Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By cMcD, October 16, 2007

I looked long and hard, test drove the Corolla and Yaris and decided on a Corolla, but I had a few requirements:

1. 5 speed

2. Power Windows and Locks

3. Keyless entry

My local dealer (only one for about 100 miles) had a CE on the lot and had two out of three options on one car. I told them I needed the keyless entry and salesmen #1 went to parts to find out how much to install. A quick stop at the service counter about installation times and he comes back with $800. I knew it was much too high but as I was talking to salesmen #2, my wife told him to write it up (kind of a suprise for me).

Well, they order the VIP alarm, tell me it will take 4.5 to 5 hours to install and I drop the car off at 8:00 this morning. At 5:00 (9 hours later) the salesmen goes back to find out what the hold up is and he tells me they are missing a part. It's too late to order it ovenight, but they will order "the part that works with the remotes" and have it in and ready by Wednesday.

Are there any Toyota techs or parts people on this board? Did I get hosed? I can't find the part they are thinking they are going to order. I believe, since they don't offer keyless on ANY CE model on the toyota website or brochure, that the receiver is in the ECU or BCM of the S and LE models.

I know both salesmen and trust them, I don't think they have a clue outside of what the parts guys and service idiots (<-- not a shot at service guys, just the local jokers at my dealership) tell them. I don't think they intentionally mislead me. I still haven't given them the $2000 down payment, and I told them they wouldn't get it until I got my car as promised (I do have an 'owe' slip for the keyless and alarm).

Help?

Bikeman982

They let you take the car without a down payment?

technically, he hasnt taken it anywhere, its stayed on the lot/in their shop so I can understand why they'd trust him on that one =P

Bikeman982

technically, he hasnt taken it anywhere, its stayed on the lot/in their shop so I can understand why they'd trust him on that one =P
Then technically the car has not been sold, since he has not given them any money for it.

Then technically the car has not been sold, since he has not given them any money for it.

Well, "technically" I signed a 60 finance note, and I did take possession of the car for a week while they ordered "parts" and "scheduled me for service", so yes, I am the legal owner. Their finance guy just didn't want to have to dig in his desk for a promissory note while we were signing papers.

Like I said, I know both the salesmen, have for many years, and us bringing the down payment a couple of days after the sale is nothing new. On my wife's last car we bought from them, a 2006 Matrix, we didn't have enough down so they delayed the first finance payment and we made two $400 payments to them over the first two months. This isn't our first toyota, or the first one from this dealer, just my new car....

Well, Corollas are probably different, but on my Nissan Frontier as long as the vehicle has power locks and windows then it already has keyless entry. For some reason they just didn't include the FOBs, you had to buy them and that's all keyless entry was at first. The FOBs are included now. But like I said, I doubt Corollas are the same way.

Well, Corollas are probably different, but on my Nissan Frontier as long as the vehicle has power locks and windows then it already has keyless entry. For some reason they just didn't include the FOBs, you had to buy them and that's all keyless entry was at first. The FOBs are included now. But like I said, I doubt Corollas are the same way.

The S and LE models have it as an option, and from what I understand, it's just order the fobs and program them. Toyota does NOT list keyless as an option on the CE period. That's why I'm more than a little sceptical of them "ordering the part that works with the remotes" and getting it to work.

• 1,424 posts
The S and LE models have it as an option, and from what I understand, it's just order the fobs and program them. Toyota does NOT list keyless as an option on the CE period. That's why I'm more than a little sceptical of them "ordering the part that works with the remotes" and getting it to work.

NO, the LE model has keyless entry as standard, and it comes with the fobs (I know because I have a 2005 Corolla LE) and the 'S' has it as an option, but it is included with the package that has the power windows/cruise or the package that includes power windows/cruise/alloy wheels, so virtually all Corolla 'S' have keyless entry.

It isn't simply a matter of ordering the fobs and programming them. The LE has a black box that 'S' without keyless entry does not, that box is the keyless entry receiver and processor.

What you are getting isn't a keyless entry system, you have purchased a VIP alarm/keyless entry. It is a dealer installed option that can be installed on any Toyota with power door locks, including those without any kind of factory keyless entry. There are two types of VIP systems though, they probably ordered the one for cars with factory keyless entry, you needed the one for cars without. The one for cars with factory keyless entry is missing a receiver for the remote signal, which is included in the system for cars without keyless entry such as yours.

