Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Can I Obtain Scancode Without Reader On 2001 Corolla?

by Kasper, September 2, 2007

Hi.

my wifes car, a 2001 Corolla, had the Service Engine Soon light go on the other week. The car seems to run OK, but I would still like it fixed. Is there a way to obtain the scan code from said car, without shelling out $400 for a code reader?.. any way of doing it with the ignition switch, like I remember you were able to in older cars?

I am just north of Toronto, do you guys know any chains which will lend me a code reader to check for free?... e.g. canadian tire or similar?

thanks in advance default_smile

Kasper

Here in the US places like Autozone can do it for free - I don't know if you have any like that in Canada, but I would imagine there would be at least one chain. Or you can buy a code reader for much less than $400 - you can get an Actron CP9125 from Amazon for $50 before shipping.

Check that the gas cap is tightened all the way until it clicks several times because a lot of people get error codes with their 01's by not doing closing the cap all the way believing it is closed tight when its not. I wouldnt be surprised if its the too lean code from a dirty maf since many 01's have that also. Post the codes here when you find a place to scan it and people here will be able to help you.

Bikeman982

You need an OBDII (or is it OBD2?) scanner. Some autoparts will do it for free.

You can buy different types of scanners, some cheaper than others.

well the only OBD2 reader the local Canadian Tire has was $399.99 .. I then just went on ebay and saw them starting at $15.. I went with a $32 model, hoping it will get the job done.

Thanks .. now when I get the code reader and find out what its problem is, I will surely be back here to find out what I should do about it default_smile

Kasper

probably going to be evap or P0420.

Bikeman982

Usually an emission code, or something related to O2 sensor or catalytic converter.

There seems to be an abundance of CEL with that kind of problem.

well the only OBD2 reader the local Canadian Tire has was $399.99 .. I then just went on ebay and saw them starting at $15.. I went with a $32 model, hoping it will get the job done. Thanks .. now when I get the code reader and find out what its problem is, I will surely be back here to find out what I should do about it default_smile

Kasper

Maybe they're just out of stock. Canadian Tire offers several OBD2 reader models. The one you saw is the top model supporting CAN, which is only needed if you have a 05+. So you don't need it.

I have been holding off on getting my own in anticipation of installing a PC in my car, then buying a OBD2-PC interface...

Not sure about Toyota, but on Honda there is a service connector that you can put a wire/paper clip to short it, then when you put the key in and turn to on, it will blink the 2 digit factory code (not OBD code, but more detailed) in the check engine light. Then you can look at the code's definition in the factory manual.

Yup - Toyota has that, but only on Pre-OBDII vehicles - shorting TE1 and E1 connectors in the diagnostic breakout. Some manufactuers do put in rudimentary onboard testing and code retrieval - but unfortunantely not with newer Toyotas.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)