Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Master Brake Cylinder?

Guest baddrunk69

Hi all,

I have a friend that has a 97 corolla and she's having problems with the brakes. She had it checked and she told me that a mechanic quoted her $450 to fix the problem. I looked at the brakes and they look fine. We bled them last night just in case it was air but it wasn't. Could it be the master brake cylinder? The brakes have to almost touch the floor of the car to even get any kind of braking whatsoever. What else would you recommend I try? and if it is the master brake cylinder could anyone point me to a cheap place to get a replacement? Thanks.

Usually - if the brakes sink that low before there is any braking action - that points to air in the line or brake hose expansion. Try pumping the brakes - if it helps - then it is not the master cylinder. Could be the individual wheel cylinders or the calipers are to blame.

If the car has ABS - then a regular bleed wil not work - you have to disable the ABS actuator by shorting out some pins or the brakes will not bleed correctly.

If it only does it after you start moving - could be glazed pads or rotors.

If you find that it is the master cylinder - try searching some online parts dealers. Still - as an import and relatively new car - it is going to be expensive.

Becareful - if the pedal sinks to the floor like that and you have decreased braking performance - the car should not be driven or fixed ASAP. Corollas don't have the best brakes out there, and if they are acting funny - then it is that much worse.

Good Luck.

Topic List