Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1998 Corolla Front Airbag Sensor Location

by srush99, August 23, 2007

I just purchased a 1998 Corolla for my son which has a blinking airbag light on the dash. I've read several threads which state the problem is in the seatbelt retractor switch.

The car has had front end damage which was repaired. Looks like the fenders have been fixed and repainted and the bumper cover, hood, top section of the radiator mount(core support) radiator and evaporator replaced.

I'd like to understand where the front airbag sensor is mounted on the car just to make sure it is mounted properly and if anyone knows how I might tell if the bags have been deployed. There are no signs of any "white powder" anywhere.

By the way, great website! Thanks!

-Stuart

There are three places you have to check (two up front and one behind the dash). The front airbag sensors are very close to the fromt headlamps. You should be able to see them almost directly behind the lamp assemblies - look like little black cubes mounted on brackets. There is also a airbag sensor right behind the lower finish panel of the console. About a foot os so infront of the shift assembly.

If there was that much damage up front - there is a good chance that the airbags did deploy - but a good bodyshop can make it look like it never happened. If they did deploy - the sensors are toasted. Take a peek at the seatbelt webbing - is there a noticeable discoloration or "shiny" spot anywhere along their length? Usually when the SRS system deploys, the seatbelt pretensioners will also fire off. You can get the ECM scanned and see if there are any codes related to this - could be quite useful. Good Luck.

I think I lucked out. No shiney or discolored spots on the belts and the front sensors are intact. There doesn't look like any damage to the sheetmetal behind the headlights. I was thinking it may have dipped down and gone under the car in front of it's bumper ( my older son did that earlier this year in his '95 Corolla). Just dented the front corners of the fenders and took out the headlights, grille and crumpled the hood.

I really appreciate the information fishexpo101

-Stuart

Well, the saga continues. My son hit a light pole with the car ( don't ask how ) three weeks ago and managed to bend the frame ends where the bumper support fastens to. The airbags didn't deploy. While in the shop, I asked the shop owner to test out the airbag system. Looks like the left "SQUIB" circuit is malfunctioning based on the codes he received from his test equipment. The shop owner thought the seat needed to be replaced ( $700+) but I'm wondering if it might be the seatbelt retract sensor. I've read a couple of threads here that this year had a problem with the retract sensors / switches. I got a print out of the debug process for the airbag system so I'll have a go of it this weekend.

Looks like the left "SQUIB" circuit is malfunctioning based on the codes he received from his test equipment. The shop owner thought the seat needed to be replaced ( $700+) but I'm wondering if it might be the seatbelt retract sensor. I've read a couple of threads here that this year had a problem with the retract sensors / switches.

My retractor switch has been failing for the last two years until I totally did away with it (search for my DIY here default_biggrin) and it never gave me any airbag code. If you are one of the few lucky ones to have a Corolla with side airbag that may be what's being referred to - the squib is inside the seat. Otherwise I think it means the belt pretensioner.

Squibs are what actually get fired when SRS deploys.

Even a lowly OBD2 scan tool can get you those codes.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)