Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By KabawL, October 8, 2004

Okay, I have a Toyota Corolla 2004. I just put 20,000 miles on it. Its time for a service at the Toyota Service Center.

I drive 15 miles to work.. 15 back which equals 30 miles a day not counting stops here and there before and after work. Lets just say about 40 miles a day.

Gas is getting more expensive day by day and its draining the loot out of my pocket! I seen this product on tv called Tornado, heres a link...

*Tornado link*

I also heard getting a cold air intake system helps with gas, and also gives the car a boost. Is this also a gas saver?

What are some other alternatives to save gas?

I know I need to take out unneccessary stuff out of my trunk.

Dont use the air conditioning if I dont really need to.

What else?

Aftermarket gimmicks are pretty much not worth it.

Keep your tires inflated, some recommend over the lable on your door.

Keep your windows up.

Disable your daytime running lights / don't use anything that requires electricity uncessarily.

Intakes, its up in the air. For the expense, you'll never make the savings back in all likely hood.

Now, finally, the biggest tip :

Change the way you drive.

Shift at or before 3000 rpm. Get up to speed promptly but you should never use more than 1/4 throttle (nor need to except for emergency maneuvers). On the highway, plan your speed by watching cars ahead. Take your foot off the gas early so you don't need to accelerate harder in the future, etc etc. Try to keep the cars RPMs between 1500-2000 rpm at all times. Stay under 60 on the highway (55 is pretty close to ideal): the increased speed is much less efficient when it comes to MPG. Don't tailgate and break hard at the last second: every time you slow down, you just have to speed up again...

That isn't comprehensive, but its a start. The biggest impact on your MPG is your right foot.

Disable your daytime running lights / don't use anything that requires electricity uncessarily.

Shift at or before 3000 rpm. Get up to speed promptly but you should never use more than 1/4 throttle (nor need to except for emergency maneuvers). On the highway, plan your speed by watching cars ahead. Take your foot off the gas early so you don't need to accelerate harder in the future, etc etc. Try to keep the cars RPMs between 1500-2000 rpm at all times. Stay under 60 on the highway (55 is pretty close to ideal): the increased speed is much less efficient when it comes to MPG. Don't tailgate and break hard at the last second: every time you slow down, you just have to speed up again...

Im going to read up on the disabling daytime running lights. I didnt know that would help with the gas.

I agree in changing the way I drive. I do tend to drive fast because Im always in a hurry. Im not the kind of person that drives fast because Im trying to get to my destination fast, or like to weave in and out of traffic. Im either going to be late, or I got other things I still have to do. I usually drive somewhere in the 70's-80's.

If I see an opening in the road up ahead, I'll turn overdrive off which wastes alot of gas to pass up a few cars to get through the traffic on these California freeways.

By the way, thanks for the info. Anyone else? Disagree? Agree? ADD-ON...

By the way, I have an automatic.

Every item that uses electricity is run by your alternator. Your alterator is powered by your engine. So the more watts you are drawing, the more resistance your alternator is putting up. DRL draw a a pretty decent amount of electricty and they are on ALL the time...so they are a slow and steady drain on your MPG. Not much, but a lot of small changes make a big change.

Increased speed increases wind resistance, and lowers fuel economy. Even a slim Corolla goes from being a slick dart to a big fat brick once you start going fast enough.

I found this graph showing how increase speed has a lot of effects on MPG. I admit, I drive fast on wide open highways when I can, but I try to keep it below 70, and around 60 under ideal conditions.

http://www.trucktires.com/us_eng/library/p.../fuelecon/2.asp

Not hard and fast but it gives an idea.

But, I think that driving habits are the biggest factor. I could be wrong but it is what seems to distinguish those who get 40+ mpg and those who get 30+ mpg. Next time you get an itchy foot and want to pass those two or three cars, make a mental note of them and then pass them. Probably, you'll see one or two behind you at the next stop sign, traffic light or toll booth. But, they won't have spent that extra gas. I noticed this when driving on 90 around Albany, some people drive crazy through traffic, but then I end up right behind them in the toll booth...what did they gain for driving like demons possesed them? About five seconds I guess default_wink

G

DRLs also happen to be one of the best and cheapest safety measures since seat belts. For everyone's sake, leave them alone! The gas you'd save is nothing next to what you can save by driving in a calmer way. If you're *that* cheap, buy a smaller car.

Oh and as a general rule... nothing aftermarket will save you gas. The more they advertise it, the less likely it is it will save gas. It'll only cost you $$$.

Shift at or before 3000 rpm.  Get up to speed promptly but you should never use more than 1/4 throttle (nor need to except for emergency maneuvers).  On the highway, plan your speed by watching cars ahead.  Take your foot off the gas early so you don't need to accelerate harder in the future, etc etc.  Try to keep the cars RPMs between 1500-2000 rpm at all times.  Stay under 60 on the highway (55 is pretty close to ideal): the increased speed is much less efficient when it comes to MPG.  Don't tailgate and break hard at the last second: every time you slow down, you just have to speed up again...

Im going to read up on the disabling daytime running lights. I didnt know that would help with the gas.

I agree in changing the way I drive. I do tend to drive fast because Im always in a hurry. Im not the kind of person that drives fast because Im trying to get to my destination fast, or like to weave in and out of traffic. Im either going to be late, or I got other things I still have to do. I usually drive somewhere in the 70's-80's.

If I see an opening in the road up ahead, I'll turn overdrive off which wastes alot of gas to pass up a few cars to get through the traffic on these California freeways.

By the way, thanks for the info. Anyone else? Disagree? Agree? ADD-ON...

By the way, I have an automatic.

i would imagine the daytime running light control module would have

to be disabled.. that may not be easy to do since it controls the entire

lighting system in most cars.

The "tornado" device is designed to perform one simple function: Make money for it's manufacturer by making fools out of gullible people who think something like that will increase their engine's performance and economy. Fughaddaboudit.

Driving 70 - 90 MPH all the time is why you're not getting maximum fuel economy. At 55 MPH, my Corolla LE automatic gets AT LEAST 44 MPG highway -- and speeding up to 65 only takes me down to 41-42. Whenever I've sustained 70+ MPG for a long enough time to make a fuel economy check, I've found my highway mileage depressed to the high 20's and low 30's. My last few highway trips have been my best ever for fuel economy, with my speed cruise-controlled at 65 MPH. I'll even slow down a few tenths of a MPH in order to maintain a safe following distance. At that speed, I never do worse than 42 MPG.

What I got out of reading this thread is pretty much drive the speed limit.

Dont add intake because it'll drain my tank. Dont buy $hit on tv. Try and measure the turning of the light so you dont have to brake just to hit the gas again.

You see, the reason why I notice how much my Corolla evaporates gas is because I just got a 2004 Honda Civic LX, and this car is GREAT ON GAS!

Guest djwolford

Unless something is wrong with your corolla it should be getting equal or better mileage than the civic.

What I got out of reading this thread is pretty much drive the speed limit.

Dont add intake because it'll drain my tank. Dont buy $hit on tv. Try and measure the turning of the light so you dont have to brake just to hit the gas again.

You see, the reason why I notice how much my Corolla evaporates gas is because I just got a 2004 Honda Civic LX, and this car is GREAT ON GAS!

Yeah, I've always had better gas mileage on a Honda than a Toyota - similar sized engines, performance, size, etc.

But I always liked the build quality of the Toyotas more than Honda - Hondas are on the cheap for materials and such.

You didn't mention what you got for MPG - if it is around 30MPG or higher - then you you can make little changes to get the mileage up. If it is in the 20s - then you may have a car related issue that should be looked into.

Topic List