Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Overdrive Button

by Cyberbilly, October 4, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

I love the Overdrive button.

I live in the metropolitan Washington DC area, and commute in my 2002 Corolla LE (automatic tranny) 100 miles a day round trip. Now if you know anything about commuting in the DC area, you know that on the approaching interstate highways people frequently drive at 75-80mph. So when I'm trying to keep pace, I will use the OD button to give me a little extra burst of oomph when I need it.

The only thing I don't like about the OD button is that it is on the side of the shifter so in order to use it, you must take one hand off the steering wheel. Not a good idea in 80mph traffic.

If I had my druthers, I'd like the OD button to be on the steering wheel, a la Speed Racer. I keep my hands at the 10 & 2 position, so having a button right at the 2 o'clock position where I could punch it in and out with my thumb would be wonderful.

In a perfect world, I would have a button on the steering wheel that wirelessly transmits to a receiver box wired into the OD button circuitry. Which brings me to my question: Is there any such thing out there? I'm sure there is no such device made specifically for this, but is there a company that makes thimble-sized transmitters and receivers?

Thanks.

Car audio remotes, the kind that straps to your steering wheel, can do it. Probably can modify a Bluetooth device to do the same.

Probably an easier way it to get a remote switch (wired) from a nitrous purging system to do that for you. They make brackets the fit behind the steering wheel to give you easy access. Other possibilities along those lines would be to mod a steering wheel to the Corolla from one that had some built in steering wheel controls for cruise control, radio, handsfree, etc. or modify an existing stalk you have with a button.

The last variant, I've seen personally - someone running a UniChip with multiple programs - as the need for a different program came out, he just had to toggle a microswitch on his existing windshild washer stalk to switch between modes.

Yeah, as for the DC Metro area - I know exactly what you mean, same deal when I worked in SoCal and Bay areas. All gas or all brake.

Bikeman982

You find it hard to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel?

I drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter (and it's an automatic).

You find it hard to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel?I drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter (and it's an automatic).

I didn't say it was hard; I said it wasn't safe at 80mph. default_ohmy

Car audio remotes, the kind that straps to your steering wheel, can do it. Probably can modify a Bluetooth device to do the same.

Probably an easier way it to get a remote switch (wired) from a nitrous purging system to do that for you. They make brackets the fit behind the steering wheel to give you easy access. Other possibilities along those lines would be to mod a steering wheel to the Corolla from one that had some built in steering wheel controls for cruise control, radio, handsfree, etc. or modify an existing stalk you have with a button.

The last variant, I've seen personally - someone running a UniChip with multiple programs - as the need for a different program came out, he just had to toggle a microswitch on his existing windshild washer stalk to switch between modes.

Yeah, as for the DC Metro area - I know exactly what you mean, same deal when I worked in SoCal and Bay areas. All gas or all brake.

Y'know, even a foot-control button, sort of like the old foot buttons to turn the highbeams on and off would be a big improvement. Since it's an automatic, the left foot isn't doing much anyway.

That would probably be pretty easy to do - pickup foot controlled switches fairly easily online, hook up would be pretty easy.

If I went to the trouble of going to all that - I'd probably go the route of changing the shift strategy of the transmission. On the other Toyota lineup - some came equipped with an ECT power button, that changed the behavior of the transmission electronically. Wasn't a big change, but was noticeable in the right conditions. Even the 7th gen Celica GT-S with 4-speed autos had "sport-shift" oriented programming. They would hold gears, when appropriate and downshift and upshift fairly aggressively - but still got decent gas mileage.

Fish,

The ECT on my truck is not so bad,

but on another vehicle i had (maybe I had a bad tranny), I found that it upshifted pretty hard.

Wonder if it was just that car... or generally with smaller engines? any insite?

Ummm... generally, in Michigan, all drivers do 80 (I was passed while doing 90+ yesterday). I often have lunch at those speeds... maybe that's why insurance is so high here... hmmm...

I like having the OD switch on the snipfer, where its out of the way. never use the button anyways. if i need to pass, stomp on the gas, it should automatically go into passing gear.

now my issue is that even when redlining, i dont have enough pick-up for what i want... maybe i will go the direction of nitrous...

sorry, just rambling.

tdk.

There you go - Nitrous - now you're talking default_biggrin. For those days where a little zip would help out - don't even have to worry about toggling the spray. Just arm it, run a TPS switch, as soon as the car goes WOT - automatic spray. Though you could add a user selectable switch - ala Hollywood style (Fast and Furious, Gone in 60 seconds, . Though it can be a pain due to some state's restriction of transporting nitrous oxide over state lines. Plus a 10lb bottle lasts about 15-20 good 5 second blasts (for a 50 shot - if I remember correctly).

