Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Hey I Got An Exhaust Leak Question

Guest toyotacorollafx

hey everyone, i just replaced my distributor cap and rotor and my 88 toyota corolla fx still stalls. I was wondering if my exhaust leak has to do with the problem? When i press the gas u hear this rattling sound inthe engine. THe engine is in good shape the mechanic said its an exhaust leak tho. And also i looked in my tailpipe while the car was on and hot and it was sort of sputtering which is unusual. ANy adivce please help.

Could be an exhaust leak. Could also be excessive system backpressure - like a collapsed or kinked pipe or damaged muffler. The cat could also be slagged over or might be broken up inside, if it one of the honeycomb/ceramic style of cat.

As for the rattling - coulb be a heatshield or someting bumping up against the exhasut pipe or other part of the engine. The engine could have sucked in a valve too - I had that happen once.

If you live in an area that needs a emission check - see what the emission as like - that will tell you quite a bit as what the cause might be.

Good Luck.

Topic List