Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Cold Air Intake For 2006 Corolla S

by mindlube, May 30, 2007

I have been unable to find a cold air intake system for my 2006 Corolla S after searching several vendor sites. any recommendations for vendors, and can the 2003 intakes be compatible? Injen.com lists this part, but vendors don't seem to have it:

SP2077P / X-1013-BR / 2005, 2006 Corolla S L4 1.8L Cold Air Intake w/ MR Technology

Not sure what the L4 designation is for the engine type? that's new on me!

i want to get a cold air intake system for better mileage and also i have noticed a power drain when driving in hot weather ( i live in the desert)

thanks

replying to self: i emailed injen and they replied to my inquiring very quickly:

It hasn't shipped yet. Give it a week and a half.

which makes sense!

Don't get a CAI or any aftermarket system for better fuel economy - as they really don't help it at all, some cases will actually hurt overall fuel economy. Think about how they work - they supposed to pull in denser, cooler air. The MAF sensor and IAT will see that there is more "air" and respond by adjusting the fuel to match. More air + more gas - since you are adding more air, you will not see fuel savings. Also, temperature difference at speed between ambient air temps and underhood temps is not that much different.

Doesn't mean they are poorly designed, just make sure you get them for the right reason > better breathing and more power at higher RPMs. For fuel economy, very tough to beat the OEM airbox and drop in paper filter, remember, the car was always designed with economy in mind. Good luck and let us know how the new intake fits the DBW equipped Corollas.

Thanks, good points. i will have to mull it over because i also want some more pep.

CAI and SRAI systems are pretty much useless on a 4 cyl engine that doesn't utilize valve lift technology or forced induction. I've seen dyno charts of Corollas and Celica GT's and the gains are sometimes as little as just 1 HP at the wheels, even when combined with aftermarket exhaust systems. On the other hand, some dyno charts of Celica GT-S's can achieve gains of almost 20 HP once the valve is lifted.

Celica GT

http://www.newcelica.org/other/dyno/byebyebaby/dyno2.jpg

Celica GT-S

http://www.newcelica.org/other/dyno/jesse%20il/dyno2.jpg

One thing that should be noted is the loss of low end power, which means the engine will need to be revved much more often in order to achieve the same lower end power around town. As a result most of your fuel economy gains will be lost in daily driving, and as fishexpo said you can actually end up losing fuel efficiency.

I've seen several friends with 1ZZs take the intake back off and sell it because of low end lag.

L4 = in-Line 4 = straight 4 = 4banger.

vs V4 (Honda has a v4 motorcycle engine), L6 (straight 6), V6, V8, V10...

tdk

CAI and SRAI systems are pretty much useless on a 4 cyl engine that doesn't utilize valve lift technology or forced induction. I've seen dyno charts of Corollas and Celica GT's and the gains are sometimes as little as just 1 HP at the wheels, even when combined with aftermarket exhaust systems. On the other hand, some dyno charts of Celica GT-S's can achieve gains of almost 20 HP once the valve is lifted.

Celica GT

http://www.newcelica.org/other/dyno/byebyebaby/dyno2.jpg

Celica GT-S

http://www.newcelica.org/other/dyno/jesse%20il/dyno2.jpg

One thing that should be noted is the loss of low end power, which means the engine will need to be revved much more often in order to achieve the same lower end power around town. As a result most of your fuel economy gains will be lost in daily driving, and as fishexpo said you can actually end up losing fuel efficiency.

Good data. I wouldn't be too worried about low RPM loss tho. A dyno is usually tested in 4th gear, or the closest thing to 1:1 output. Not sure why the dyno starts at 2500 RPMs. That would be a tad low for 4th gear. Either way, it only takes till about 3200 RPMs to see a gain. I wouldn't say that it needs to be revved out.

Not huges gains, but it seems to have way more gain than loss. Do you know if the TRD exhaust was a full cat back exhaust or a bolt of muffler?

It's just a general site for Celica drivers to show off their dyno results. I don't know if it's just TRD mufflers, or the full cat-back. My guess would be for the Celica GT, it was just the muffler since their doesn't seem to be a huge loss of low end power. For the GT-S, he probably went for the full cat-back since at rpms under 4000, he lost as much as 10 hp at the wheels. Like you said, its up to you whether you could deal with that loss of low end power. For me driving around normally, I rarely go above 2800 rpms, even under hard acceleration. To hit 3000+ means you got to push the pedal all the way and hit wide open throttle. Usually rpms of 2200-2800 produce more than enough power for me to pull along quickly around town without making my engine rev out and start getting loud. I probably couldn't deal with a loss of power at the range.

The basic point I was trying to show is that people throw away hundreds of dollars on these stupid aftermarket systems like TRD exhaust, headers, or CAI setups which brag to you that you'll see gains of 10, 15, or even 20 hp. In the end, even with all those things combined that Celica GT saw a general gain of only 1 hp! Personally, I would just save up the money from these ricer products for something that returns much more visible gains like a turbo kit or supercharger.

It's just a general site for Celica drivers to show off their dyno results. I don't know if it's just TRD mufflers, or the full cat-back. My guess would be for the Celica GT, it was just the muffler since their doesn't seem to be a huge loss of low end power. For the GT-S, he probably went for the full cat-back since at rpms under 4000, he lost as much as 10 hp at the wheels. Like you said, its up to you whether you could deal with that loss of low end power. For me driving around normally, I rarely go above 2800 rpms, even under hard acceleration. To hit 3000+ means you got to push the pedal all the way and hit wide open throttle. Usually rpms of 2200-2800 produce more than enough power for me to pull along quickly around town without making my engine rev out and start getting loud. I probably couldn't deal with a loss of power at the range.

The basic point I was trying to show is that people throw away hundreds of dollars on these stupid aftermarket systems like TRD exhaust, headers, or CAI setups which brag to you that you'll see gains of 10, 15, or even 20 hp. In the end, even with all those things combined that Celica GT saw a general gain of only 1 hp! Personally, I would just save up the money from these ricer products for something that returns much more visible gains like a turbo kit or supercharger.

You must have a auto if you have trouble getting above 3K RPMs. While I personally wouldn't spend money on a CAI, for some people, it's all they can afford to do. Also, they did get more torque gains then HP gains. A turbo or SCer might give more, but that cost thousands. Might as well just upgrade to a better car for that.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)