There you go - Nitrous - now you're talking default_biggrin . For those days where a little zip would help out - don't even have to worry about toggling the spray. Just arm it, run a TPS switch, as soon as the car goes WOT - automatic spray. Though you could add a user selectable switch - ala Hollywood style (Fast and Furious, Gone in 60 seconds, . Though it can be a pain due to some state's restriction of transporting nitrous oxide over state lines. Plus a 10lb bottle lasts about 15-20 good 5 second blasts (for a 50 shot - if I remember correctly).

Where do you go to get Nitrous refills?

Bikeman982

You find it hard to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel?I drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter (and it's an automatic).

I didn't say it was hard; I said it wasn't safe at 80mph. default_ohmy

Try practicing watching the road and learn where the button is, so you can use it without looking.

Kind of like the volume to your radio - dangerous to look for when driving, but can be adjusted without looking at it.

I have a local speedshop that carries NOx.

I figure for $500-600 its the quickest cheapest way to get some additional oomph! (maybe not the "prefered" way... but cost effective.)

tdk.

Just like TheDarkKnight mentioned - local speed shops will carry nitrous. Some welding/chemical supply companies do as well, sometimes bodyshops will too. Last time I filled up a 10lb bottle, cost be about $20. Price varies quite a bit - but I've heard it run anywhere from $10 to $40 for a typical refill.

Just like TheDarkKnight mentioned - local speed shops will carry nitrous. Some welding/chemical supply companies do as well, sometimes bodyshops will too. Last time I filled up a 10lb bottle, cost be about $20. Price varies quite a bit - but I've heard it run anywhere from $10 to $40 for a typical refill.

How long does a bottle last? (Yeah, I know it depends on how much you use it, but) how many "blasts" can you get before you run out?

How long does a bottle last? (Yeah, I know it depends on how much you use it, but) how many "blasts" can you get before you run out?

Varies depending on jet size - running a 50 shot jet (50HP) on a 10lb bottle usually lasts me about 15-20 good 5 second blasts. Running more than 10 seconds of nitrous straight is usually a bad thing (holed piston, burned valves, etc.) You can setup the systems to be more of less automatic - some run little RPM pills with a TPS switch - to only come on during WOT (wide open throttle) and after a certain RPM point - just arm it, purging is optional, and stomp the gas. I know a couple of guys, in the NoVA area and Great Lakes area, with more of less stock Corollas (7th, 8th, and 9th gen) are running 25-50 shots with no modifications, no issues as of yet. Couple have even tickled a 75 shot and havn't seen any major problems.

Both hands on the steering wheel? I haven't heard that since driver's ed. You would probably have a heart attack if you saw the way I sit and have my hands (or rather, hand) on the wheel when I drive.

Anyways, why not just leave the overdrive on all the time? Unless you're towing a boat, 4 speeds is always better than 3, in regards to fuel efficiency and maintaining engine life, since you're running at lower rpms. Also, just because everyone else is driving at 80, doesn't mean you have to. In the few rare occasions I drive on the highway, I usually just set the cruise control at 60-65 and relax in the right lane. Going 15 mph faster isn't going to get you to your destination much quicker. EPA tests have shown on an average 20 mile commute, the difference in travel time comes down to a matter minutes. At the same time, fuel efficiency dropped by about 20% compared to 65 MPH and over 25% compared to 60 MPH. If your Corolla peaks at 39 MPG at 60 mph, then that means going 80 will dip you to 29.25 MPG.

Both hands on the steering wheel? I haven't heard that since driver's ed. You would probably have a heart attack if you saw the way I sit and have my hands (or rather, hand) on the wheel when I drive.

Anyways, why not just leave the overdrive on all the time? Unless you're towing a boat, 4 speeds is always better than 3, in regards to fuel efficiency and maintaining engine life, since you're running at lower rpms. Also, just because everyone else is driving at 80, doesn't mean you have to. In the few rare occasions I drive on the highway, I usually just set the cruise control at 60-65 and relax in the right lane. Going 15 mph faster isn't going to get you to your destination much quicker. EPA tests have shown on an average 20 mile commute, the difference in travel time comes down to a matter minutes. At the same time, fuel efficiency dropped by about 20% compared to 65 MPH and over 25% compared to 60 MPH. If your Corolla peaks at 39 MPG at 60 mph, then that means going 80 will dip you to 29.25 MPG.

Cruising down an uncrowded Interstate driving with one hand is one thing. Driving bumper-to-bumper at 80 mph is something different. I do that every day on my way to work.

As far as Just Because Everyone Else Is Doing It is concerned, around here you create a hazard if you don't keep up. (Ask Fish)

Bikeman982

I know exactly what you mean. Not staying with the flow of traffic creates a traffic hazard.

