Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

First Time Removal Of Oil Filter

by badandy, November 18, 2007

• 55 posts

I hope I am not stating something that has been discussed in the past, But I changed the oil out at 700 miles and boy was it hard to the oil filter off. Has anyone else have this problem.Also when is it considered a good point to switch over to synthetic oil? Thanks. P.S. great little car

I hope I am not stating something that has been discussed in the past, But I changed the oil out at 700 miles and boy was it hard to the oil filter off. Has anyone else have this problem.Also when is it considered a good point to switch over to synthetic oil? Thanks. P.S. great little car

go get a socket wrench fitting that goes over the oil filter, and you will enjoy taking the oil filter off.

Allen M.

go get a socket wrench fitting that goes over the oil filter, and you will enjoy taking the oil filter off.

Oh I agree fully. It's so much easier. Plus, having worked on cars most of my adult life (which is why I'm so frustrated about my axle. default_dry ) I have found that that first filter removal is always the most dificult, but it's normal.

The OEM filter on my Corolla was also put on so tight, I couldn't easily remove it.

Some tricks to use - the above mentioned oil filter wrenches - will have to go with a cap type or similar, due to the limited amount of room there. Not much room to through a band type filter wrench under there. Using rubber kitchen gloves for extra grip will also help, same thing with a couple of pieces of sandpaper wrapped around the oil filter can. If all else fails - use some slip-joint pliers to deform the can and remove it or drive a screw driver though the filter and use that to turn the filter.

Shop of the shop guys sometimes use a long screwdriver or punch on the lip closest to the block, give it a quick tap with a hammer to help it turn. Though you have to be pretty nimble to go that route.

My tool of choice is similar to this guy - https://www.amazon.com/Car-Oil-Filter-Wrench-1/dp/B000HTPKFE

Similar to the cap type filter wrenches - but this one has ears that will crush the can slightly, as you attempt to loosen it, to remove even the most stubborn filters. The harder the filter is to turn, the more the wrench bites into the filter.

Bikeman982

The trick on removing an oil filter is to not put it on too tight.

It is recommended that when a filter is installed, coat the seal with a little clean oil and put on hand tight.

When you need to get it off, it will be easier.

When you have a very tight one - find a strong man (or me, if I am around) and have him take it off.

If you have to do it yourself - get a pair of good gloves and muscle it off.

If it still does not come off - try an oil filter wrench - many types are available.

If all else fails, push a long screwdriver thru the center of it and rotate it with some leverage.

I have torn apart stubborn filters, but eventually you get it off.

Good luck!

K_Watson

Another reason it may be so "tight" is maybe because the factory may not coat the ring with oil before the filter is installed. That would cause the gasket, ring, whatever it is to stick to the metal surface.

Bikeman982

Another reason it may be so "tight" is maybe because the factory may not coat the ring with oil before the filter is installed. That would cause the gasket, ring, whatever it is to stick to the metal surface.

The factory probably puts it on with an oil filter wrench, or a machine.

Topic List