Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Car History

By AlvinB, August 27, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Cyberbilly - good mix there. Nice! Opel GT - don't see too many of those around.

Bikeman982

Cyberbilly - good mix there. Nice! Opel GT - don't see too many of those around.
I once had an Opel Kadet, but not for very long.

Cool! We had one as well - not the prettiest car out there, but had an amazing amount of trunk space and a pretty spirited engine. Unfortunantely, most of the body rotted away before we got to a point to try and restore it. One of the few European cars that we had that was as trouble free as our first Toyota.

Well lets see here.....

1985-1986 77 Datsun 620 pickup (king cab 2wd)

1986-1987 86 Mazda b2000 pickup

1987-1989 87 Mazda 323 - fat tires and rims, Hella pencil beams.

1989-1991 82 Toyota Supra L model - KYB gas-adjust

1992-1993 82 Toyota Cressida

1993-1994 82 Mazda RX7 - Monza exhaust

1991-1995 85 Nissan Sentra - Weber 36/32, ultralight flywheel, shaved and ported head, glass pack exhaust

1995-1996 87 Toyota Fx16 - Swapped out the auto for a 5 speed

1996-1999 92 Nissan NX2000, ST Sways, Tokico HP's, STB, Cold air, metal masters.

1999-2002 00 Nissan Frontier Pickup (King cab, 2wd)

2002-2004 89 Chevy Beretta

2003-2006 88 Honda Accord LXI

2006 - ? 06 Toyota Corolla CE

The 323, Supra, RX7, Sentra, FX16, and NX2000 were all fun to drive. The best of them was the NX2000 which I wish I still owned.

Bikeman982

My Opel Kadet was colored like a bumblebee. It was bright yellow with black stripe.

I thought it was very unusual. I sold it and bought a Volkswagon van.

K_Watson

My first car was a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with the 3100 V6. It had been in my family for years, and I had it from January 2005 to April 2006. It had all the options a Corsica could have, it had a lot of power, and it was a blast to drive. Unfortunately, at about 133k miles, the lower intake manifold gasket started leaking and coolant contaminated the oil, which caused the engine to lockup. I did not have the money to fix it and I was forced to give it away in August. The guy who got it put a different engine in it this summer and it's back on the road.

After the Corsica died in April I drove a series of borrowed cars while I saved up for another car.

1999 Ford Taurus Wagon - Dad's

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - Grandpa's

1985 Toyota RN Pickup - Grandpa's / Uncle's

The 85 RN was a 5 speed, so I had to learn to drive a stick pretty fast. The truck had over 223k miles and it showed, but it was fun to drive.

Then in September of 2006 the clutch went out in the pickup and it had to go back to my grandfather. Luckily a few days later my grandfather found my Prizm at a car lot in Anderson Indiana.

Oh and the '85 RN is still on the road.

It was a fun car while I had it. My "baby Corvette". I put on headers, a Weber carb, Ansa exhaust, and custom paint. I was way ahead of my time. default_tongue

My dad had an Opel Kadet in the early 60's and really liked it. In 1975 he bought an Opel Sportswagon; sort of a wagon version of the venerable Opel Manta. It was one of the first imports that came stock with fuel injection. Big thing, back then.

Bikeman982

My dad had an Opel Kadet in the early 60's and really liked it. In 1975 he bought an Opel Sportswagon; sort of a wagon version of the venerable Opel Manta. It was one of the first imports that came stock with fuel injection. Big thing, back then.

Opels were very uncommon. You don't see a lot of them.

Cool! We had one as well - not the prettiest car out there, but had an amazing amount of trunk space and a pretty spirited engine. Unfortunantely, most of the body rotted away before we got to a point to try and restore it. One of the few European cars that we had that was as trouble free as our first Toyota.

Opels are still made in Germany, and they compete fairly well with BMW's and Mercedes Benz's. The now-defunct Cadillac Catera was actually made by Opel.

http://www.opel.de/index.act;jsessionid=HH...ue&referrer=

Bikeman982

Opels are still made in Germany, and they compete fairly well with BMW's and Mercedes Benz's. The now-defunct Cadillac Catera was actually made by Opel.

http://www.opel.de/index.act;jsessionid=HH...ue&referrer=

Wow - the new Opels look great. Wish they sold them here in the states.

Technically - they still are. If I remember correctly, the Saturn Astra are clones of the Opel Astra (replaces the Saturn Ion models), Saturn Sky Roadster and Pontiac Solstice are Opel GT clones, and the Saturn Vue an Opel Antara clone. Like Cyberbilly mentioned - the Cadillac Catera was actually an Opel Omega clone.

Bikeman982

Technically - they still are. If I remember correctly, the Saturn Astra are clones of the Opel Astra (replaces the Saturn Ion models), Saturn Sky Roadster and Pontiac Solstice are Opel GT clones, and the Saturn Vue an Opel Antara clone. Like Cyberbilly mentioned - the Cadillac Catera was actually an Opel Omega clone.
I would still rather have a Corolla.

Probably will keep the Corolla a bit longer as just ordered new Tokico HP's, Eibach pro-kit, and have yet to install a new TRD rear sway bar (boy those things are heavy). Not sure if I ought to install the sway bar as winter is fast approaching. Might make that an annual swap out along with the Winter tires. The trouble with some performance parts is they are great in the summer, but not so helpful in 8 inches of snow.

Probably will keep the Corolla a bit longer as just ordered new Tokico HP's, Eibach pro-kit, and have yet to install a new TRD rear sway bar (boy those things are heavy). Not sure if I ought to install the sway bar as winter is fast approaching. Might make that an annual swap out along with the Winter tires. The trouble with some performance parts is they are great in the summer, but not so helpful in 8 inches of snow.

If I have to deal with 8 inches of snow, I'll park the Corolla and drive the Tundra. default_tongue

Topic List: Go to Everything Else