I would not say that you are getting ripped off for a Alarm/keyless entry install for $800, but you should have been able to pay less for it. I would pay $800 for a Compustar alarm/keyless, but it is a way better system than the VIP. A better option than paying $800 for the VIP would have been to take the car to Circuit City, Best Buy or some other car electronics shop and pay $200 for a basic keyless entry system.

NO, the LE model has keyless entry as standard, and it comes with the fobs (I know because I have a 2005 Corolla LE) and the 'S' has it as an option, but it is included with the package that has the power windows/cruise or the package that includes power windows/cruise/alloy wheels, so virtually all Corolla 'S' have keyless entry.

It isn't simply a matter of ordering the fobs and programming them. The LE has a black box that 'S' without keyless entry does not, that box is the keyless entry receiver and processor.

What you are getting isn't a keyless entry system, you have purchased a VIP alarm/keyless entry. It is a dealer installed option that can be installed on any Toyota with power door locks, including those without any kind of factory keyless entry. There are two types of VIP systems though, they probably ordered the one for cars with factory keyless entry, you needed the one for cars without. The one for cars with factory keyless entry is missing a receiver for the remote signal, which is included in the system for cars without keyless entry such as yours.

I would not say that you are getting ripped off for a Alarm/keyless entry install for $800, but you should have been able to pay less for it. I would pay $800 for a Compustar alarm/keyless, but it is a way better system than the VIP. A better option than paying $800 for the VIP would have been to take the car to Circuit City, Best Buy or some other car electronics shop and pay $200 for a basic keyless entry system.

Thanks! My next question, since you seem more than knowledgeable on the specifics....

I originally asked for keyless entry, they said it was only available with the VIP. I didn't want the VIP. I wanted factory keyless. I spent about 8 years installing car alarms, stereo's, criuse controls, etc. I could have put in an aftermarket system for about $100 in about an hour, I wanted the factory keyless system.

Could they have just done the factory keyless WITHOUT the $800 alarm? This morning they are swearing that they "can install options Toyota doesn't list on the website or brocheures." If that's true, I still feel like they got one over on me.

• 1,424 posts
Thanks! My next question, since you seem more than knowledgeable on the specifics....I originally asked for keyless entry, they said it was only available with the VIP. I didn't want the VIP. I wanted factory keyless. I spent about 8 years installing car alarms, stereo's, criuse controls, etc. I could have put in an aftermarket system for about $100 in about an hour, I wanted the factory keyless system.

Could they have just done the factory keyless WITHOUT the $800 alarm? This morning they are swearing that they "can install options Toyota doesn't list on the website or brocheures." If that's true, I still feel like they got one over on me.

I understand why you don't want VIP. They tried to get me to buy it with my car and I turned them down. It is a worthless alarm system, and for what it's worth it isn't OEM either. It is made by a third party that Toyota has contracted with, making it aftermarket to me, regardless of who installs it. So you aren't getting a factory keyless entry by going the VIP route.

As for getting factory keyless entry, may be possible, may not be. If the wiring harness for the keyless receiver is present in your car then all they have to do is order the receiver and remotes, plug in the receiver and program the remotes. If you don't have the wiring, then it would be very difficult to integrate a factory system. My guess is that since all Corollas share a common wiring harness, the CE does have the wiring and is simply lacking the receiver.

My question to you is why do you want factory keyless entry so badly? My 2005 Corolla LE has it and quite honestly it is worthless compared to aftermarket systems. I'm an OEM freak and even I would have skipped the keyless entry option and installed an aftermarket keyless just to get a better system. For one, the range on the factory system isn't good, for two it can not open the trunk and for three, it only flashes the lights to confirm lock/unlock, it does not have a chirp or horn honk.

As for the dealer saying they can add options that Toyota doesn't list, etc. That isn't entirely true. While they can install VIP systems, cruise controls, CD changers, and auto-dimming mirrors, (which are technically accessories) they could not install ABS on CE models when it was not listed as an option for them, they can't install OEM tire pressure monitoring on cars that it isn't available on, nor could they install side airbags on cars not equipped with them, and they most certainly can't install a sunroof on a vehicle that was not equipped with one.

Personally I don't like the sound of your dealer's sales team. It sounds to me as if they are backpedaling every time you ask a question. From now on, I would get firm commitment on such issues of auto-dimming mirror installs, etc from the Service Writer, not from the sales force.

Thanks! My next question, since you seem more than knowledgeable on the specifics....I originally asked for keyless entry, they said it was only available with the VIP. I didn't want the VIP. I wanted factory keyless. I spent about 8 years installing car alarms, stereo's, criuse controls, etc. I could have put in an aftermarket system for about $100 in about an hour, I wanted the factory keyless system.