Cruising down an uncrowded Interstate driving with one hand is one thing. Driving bumper-to-bumper at 80 mph is something different. I do that every day on my way to work.

As far as Just Because Everyone Else Is Doing It is concerned, around here you create a hazard if you don't keep up. (Ask Fish)

People where you live travel bumper to bumper at 80 mph!? Now I'm not a fan of cops ticketing people over for speeding, but it sounds like your state really needs to call in the troopers on that. If someone was on my bumper going 80 mph, I would probably start tossing pennies and rocks out the window. I HATE tailgaters.

People where you live travel bumper to bumper at 80 mph!? Now I'm not a fan of cops ticketing people over for speeding, but it sounds like your state really needs to call in the troopers on that. If someone was on my bumper going 80 mph, I would probably start tossing pennies and rocks out the window. I HATE tailgaters.

Well, it's pretty much as way of life in Virginia; especially around the big cities. There are so many people doing it, that the cops just target the flagrant violators. People who do 90 while everyone else is doing 80, people who weave in and out, HOV violators, car with illegal equipment, etc.

Bikeman982

Well, it's pretty much as way of life in Virginia; especially around the big cities. There are so many people doing it, that the cops just target the flagrant violators. People who do 90 while everyone else is doing 80, people who weave in and out, HOV violators, car with illegal equipment, etc.

Easy job for the cops, if they can stop anyone they want, since everyone is speeding.

Most people drive at least 80 in traffic on Michigan highways too.

Brendon,

I guess VA & MI are 2 places you need to avoid.

tdk

Bikeman982

Most people drive at least 80 in traffic on Michigan highways too.

Brendon,

I guess VA & MI are 2 places you need to avoid.

tdk

And we wonder why new drivers get intimidated when they first have to get on a highway!

The nice thing about New England highways is that, for the most part, you can choose a lane you like depending on how fast you want to go. If you want to drive 60-65 mph, then go all the way to the right lane. If you want to go 65-75, then the middle lanes, and if you want to go 75-80, then choose the far left lane. And of course, there's always the occasional idiots who go 80+ and weave from one lane to the other. The problem for speeders here in MA is that the state troopers are ruthless. The main highway which splits the state in half, I90, is the most used by commuters and thus is the most patrolled by the police. Generally going 80+ mph puts you at high risk of being pulled over.

Driving on the highways is probably the easiest, most enjoyable, and unrisky driving for me. All I got to do is stay in the right lane and set my cruise control to about 62-63 mph. I relax, usually with one hand resting on my knees holding the bottom of the steering wheel and the music playing. I'll never have to worry about being pulled over by a cop and I'm usually getting incredible fuel efficiency (36+ MPG). I also never have to worry about car accidents since most accidents occur in the left lanes where the idiots drive.

Brendon...

wow... 62-63...

yup, you would get smoked around here.

just yesterday, i was doing 85 in the center lane and got passed on both sides by several cars! its just plain dumb...

it also makes riding my bike kinda scary too. not so bad when you are riding in a group, but by yourself... too many crazy's.

i think most police around here will not stop you anything under 80. and even at 90, you can get away (although my friend got caught doing 87 the other day. we are going to court next week).

i will admit, michigan drivers are crazy. problem is, after a few years of living here, you get used to it and think its normal.

tdk

Bikeman982

The nice thing about New England highways is that, for the most part, you can choose a lane you like depending on how fast you want to go. If you want to drive 60-65 mph, then go all the way to the right lane. If you want to go 65-75, then the middle lanes, and if you want to go 75-80, then choose the far left lane. And of course, there's always the occasional idiots who go 80+ and weave from one lane to the other. The problem for speeders here in MA is that the state troopers are ruthless. The main highway which splits the state in half, I90, is the most used by commuters and thus is the most patrolled by the police. Generally going 80+ mph puts you at high risk of being pulled over.

Driving on the highways is probably the easiest, most enjoyable, and unrisky driving for me. All I got to do is stay in the right lane and set my cruise control to about 62-63 mph. I relax, usually with one hand resting on my knees holding the bottom of the steering wheel and the music playing. I'll never have to worry about being pulled over by a cop and I'm usually getting incredible fuel efficiency (36+ MPG). I also never have to worry about car accidents since most accidents occur in the left lanes where the idiots drive.

The right lane here in CA is dangerous, because that is where cars entering the freeway come from.

They do the entering, then make their way to the left lane, sometimes very quickly.

There can be a solid lane of cars in the left lane while there is hardly anyone driving in the other lanes.

I call those people "left laners" - they get into the left lane and never leave until their exit.

We also have the idiots who do the lane weaving.

Topic List