Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla S

by dlittle, August 1, 2007

I just bought a 2003 Corolla S. The only problem with it was it was in a hail storm and has tiny dents on the hood, and roof. Does anyone know if these can be easily popped out. The dent king doesn't work cause the dents are too small. just wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with this before.

If the dents were pretty recent - you can pop them out by getting some dry ice (look in the phonebook for suppliers in your area) and hot sunny day. Set the car out in the full sun for a couple of hours - get some heavily insulated gloves and rub chunks of dry ice on the dent. About 90% of the time, the dent will pop right back out. The dry ice trick actually works better for smaller dents than bigger ones.

Example video to illustrate the dry ice trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXp0Edp6AhI

Thanks a ton for the suggestion i have never heard of that before, but it is definatley something i am going to try. The only problem is the original owner bought it from the dealership with the dents on it (took the price down a ton- and they aren't all that bad at all). so it has been a while since the hail storm... 4-5 years.

It might still work - especially if the dents are only slight and pretty small. Dry ice is also pretty cheap - can't hurt to give it a go - a lot cheaper than getting some bodywork done at a shop. As far as I know, also relatively safe for the paint - dry ice runs around ~ -110F - cold, but not too cold for modern automotive paint that has been fully cured. If in doubt, try it on a test spot and see if the paint cracks on you. I doubt it would - as I've played with liquid nitrogen before just fine - never had anything crack with the stuff (automotive, aerospace, electronics, etc.) - and that runs at ~ -320F.

That's a great idea Fish...never heard of it before.

Jay in MA

If the dents were pretty recent - you can pop them out by getting some dry ice (look in the phonebook for suppliers in your area) and hot sunny day. Set the car out in the full sun for a couple of hours - get some heavily insulated gloves and rub chunks of dry ice on the dent. About 90% of the time, the dent will pop right back out. The dry ice trick actually works better for smaller dents than bigger ones.

Example video to illustrate the dry ice trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXp0Edp6AhI

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)