Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oversized Tires On Newer Corolla

by friendly_jacek, October 17, 2004 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

friendly_jacek

Anybody tried something bigger on 2003+ corolla?

My 2003 corolla S came with 195-65R15. When I look at the car when my wife drives, the tires look smallish with this tall compact car. It sounds like there is enough room to put something bigger (I do not plan to change the rims though).

Maybe 215-60R15?

If you install larger tires, you'll upset the delicate balance that gives your Corolla it's legandary reliability. The speedometer will not read correctly, you will impose more stress on the brakes, and you will lose acceleration. This assumes that the larger tires don't have clearance problems inside the wheel wells, partucularly while turning, braking, going over bumps, or with a load in the car.

I would stick with the standard tire size, which is determined to be best for your Corolla. Why mess with perfection?

The Corolla probably won't take anything larger than a 205 width tire. You could try something wider - but that would require a wheel wider than 7" to safely hold the tire. Don't think there is that much room under there - definitely be some clearance issues. If you want to put something bigger there - best way is to upgrade the wheels. Try not to cram larger tires on the OEM wheels. As long as you don't crazy with the size - you can get some decent tires there with not much difference in unsprung weight.

You don't buy a Corlla ot look "cool" in.... but I agree with the previous post, some 205's would probably fit without rubbing the wheel well.

Going to a 17" rim and 205's should give a dramatically more aggresive look compared ot the stock 195's on 15" rims.

The trade off will be more road feel/vibration from the lower profile tires. However the lower unsprung weight (if you buy descent alloy wheels) should improve the ride over medium and large bumps and handling and braking should over all imporve on dry pavement. Traction in the rain in snow will actually be lower in most cases.

you think 195/65R15s are bad.............when the current platform corolla first came out the basic corolla has 175/75R14s!!!

2003+ Corolla 15" wheels are 6" wide, which are fine for a 205 wide tire. When my CE's 185/65/15's wear out, I'll be going to 205/60/15. I wouldn't go any wider than 205 though, as the sidewalls will bulge and flex and actually lower your cornering ability.

friendly_jacek

2003+ Corolla 15" wheels are 6" wide, which are fine for a 205 wide tire. When my CE's 185/65/15's wear out, I'll be going to 205/60/15. I wouldn't go any wider than 205 though, as the sidewalls will bulge and flex and actually lower your cornering ability.

Thanks mercury,

I thought more about it and decided that 205/60R15 is the way to go, even though the radius will be 3mm smaller than 195/65R15. BTW, this is the same size I have on my Subaru.

I noticed that Corolla CE has smaller tires from factory. This is radiculous especially since the gearing/spedometer/odometer is not likely to be different on CE, or is it?

I noticed that Corolla CE has smaller tires from factory. This is radiculous especially since the gearing/spedometer/odometer is not likely to be different on CE, or is it?

I found that to be odd as well. The instrument cluster is a different part than the LE and S, but I doubt the CE's is recalibrated. The different size actually causes about a 2.0% error in speed and distance travelled. I think Toyota is screwing me out of a few hundred miles on my warranty.

Then again, maybe the CE's instrument cluster does have a different calibration.

Dai_Shan

Maybe getting biggers tires would fix my 05 (S)....seems it always is read 1-3 mph lower then i am actually going (according to gauges) when i pass Police Signs (that display speed). (every time...even if cars infront of me are reading correctly)

some 205's sound good to me.

I put some 17's on my Corolla 2004 and the traction was much better. Acceleration improved. Only difference is you feel the road more such as bumps, potholes, etc. But if your on a smooth road... There great. In any car your going to have a bumpy ride on a warped road with cracks, dips, holes, rocks, whatever. But just like driving in any car, avoid'em!

Guest Andy

I’m curious about this as well and agree that nothing can be done to make a corolla look cool bc it’s not a cool car. I want some practical tires that will give me traction on all terrains and in snow. I have a 2006 with 15 in rims...anyone out there try all terrains? If so, what size should I be looking at?

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering