Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Le, Auto Transmission Drain And Fill

by Sean, July 3, 2007

I'm thinking about doing a transmission drain and fill on our 2006 LE. It has about 15,500 miles. It sounds like a fairly cheap and easy way to keep the thing running a long time.

In the repair manual I have it says to replace the gasket on the drain bolt after draining the ATF. Does anybody actually do this? I would hate to have to go to the dealer just to find a little gasket.

I just noticed Autozone has a Castrol Import Multivehicle ATF that says it is recommended for Toyota T-IV and JWS3309 applications. This must be fairly new. I'm thinking of using it since it is cheaper and more conveniently available than the OEM fluid. Would this worry anybody?

Yes.

Don't put your warranty in jeopardy for a few bucks. Get the ATF and gasket at dealer.

You really don't need to change at your mileage unless you do some severe things like towing. Every 2 years/30K miles is more than Toyota recommends.

Some cars can be really screwed up with the wrong ATF. Chrysler trannies slip and destruct if you use aftermarket even though it's advertised as acceptable.

Play it safe for the few bucks in question.

So, for a simple pan drain, how much fluid should you have on hand?

So, for a simple pan drain, how much fluid should you have on hand?

If I remember right its 3.2 quarts for a drain and fill.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)