Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest Phuncz

Hello, I'm from Belgium and I ordered my new Corolla 2007/2008 model a month ago. Now that I'm reading a lot about it online, I discovered that the Japanese version has a lot more nifty gadgets than the European one. For instance, in Japan the navigation unit has a 30GB HDD drive for MP3's. Also, they are fitted with a rear-view camera as standard ! They also have the option to start the car remotely !! These things, which I really would like to have, don't come as an option here in Europe. So what I need to figure out is if it is possible for instance to add a 30GB (or larger) drive to the Sat Nav, what other parts might be needed and if the software will go with it. The rear-view camera shouldn't be a problem, but then again the question arises: does the Sat Nav have the nescessary connection for it ? Here in Europe, the Sat Nav unit is called the TNS700. It's a touchscreen Full Map Europe Navigation Unit, that can play MP3 CD's, has Bluetooth and can be hooked up with an optional iPod adapter that I have yet to see work correctly on the Sat Nav.

Does anyone know more about this or a place that I might look for this information ? Thanks in advance !!

Probably the easiest way to get it is buy one off of eBay or similar from a JDM Corolla. I'm not sure how the availability of components for a newer Corolla are overseas, but if they are anything like it is in the US, be really tough to be able to coax one off a dealer. They would basically have to pull it off another unit in order to get it to you. Be much easier to add an aftermarket harddrive enabled unit for a Navi system - like something from Kenwood or Alpine, in order to save soem MP3s locally in the car.

As for other features - the remote start could be something you can enable in the keyless entry/alarm system in your current vehicle. Just need the appropriate transmitter and some way to access the brain on the car (usually through a series of key cycling and door opening/closings or through a diagnostic port on the car). Same with the Navi screen to backup camera - wiring may be present, but then again it may not. Generally these are laid in during manufacturing instead of being installed port side - in that case, you will have to do some wiring to get it even remotely close to working.

It is possible that if you got the technology package - it will make wiring much easier or even unnecessary - at least from what I've glean from other forums.

Toyota Owner's Cluc - UK might be able to get you a better answer. http://toyotaownersclub.com - as the features you are inquiring do not even exist as options on North American bound Corollas. We have to jump to a Prius hybrid or Camry to get Navi capabilities.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)