Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Timing Belt Job Help

Guest beasty

I need to change some belts on my '98 corrola, but the chilton's guide for '88-'97 is all I have available. They also list all engine codes for those years as DOHC engines, yet explain timing belt job for SOHC engine... Did the engine change for the '98 model? How can I find the engine code in the VIN? default_unsure any tips on doing this job?

The big change was the introduction of the 1ZZ-FE motor in the Corolla. As susch - there is no timing belt to change - replaced it with a timing chain, which has no regular scheduled maintenance.

For the accessory belt (serpentine belt) - pull back tensioner, clip off belt, noting direction around pulleys - slip on new belt, release tensioner.

Guest beasty

Thanks, That is the motor I have (1ZZFE.) I will be doing the serpentine belt this weekend. Glad to know that's all.

Guest 98corollagirl

hey,

I have a 98 corolla and my timing belt is shot and I am getting a new one put in tomorrow, so I dont think they have changed, but i could very well be wrong

If it is a 1ZZ-FE engine coded Corolla - then you don't have a timing belt. If you have a European spec'd Corolla - then you might have a timing belt.

How do I find out if I have a 1ZZ-FE my engine code starts with N1ZZ-E--- ?

Can I find out from the VIN ? What if the engine is changes. The engine cover says 16valve EFI

I hope to find that out desperately as it has done 78K miles already and it is a 98 Corolla.

I would appreciate the help in identification.

Nim

Sound like you might have a 4/7AFE or 4AGE variant, but the engine code sounds like one for a 1ZZFE. The 1ZZFE have a tubular intake manifold runners - instead of the usual intake "log". Hard to tell just from the VIN - as they vary quite a bit - from USA bound Corollas to one to Europe, Asia, and Australia/New Zealand, and elsewhere.

Take a peek at this page:

http://www.samarins.com/reviews/corolla.html

If you engine looks like the top one, under the engine section (1994 Corolla example) - then you have a timing belt. Just need to change it.

If you engine looks like the bottom one, under the engine section (1998 Corolla example) - then you have a timing chain. Nothing to change under most operating conditions.

Good Luck.

Topic List