Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla Oil Leak

by blb, October 7, 2007

I'm considering the purchase of a 2000 Corolla with 99,000 miles for $1800, however it has a major oil leak. There is oil all around the alternator, A/C compressor, and all around all of the belt driven accessories. When the engines runs, the oil is slung all around by the moving belt and accessories and it's impossible to tell where the leak is originating, without cleaning everything off and watching carefully, which I can't do since I don't own it yet.

I seem to remember reading on here awhile back about a common issue with oil leakage on this engine, (timing chain tensioner maybe?) but I did a few searches and can't find the information.

Is there any source of oil leakage that is common for the 1ZZ engine?

I'm considering the purchase of a 2000 Corolla with 99,000 miles for $1800, however it has a major oil leak. There is oil all around the alternator, A/C compressor, and all around all of the belt driven accessories. When the engines runs, the oil is slung all around by the moving belt and accessories and it's impossible to tell where the leak is originating, without cleaning everything off and watching carefully, which I can't do since I don't own it yet.

I seem to remember reading on here awhile back about a common issue with oil leakage on this engine, (timing chain tensioner maybe?) but I did a few searches and can't find the information.

Is there any source of oil leakage that is common for the 1ZZ engine?

the common oil leak is timing chain cover, to repair you need valve cover gasket , FIPG , and crank seal as well

part is cheap, but alot labor to reseal timing chain cover. goodluck

Bikeman982

It would probably be the valve cover leaking.

The best way to tell would be to get the engine steam cleaned or use an engine degreaser.

Clean it all off and then start it up and look for a leak.

I usually just test the bolts and if there are some that are loose, I tighten them.

It usually stops the leak and will make the gasket seal better.

It does not always work and you may need to replace the gasket.

the common oil leak is timing chain cover, to repair you need valve cover gasket , FIPG , and crank seal as wellpart is cheap, but alot labor to reseal timing chain cover. goodluck

Do I need to drop the oil pan to pull the timing chain cover on this engine?

Does Toyota make a gasket for the timing chain cover, or do they use RTV from the factory?

What is FIPG?

Thanks.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)