I understand why you don't want VIP. They tried to get me to buy it with my car and I turned them down. It is a worthless alarm system, and for what it's worth it isn't OEM either. It is made by a third party that Toyota has contracted with, making it aftermarket to me, regardless of who installs it. So you aren't getting a factory keyless entry by going the VIP route.

As for getting factory keyless entry, may be possible, may not be. If the wiring harness for the keyless receiver is present in your car then all they have to do is order the receiver and remotes, plug in the receiver and program the remotes. If you don't have the wiring, then it would be very difficult to integrate a factory system. My guess is that since all Corollas share a common wiring harness, the CE does have the wiring and is simply lacking the receiver.

My question to you is why do you want factory keyless entry so badly? My 2005 Corolla LE has it and quite honestly it is worthless compared to aftermarket systems. I'm an OEM freak and even I would have skipped the keyless entry option and installed an aftermarket keyless just to get a better system. For one, the range on the factory system isn't good, for two it can not open the trunk and for three, it only flashes the lights to confirm lock/unlock, it does not have a chirp or horn honk.

As for the dealer saying they can add options that Toyota doesn't list, etc. That isn't entirely true. While they can install VIP systems, cruise controls, CD changers, and auto-dimming mirrors, (which are technically accessories) they could not install ABS on CE models when it was not listed as an option for them, they can't install OEM tire pressure monitoring on cars that it isn't available on, nor could they install side airbags on cars not equipped with them, and they most certainly can't install a sunroof on a vehicle that was not equipped with one.

Personally I don't like the sound of your dealer's sales team. It sounds to me as if they are backpedaling every time you ask a question. From now on, I would get firm commitment on such issues of auto-dimming mirror installs, etc from the Service Writer, not from the sales force.

Like I said before, the sales team I trust, it's the service and parts that are backpeddling.

I wanted the factory keyless because it is factory. It increases the resale and if I have a problem with it, the dealer would cover it under warranty. Yes it's more expensive, but again, it increases the value over an aftermarket, and it is covered under the warranty. I don't want the chirp/honk, and I'm not worried about people breaking in. I wanted toyota fobs just like my wife's Matrix has. If I wanted an aftermarket alarm, I would have put one in myself.

With that said, I still have my $2k down payment, and my wife might have to use it for bail. I'm on my way down there now. Thanks for your help, wish me luck.

• 1,424 posts
Like I said before, the sales team I trust, it's the service and parts that are backpeddling.

I wanted the factory keyless because it is factory. It increases the resale and if I have a problem with it, the dealer would cover it under warranty. Yes it's more expensive, but again, it increases the value over an aftermarket, and it is covered under the warranty. I don't want the chirp/honk, and I'm not worried about people breaking in. I wanted toyota fobs just like my wife's Matrix has. If I wanted an aftermarket alarm, I would have put one in myself.

With that said, I still have my $2k down payment, and my wife might have to use it for bail. I'm on my way down there now. Thanks for your help, wish me luck.

A keyless entry system installed by the dealer isn't covered by the factory warranty even if it is a factory part. Dealer installed Toyota approved accessories carry their own 3 year 36k mile warranty if they are installed at the time of purchase. A factory system isn't an accessory and it wasn't installed by a factory, so it really has no warranty unless the dealer wants to warrant it themselves.

Toyota is tighter about warranty claims than other manufacturers. Supposedly they actually check the validity of claims. A claim on a factory keyless entry system on a CE when no such system existed when the car was manufacturered probably won't be honored.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just don't want you to think that you're covered when you aren't.

I hope you get this straightened out, I know how it is to have a problem with getting what you want out of a car.

My 2005 Corolla LE was a custom order, it took 87 days to come in and when it did the wheels were wrong. They were alloy wheels, but not the 6 spoke ones I ordered. I made the dealer switch the wheels on my car for another car's wheels to get what I wanted, but it was not easy and it took a while.

A keyless entry system installed by the dealer isn't covered by the factory warranty even if it is a factory part. Dealer installed Toyota approved accessories carry their own 3 year 36k mile warranty if they are installed at the time of purchase. A factory system isn't an accessory and it wasn't installed by a factory, so it really has no warranty unless the dealer wants to warrant it themselves.

Toyota is tighter about warranty claims than other manufacturers. Supposedly they actually check the validity of claims. A claim on a factory keyless entry system on a CE when no such system existed when the car was manufacturered probably won't be honored.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just don't want you to think that you're covered when you aren't.

