Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Air Filters

by loverguy1, May 18, 2007

What is the function of engine's Air Filters? Does it require maintenenace? When do it requires a change? Is replacing a complicated job? do different cars have different types of air filters i mean like brand or make? Please provide me some info

The engine's air filter keeps things like dirt and debris from getting into the internal workings of the engine where they could cause serious harm. You engine needs a flow of clean air for good combustion to occur. If your filter is all dirty and nasty, it's not getting the proper amount of air and you may notice less performance or bad gas mileage.

Yes, it does require maintenance/replacing once in a while. Every once in a while (I forget what the “official” interval is), I open the filter box and look at the air filter. If it appears excessively dirty, I go to my favorite car parts place, look up the type of filter it takes and for $15 or less put a new one in. I usually check it every 6 months.

On my Corolla, there is an air hose leading from the engine to a "box" with 2 clips on it. If you release the clips, the top of the box opens and exposes the air filter. Just get your fingers in there and slide the old one out. Make sure the car's off... Put the new one in, attach the air box top and replace the clips. It takes two minutes if you are comfortable doing it.

Who makes filters? K&N, Bosch, Fram, Toyota, etc... There are tons of companies out there who make them. I go to Walmart and they sell Fram, so that's what I use. If you go to AutoZone or someplace with a service counter, they can help you find the right one if you don’t want to look it up in the cross reference books (usually kept in the isle where the air filters are located in the store). Heck, if you’re nice to the people at AutoZone, they’ll probably help you replace it.

Yes, different cars take different filters. The filter that goes in a Ford Explorer is a different size and shape than the one in a Toyota Corolla.

Hope that helps you out!

Access-Denied (+1)

The engine's air filter keeps things like dirt and debris from getting into the internal workings of the engine where they could cause serious harm. You engine needs a flow of clean air for good combustion to occur. If your filter is all dirty and nasty, it's not getting the proper amount of air and you may notice less performance or bad gas mileage.

Yes, it does require maintenance/replacing once in a while. Every once in a while (I forget what the “official” interval is), I open the filter box and look at the air filter. If it appears excessively dirty, I go to my favorite car parts place, look up the type of filter it takes and for $15 or less put a new one in. I usually check it every 6 months.

On my Corolla, there is an air hose leading from the engine to a "box" with 2 clips on it. If you release the clips, the top of the box opens and exposes the air filter. Just get your fingers in there and slide the old one out. Make sure the car's off... Put the new one in, attach the air box top and replace the clips. It takes two minutes if you are comfortable doing it.

Who makes filters? K&N, Bosch, Fram, Toyota, etc... There are tons of companies out there who make them. I go to Walmart and they sell Fram, so that's what I use. If you go to AutoZone or someplace with a service counter, they can help you find the right one if you don’t want to look it up in the cross reference books (usually kept in the isle where the air filters are located in the store). Heck, if you’re nice to the people at AutoZone, they’ll probably help you replace it.

Yes, different cars take different filters. The filter that goes in a Ford Explorer is a different size and shape than the one in a Toyota Corolla.

Hope that helps you out!

Usually every 30k miles. I've got a K&N air filter, and i'm happy with it. Reuseable. About every 40-60k miles, clean it, and throw it back in.

thnxs dudes

Topic List