Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Replace The Air Filter In 2000 Corolla Ce

by mnsweeps, September 9, 2007

I havent changed air filter in over 2 yrs or so. Its a 2000 Corolla with 82k miles. Toyota of North Hollywood CA has the air filter on sale from $14.49. I havent changed air filter ever..how easy it is? and is this the right one ( EFI ) for my car ? http://www.toyotanh.com/partscoupons.aspx

Bikeman982

I havent changed air filter in over 2 yrs or so. Its a 2000 Corolla with 82k miles. Toyota of North Hollywood CA has the air filter on sale from $14.49. I havent changed air filter ever..how easy it is? and is this the right one ( EFI ) for my car ? http://www.toyotanh.com/partscoupons.aspx
Looks like (from the ad) that they are selling various air filters for that price and you would have to tell them what make/model/year car you have.

I am sure they have one for you.

Changing an air filter is not complicated, check your owner's manual, or get a repair manual for your car.

Basically you unsnap the air box cover and pull it up to get the old air filter out, then push the new air filter in and snap the cover back on.

Should be able to go to any car parts store (pepboys, autozone, murray's, etc), and pick up a replacement for $10-15.

If you ask them really nicely, and if its a slow day, they may even do it for you.

Its easier than replacing a wiperblade...

good luck

tdk.

Just as Bike said. Only a couple of quick snaps on my 01 then the cover lifts right up and the filter can then be pulled out and replaced. Wish my honda odyssey had quick snaps but it has screws instead. Welcome to the group.

Bikeman982

Walmart also has air filters fairly cheap.

Max

Their Tire "Blow Out" sale sounds like a Freudian slip...

Just compare a Fram filter with an OEM Toyota and you'll never buy the Fram.

You can get a 25% or more discount on OEM from www.1sttoyotaparts.com. You pay shipping but no tax unless you live in WA.

Just ordered some for my 2003 yesterday for $10.80 each. Dealer wants $14.75 + tax on sale.

Very courteous service. Used them a few times.

Bikeman982

You can get a 25% or more discount on OEM from www.1sttoyotaparts.com. You pay shipping but no tax unless you live in WA.

Just ordered some for my 2003 yesterday for $10.80 each. Dealer wants $14.75 + tax on sale.

I am looking for a transmission and checked out www.1stoyotaparts.com.

They wanted close to $3000.00 for one. That is more than I could possibly sell the car for.

Probably cheaper than a dealer, though.

Pepboys has $5 off Purolator filters if you buy 2 in SO CA...I might change the one on my camry too. The corolla filter rang up $14.99...i am thinking of buying 2 ( one for camry ) today.

Hi,

Not sure if you have already changed the air filter, if not make sure when you open the air filter case you do it carefully as there are some hoses attached. You do not have to remove all the hoses as mentioned but just be careful not to break or cut anything when opening the top cover to replace the filter. See the links given below for the DIY guide.

DIY Guide for Air filter:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pub-shar...oBroch(New).pdf

DIY Guide site:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/parts-service/diy.html

Bikeman982

I am looking for a transmission and checked out www.1stoyotaparts.com.

They wanted close to $3000.00 for one. That is more than I could possibly sell the car for.

Probably cheaper than a dealer, though.

I ended up ordering a transmission from www.cherry-auto.com. It was $774 (free shipping and handling)

Who knew that A131L transmissions would be hard to get and expensive??

Too bad there is not a DIY guide (maybe a video) for a transmission change.

Is it used, a rebuilt, or new? How long is the warranty, 1yr?

Bikeman982

Is it used, a rebuilt, or new? How long is the warranty, 1yr?
It us used, supposedly with low mileage. The warranty is for 6 months.

How many miles on your bad tranny? Any idea what went wrong?

I know youre probably going to take the pan off the replacement and clean it if you havent already. How does it look inside do you know yet?

Bikeman982

How many miles on your bad tranny? Any idea what went wrong?

I know youre probably going to take the pan off the replacement and clean it if you havent already. How does it look inside do you know yet?

There is 174K on the car (probably the original tranny).

Why would I take the pan off the replacement?

I have not received it yet, but I will probably just drain and fill the fluid with new ATF.

That would be after I get it installed. It is supposed to be from a running car and in good condition.

I only care that it works and will get many more miles for the next owner of the car.

Do you know what went wrong with the original tranny? Not too often to hear of a corolla with a tranny problem.

Bikeman982

Do you know what went wrong with the original tranny? Not too often to hear of a corolla with a tranny problem.
I thought it unusual for a Corolla, too.

The symptoms were that the car would not move when placed in "Drive" or "Reverse" or any gear.

I took out the drive shafts and the CV joints were bad, but I have remanufactured ones to replace them.

The transmission would just make a "clicking" noise.

I took out the drive shafts, put it in gear and held the tranny as it rotated and it stopped.

That was my indication that the transmission itself was bad.

I have started to take the transmission apart (because I have never done it) to see if I notice anything bad inside it.

Has anyone ever overhauled a transmission?

So far the differentila seems fine.

Wow, well post what you found after you inspect it. Ive never taken one apart.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)