Physics.

Ion generation has been around since the beginning of time. Anytime a charge is applied/removed to/from a particle (atom, molecule) - you effectively create an "ion" - a result of having lost or gained one or more electrons.

This has been part of the recent "techno/buzz word" revolution where if it sounds impressive - it must really work. Ion generation has been applied to cleaning the air, improving moods, increasing performance of automobiles. About the same level as those magnets that people snap onto their fuel line to "break apart the molecules and promote a more efficient combustion".

While the principle idea (Physics) behind these devices are sound - the application is far from being anything revolutionary. Except for the amount of revenue they generate. They boast scientific research behind them - but look up the references, they are either bogus, or clinical trials - too many uncontrolled variables to be considered a valid, scientifically.

Anything that you place inside the intake will reduce overall air flow. No amount of ions will help overcome that. Keep in mind that most ion generation - charged plates, coils, rods, etc - there is a chance of ozone being produced. We all know what ozone will do to most components.

Doesn't mean that ion technology isn't viable - just not for this type of application.

Topic List