Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By zcpro, October 14, 2004

Hi,

I need some help guys. I have 2000 Corolla VE with 100,000 + plus miles and it still runs great. I recently stared noticing problems starting the car in the morning or if I leave it parked for 20 minutes or more. It will start cracking and loses power; unless I let the engine warm for about 5 minutes, after that the car is ok. Any suggestions???

Do you know what code was returned by the ECU? Need a bit more info on the problem - always have a problem with power after a cold or warm start? better or worse with differnet weather, temps? noticed any usual color of exhaust, blue, white, black smoke?

I haven't had a computer diagnostic on the car. When the check engine light comes on, what I do is disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and the light will only come on again if I overfill the gas tank.

I had this problem (check engine light) since I first bought the car. The Toyota dealer had brought down the whole gas tank to disconnect some type of hose or sensor on the gas tank. This was about 3 years ago and until now the light stared to come on again.

What stared to happen now is hesitation and cranking when I start the car in the morning or if I leave it parked for 20 minutes or more. If I let the engine warm up this will not happen.

If the CEL comes on again - probably be a good idea to pull the code - some auto parts stores can pull the code free. Might be a totally different problem than before.

Since it is a 1998 - ****uming, no fuel delivery problems, I'd start by looking at the plug wires, spark plugs, and ignition coil pack. If it runs well after warming up - but not when cold or cooled down for a while - then ignition problems are usually the first things that might come up. Other things to check are a clogged PCV valve, EGR problems, vacuum leaks, dirty throttle body, emissions issues (carcoal canister, VSV, vents and purge valves). If you tend to "top-off" the tank - you could have killed the charcoal canister (flooded it with gas). No other fix for that other than to replace it. If it is a emission related problem - you may be covered under the Toyota extended emission warranty. Search on this forum or do a search on the net.

Good Luck.

Max

First thing to do is stop overfilling your tank. Don't top off, ever. When it clicks, you're done. Toyotas are notoriously sensitive to overfilling.

If you stop by an Auto Zone or similar parts place, they will usually read your ECU code for free. The quickest way to find out what's wrong is to have that done. Let us know- and good luck!

fishexpo101 & Max - Thank you for the advice. The symptom seems to have reduced slightly after I cleaned and recharged my K&N filter and replaced the sparkplugs with NGK Iridium X. The only thing I couldn't replace was the PCV Valve & spark plugs wires (it doesn’t use wires or a rotor). My local auto parts store list 2 different sizes a 30mm & 40mm. Do you know where the PCV is located??

Yeah - a 1998 Corolla (1ZZFE) engine code doesn't have a cap and rotor - just plugwires and ignition coil pack.

The PCV valve is on the end of the valve cover - mounted in a rubber fitting, right next to the ignition coil pack. You may have to remove the plastic engine cover, if you haven't already done so or if it was equipped with one. As for the two sized - hard to say - there is only one size that will fit. Probably ther two sizes refer to the PCV valve coming with or without the rubber grommet that gets pushed into the valve cover - as I've seen replacement parts come both ways. If you want to play it safe - get them from the dealer, the price for the plug wires and PCV are only a few bucks different in cost.

Good Luck.

Topic List