I hope you get this straightened out, I know how it is to have a problem with getting what you want out of a car.

My 2005 Corolla LE was a custom order, it took 87 days to come in and when it did the wheels were wrong. They were alloy wheels, but not the 6 spoke ones I ordered. I made the dealer switch the wheels on my car for another car's wheels to get what I wanted, but it was not easy and it took a while.

Well, I think it's now resolved. I have a 2008 Corolla S with keyless entry, fog lights, and a sunroof. Thanks for all your advice.

• 1,424 posts
Well, I think it's now resolved. I have a 2008 Corolla S with keyless entry, fog lights, and a sunroof. Thanks for all your advice.

I must be psychic, I somehow knew that you would come back to the board with a deal worked out on another car that had factory keyless entry.

Enjoy your new car.

BTW, what color did you get?

I must be psychic, I somehow knew that you would come back to the board with a deal worked out on another car that had factory keyless entry.

Enjoy your new car.

BTW, what color did you get?

White. It might look kinda funny in my driveway with my Wife's 2006 Polar White Matrix next to it, but it just called out to me. "Spend the $198 extra and take me home!"

-------EDIT---------

Well... the little lady nixed that idea. Looks like they are going to order me a base LE for the original price. She didn't want to spend the extra $2000 on the S.

My sales team called this morning. They found me an LE in the original color nearby that they are going to have here tonight or tomorow. I've abandoned getting my hopes even slightly raised, but will let you know what eventually transpires.

I'm confused here. What new vehicle do you actually have sitting in your driveway right now?

• 1,424 posts
I'm confused here. What new vehicle do you actually have sitting in your driveway right now?

He doesn't have a new vehicle as of right now.

The Corolla CE he originally looked at and agreed to didn't happen because of the keyless entry debacle.

His wife nixed the idea of a S and they decided on a LE instead.

The dealer didn't have the right LE and so they arranged to get it from another dealer and it is currently on its way (hopefully).

Once it comes in and everything is satisfactory (crossing fingers), then he will have a new car.

The Corolla CE he originally looked at and agreed to didn't happen because of the keyless entry debacle.

The dealer didn't have the right LE and so they arranged to get it from another dealer and it is currently on its way (hopefully).

Once it comes in and everything is satisfactory (crossing fingers), then he will have a new car.

Well, that's about 99% right. Right now I have a 08 Sport as a loaner. But yeah, everything else you said is right on.... default_blink

I checked on the other dealers website and their new inventory of LE 5 speed Corolla's is one less, so it should be on the truck and on it's way. I'm hoping they have it before I have it here and ready by 5.

Bikeman982

Well, that's about 99% right. Right now I have a 08 Sport as a loaner. But yeah, everything else you said is right on.... default_blink

I checked on the other dealers website and their new inventory of LE 5 speed Corolla's is one less, so it should be on the truck and on it's way. I'm hoping they have it before I have it here and ready by 5.

Is that how they do things in New Mexico?

Yep, I am the proud owner of a 08 LE. When I picked it up yesterday morning, all the sales people were standing around it. My salesmen said no one had seen an 9th Gen LE 5 speed. In the hundreds they had sold, all had been autos.

• 1,424 posts

If another dealer has the exact car you want, it is your dealer's job to acquire it for you and have it shipped to them.

This is a routine transaction between dealers and very rarely are there problems doing this.

Dealers also frequently give customers loaner cars when they are waiting for a new car to come in and they don't have another car to drive. In fact, I would not purchase a car from a dealer who would not give me a loaner in that situation.

If you have a really good relationship with your dealer, you can work some nice things out. My neighbor once had a loaner car for a month while she waited for her Acura to come in. The dealer delivered her a new loaner car every week and took the old one back every week for a month. Needless to say, she still drives Acuras and will only buy vehicles from that dealer.

Bikeman982

If another dealer has the exact car you want, it is your dealer's job to acquire it for you and have it shipped to them.

This is a routine transaction between dealers and very rarely are there problems doing this.

Dealers also frequently give customers loaner cars when they are waiting for a new car to come in and they don't have another car to drive. In fact, I would not purchase a car from a dealer who would not give me a loaner in that situation.

If you have a really good relationship with your dealer, you can work some nice things out. My neighbor once had a loaner car for a month while she waited for her Acura to come in. The dealer delivered her a new loaner car every week and took the old one back every week for a month. Needless to say, she still drives Acuras and will only buy vehicles from that dealer.

That would help to insure customer loyalty!

Considering the prices of a new car, that is certainly something a customer can appreciate.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)