Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Starter Question..important Please Answer Quick

Guest toyotacorollafx

How do u know if u need a new solenoid, starter, or just new contact points on ur starter?

Guest cobrajet25

On most modern cars, they are all one unit. Not sure what kind of car you have (assume it's some kind of Corolla), but it is usually cheaper and easier to replace the whole starter/solenoid/points assembly with a rebuilt one of you are having trouble. Make sure all of your connections are good, and if they are and you still have trouble, replace the whole thing. Regards, Aaron

Access-Denied (+1)

I think when the contact points go bad, the starter will just click. And do nothing. That's what happened to me. I just replaced the whole thing. 100 bucks auto zone, life time warranty.

Guest toyotacorollafx

100 bucks from autozone including installation?

100 bucks from autozone including installation?

AutoZone is a parts store, so no; the price is just the part, which you'd need to install yourself. If you take the car to a mechanic, I think they'd want between a half hour and an hour labor to do the job. Around here (Kentucky), labor rates are very cheap at $50-$60 per hour (independent garages, not dealers), and mechanics usually mark up their parts just a bit, so you'd probably be looking at about $150-$200 for a starter, installed.

-Dave

Or, you can get one from a salvage yard for even less. Wifey's starter quit and I installed a used one from a '99 for $50, took me less than one hour to install and hasn't skipped a beat since.

A rebuilt unit from O'Really was almost $200 and was defective right out of the box - even more upsetting, it was the only one available in town with over 20 O'Really locations, and it failed on Friday night when she had to be back in the office on Monday. Needless to say, the salvage yard came through for me where a new parts supplier couldn't. I wasn't about to spend $350+ for one from the dealer.

Just replace the contacts in the solenoid. Works 95% of the time in most Toyotas, and if it doesn't work you're out like $15 in parts, ****uming you provide your own labor. The 93-97 Corollas are more likely to take a new starter, due to their nice high heat location by the exhaust manifold.

Access-Denied (+1)

hmmmm, I believe the exhaust maniford, and starter are away from each other on that year of car. Or it is on my 96. Maybe I should take a double look but I"m pretty sure of it.

Yeah 100 bucks just for the part. Took me and my old man something like 5 hours. But that including jacking the car up, running to the parts store (30 miles roundtrip), lunch, etc.

Topic List