15. Nissan Xterra

16. Saturn ION

17. Chrysler PT Cruiser

18. Honda S2000

19. Toyota Scion tC

20. Mazda3

Says a lot for the Corollas and Camrys.

K_Watson

The top 11 don't surprise me, except for the Buick and the Matrix / Vibe. I expected better from those.

Bikeman982

I don't see the Prius on the list.

• 1,424 posts

The Mazda3 does get low ratings, but I have two problems with that.

One is that the car they tested lacked the side and curtain airbags that my Mazda3 is equipped with, and there are no ratings for the car with the airbags.

Without the airbags the car gets 3 stars, I bet with the airbags it would get a 5 star side rating. Putting a car on the worst 20 list simply because without side airbags (which 80% of Mazda3 have since most people who buy a Mazda3 want all the toys) it gets 3 stars is a little bit unfair.

Two is that the Mazda has more active safety features than the Corolla. Better tires and 4 wheel disc ABS allow the Mazda3 to stop from 60 mph in 116 feet, almost 20 feet less than the Corolla. Also, the Mazda has quicker steering and is capable of making lane changes without spinning out at higher speeds than the Corolla, thus improving your chance of correctly and safely completing an emergency maneuver on the highway.

Bikeman982

One is that the car they tested lacked the side and curtain airbags that my Mazda3 is equipped with, and there are no ratings for the car with the airbags.

Without the airbags the car gets 3 stars, I bet with the airbags it would get a 5 star side rating. Putting a car on the worst 20 list simply because without side airbags (which 80% of Mazda3 have since most people who buy a Mazda3 want all the toys) it gets 3 stars is a little bit unfair.

Two is that the Mazda has more active safety features than the Corolla. Better tires and 4 wheel disc ABS allow the Mazda3 to stop from 60 mph in 116 feet, almost 20 feet less than the Corolla. Also, the Mazda has quicker steering and is capable of making lane changes without spinning out at higher speeds than the Corolla, thus improving your chance of correctly and safely completing an emergency maneuver on the highway.

You can be the spokesman for Mazdas. You have a good agument for them being on the list.

Seems like there's a lot of SUVs/trucks on the list, with the top 4 most unsafe being 2 SUVs and 2 trucks. The Mazda MX-5 didn't even make the list. It goes to show has misconcieving it is to think that the bigger the car, the safer it is.

That is unless you get hit by the bigger vehicle - can't argue basic physics - a larger, heavier vehicle will put a world of hurt on a smaller one. And with any test results like these - have to remember that these are controlled tests into stationary barriers and specific side impact procedures. Don't take everything to exactly duplicated in real world events.

That said - some of the cars/trucks on that list are no brainers - didn't the Matrix/Vibe CUVs would be that far up the list - but like the99contour pointed out - equipment loadout, like tracton control, ABS, side and curtain airbags, etc. - can greatly influence the results of the test.

If you check the site out further....you will notice that on the "most reliable" list is that Toyota takes 7/9 on the list...the first two going to Honda. The Corolla is on there, but it's not an '06 as it's the colour I have and was only available in 04/05.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2006/04/20/...l_0424feat.html

Bikeman982

You can be the spokesman for Mazdas. You have a good agument for them being on the list.

My wife wants to upgrade her car and is looking at the Mazda3 Hatchback.

I don't see the hatchback on the list.

• 1,424 posts
My wife wants to upgrade her car and is looking at the Mazda3 Hatchback.I don't see the hatchback on the list.

That's because it hasn't been tested yet. They have only tested the 2.0L sedan without side airbags.

All Mazda3 hatchbacks are 2.3L engines and all Mazda3 hatchbacks come standard with not only side airbags, but side impact curtain airbags. They are optional on the Sedan. My Mazda3 sedan is decked out with every option but leather and Xenon headlamps. I have a 2.3L engine and side airbags as well as ABS with EBFD. There is no way that my Mazda3 is less safe in a side impact than a Corolla without side airbags (which is 90%+ of them).

Bikeman982

My wife wants to upgrade her car and is looking at the Mazda3 Hatchback.I don't see the hatchback on the list.

That's because it hasn't been tested yet. They have only tested the 2.0L sedan without side airbags.

All Mazda3 hatchbacks are 2.3L engines and all Mazda3 hatchbacks come standard with not only side airbags, but side impact curtain airbags. They are optional on the Sedan. My Mazda3 sedan is decked out with every option but leather and Xenon headlamps. I have a 2.3L engine and side airbags as well as ABS with EBFD. There is no way that my Mazda3 is less safe in a side impact than a Corolla without side airbags (which is 90%+ of them).

I would think that any car that has side airbags would be much safer than any car that didn't have them.

I wonder if they are comparing apples to oranges on some of the models, since they differ so much.

With all that said,

USA Today (I think...) recently had an article which said that in a 2 car collision, smaller cars resulted in more fatalities.

Sorry, dont rem the details...

tdk.

(and that's why i drive a suv!... well my wife does mostly now... with the baby...)

• 1,424 posts
With all that said, USA Today (I think...) recently had an article which said that in a 2 car collision, smaller cars resulted in more fatalities.

Sorry, dont rem the details...

tdk.

(and that's why i drive a suv!... well my wife does mostly now... with the baby...)

Wow, you mean to tell me that if two vehicles are traveling at the same speed, one weighing 2500 lbs and the other weighing 5000 lbs and they hit each other that the 2500 lb vehicle is going to suffer more damage and that its occupants are more likely to be injured or killed?

It doesn't take much study to figure that one out and it certainly doesn't need to be the focus in a newspaper article. Seriously, anyone who looks at a Corolla and then at a 4-Runner should be able to tell you that if the two hit each other that the 4-Runner is going to fare better.

The laws of Physics are pretty simple and the equations they give us are pretty elegant. Since for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction, in an inelastic collision (where two cars hit each other and stick together) the lighter weight car is going to experience more acceleration from the accident and therefore more force. Even if the cars bounce off one another, the smaller car is still going to experience more acceleration and therefore more force.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)