Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2008 Corolla,

Guest 2008corolla

Hey everybody,

My wife and I are proud new owners of a 2008 Corolla CE (5 speed Manual) and we are loving it! It has about 500 miles and we love the MPG! I would not change it for anything.

There is one issue though. Every once in a while, the engine will not start. When turning the key, the dashboard lights will come on but the engine wont start, only after a couple of tries. I read the manual and found out that it probably has to do with the engine immobilizer or using an unauthorized key. We are using our keys from the dealership, so we don't know what else to check.

Is there anything else that could be causing this issue?

Thanks for your help!!

Congrats on your purchase. I know on some early 9th gen Corollas and a few new ones - the clutch interlock swich can bend out of place, making for intermittent contact. This will cause the car to think that the clutch is not engaged fully and will not start. A simple fix - but I would definitely bring this to the dealership - just to get a paper trail and work order on record.

Bikeman982

Definitely have the dealer check it out, since your car is still under warranty and they should fix anything that is not right.

Definitely have the dealer check it out, since your car is still under warranty and they should fix anything that is not right.

You really need to depress the clutch fully to the floor to get the starter to engage.

Try depressing forcefully next time it fails. If not the case or if switch seems too difficult, see the dealer.

Max

Bob is spot on. I had the same problem when I first bought my car. Get that clutch pedal tightly to the floor.

Bikeman982

Also make sure the car is in "P" for park. Will not start in drive.

Max

Manual transmission cars don't have "Park."

Bikeman982

That's right - maybe I should have said "N", as in Neutral??

• 1,424 posts

You can start the car in any gear, but you must have the clutch fully depressed so it trips the clutch-starter interlock.

The interlock assumes that you are starting the car in gear. Otherwise it would make no sense. If you start a manual transmission car in neutral there is no possibility of it jumping and thus the interlock is protecting you and others from absolutely nothing. If you start it in gear without the clutch in all the way, it will jump and could damage property or cause injury and thus an interlock called the clutch-starter interlock was installed on cars starting in the 1980s to keep you from doing this.

I personally never start the car in neutral whenever I drive stick. I just start it in whatever gear it was left in last and then put it into whatever gear I need if it is necessary. I've never had a car jump on me during startup thanks to the clutch-starter interlock, and I'm glad it is there for the safety of my car, other's cars and others (as people).

Bikeman982

You can start the car in any gear, but you must have the clutch fully depressed so it trips the clutch-starter interlock.

The interlock assumes that you are starting the car in gear. Otherwise it would make no sense. If you start a manual transmission car in neutral there is no possibility of it jumping and thus the interlock is protecting you and others from absolutely nothing. If you start it in gear without the clutch in all the way, it will jump and could damage property or cause injury and thus an interlock called the clutch-starter interlock was installed on cars starting in the 1980s to keep you from doing this.

I personally never start the car in neutral whenever I drive stick. I just start it in whatever gear it was left in last and then put it into whatever gear I need if it is necessary. I've never had a car jump on me during startup thanks to the clutch-starter interlock, and I'm glad it is there for the safety of my car, other's cars and others (as people).

Is it an adjustable switch that is somehow linked to the clutch pedal?

Max

Come to think of it, 99, I'm always in gear when I start my car, too. 1st if I've backed in someplace or reverse if I'm in my garage.

It might not be the clutch switch. We have a 05 and it does it sometimes. It acts like it doesn't have fuel pressure or something. I think it's partly due to the returnless fuel system. We had another newer car that had the same problem, only worse.

Your car is under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much. If it gets worse, or it's just too bad for you, take it to the dealer. They will probably replace your fuel pump.

It might not be the clutch switch. We have a 05 and it does it sometimes. It acts like it doesn't have fuel pressure or something. I think it's partly due to the returnless fuel system. We had another newer car that had the same problem, only worse.

Your car is under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much. If it gets worse, or it's just too bad for you, take it to the dealer. They will probably replace your fuel pump.

A good point if the switch isn't the culprit here.

My girlfriend had the same problem when I first got my 08 LE, I kept telling her you have to push the clutch pedal though the firewall to get it to start. I never had a problem getting it started.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)