Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Allen M. November 17, 2007

Allen M.

Hello All, I am at my whits end.

I have a 1999 Corolla VE 3sp automoatic. I am in the middle of removing the passenger side axle and replacing it. I cannot get the axle to come out of the transmission side. I've pounded it, pryed it, pryed and pounded at the same time, yanked on it with one hand and pryed with the other. Nothing. It does wiggle, but it will not come out all the way. Any sugestions? I'm so close to being done this. (This is my second weekend in a row trying to do this)

Thanks,

Allen

default_unsure

Might have to breakout the big tools to pry the axle from the transaxle side. For really stubborn ones, I've taken a Superbar, some scrap pieces of hardwood, and a ball-peen hammer to tap on the driveaxles and "persuade" them to come out. Try rotating the end of the axle as you pry/tap on it a bit - might be enough to get the splines to slid out. Sounds like the axles is cocked an a slight angle and wedged itself in there. I usually have more problems with the hub end than the transaxle side - due to corrosion. Good Luck.

Allen M.

Might have to breakout the big tools to pry the axle from the transaxle side. For really stubborn ones, I've taken a Superbar, some scrap pieces of hardwood, and a ball-peen hammer to tap on the driveaxles and "persuade" them to come out. Try rotating the end of the axle as you pry/tap on it a bit - might be enough to get the splines to slid out. Sounds like the axles is cocked an a slight angle and wedged itself in there. I usually have more problems with the hub end than the transaxle side - due to corrosion. Good Luck.

I don't want to sound nieve, but what do you mean by a "superbar"? Right about now, I'll try anything. Thank you.

Sorry - the Superbar is demolition bar, that works like a crowbar - should be able to pick these up at most hardware, lumber retailers. These are made from a more flexible metal than a standard crowbar, and has a unique shape to give you a bit more leverage to pry on stuff. The bar will fit in between places that a regular crowbar will not fit it - and works a lot better than the large screwdriver that I used to use without sacrificing mobility (superbar is about the same length of my big screwdriver ~ 18-20" long).

Allen M.

Sorry - the Superbar is demolition bar, that works like a crowbar - should be able to pick these up at most hardware, lumber retailers. These are made from a more flexible metal than a standard crowbar, and has a unique shape to give you a bit more leverage to pry on stuff. The bar will fit in between places that a regular crowbar will not fit it - and works a lot better than the large screwdriver that I used to use without sacrificing mobility (superbar is about the same length of my big screwdriver ~ 18-20" long).

How do you recomend doing this procedure? Bar on axle, wood on bar, strike wood with hammer? I'm about ready to but some C4 under it and blow it up! Thanks again.

I'd try hooking the bar under the lip of the axle and leveraging off the piece of hardwood shimmed between the bar and transaxle. You'd be surprised on how much force you can put on the bar before the axle will wiggle out - don't worry, the transaxle is pretty tough. You can also tap the axle with a hammer to see if shakes something loose - though pretty hard to do without someone else there to help out.

Some shops use a slide hammer to pull the axle out of the transaxle - like using a dent puller, but with a much bigger slide hammer. Sounds like the little snap ring that sits on the end of the axle has popped off or distorted a bit. That makes pulling the axle end a pain.

If all else fail - then you can use the C4 - though it sounds like in this case, it'll blow the car up before the transaxle lets go of the axle end.

Bikeman982

I use a tire iron.

My method is to push the axle in as far as it will go,

put the tire iron against the groove on the CV joint casing and give it a good pry against the engine brace.

It takes a quick, jerky motion (be careful to wear gloves and not scrape the knuckles).

I have taken out numerous axles this way and some are pretty tough, but eventually you will get it.

Press on with pride!!

Allen M.

Thank you so much for all your help, I'm off to plug away again. I'll report back. One more question....do you think putting in Neutral will help?

Allen M.

Oh wow. What do I say? Where do I start? My Father-in-law and I got frustrated, bought a come-along at home depot, put a lag bolt in the oak beam in my barn, hooked it up, yanked, out comes the axle........minus the inner joint that is STILL stuck in the transmission. NOW WHAT? default_sad

Bikeman982

Oh wow. What do I say? Where do I start? My Father-in-law and I got frustrated, bought a come-along at home depot, put a lag bolt in the oak beam in my barn, hooked it up, yanked, out comes the axle........minus the inner joint that is STILL stuck in the transmission. NOW WHAT? default_sad
Do you mean the axle came out with the CV joint on it and the rubber boot came with the axle?

You must have left the CV joint housing still in the differential. That is the part you have to "pop" out.

I use a tire iron and stick it in the groove. Then I give it a quick pry against the engine brace.

It usually takes a couple of tries, but it will come out!

P.S. Putting it in neutral will make it harder, since the hosung will rotate when you don't want it to.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)