Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 2000 Control Arm

by SIRNEMO, May 7, 2007

Anybody have any idea how long and how much trouble to replace the control arm?

Planning on doing it yourself? Having access to a lift and air tools would be a definite plus. Otherwise, it is still completely doable - just more work. I believe someone here on the forums - replaced a bent one not too long ago. PM Bitter - he may have more insight on this job.

Note that the torque needed for some of those bolts are pretty decent, need a good torque wrench (for install) and good breaker bar (for disassembly). Steps-wise - not too bad of a job, just that some of the bolts will be tough to break free, initially. Basically - you take the wheel off, unbolt the lower ball joint, undo the lower suspension arm bracket, front cross member, and control arm itself.

A decent shop should have no problems with this job - definitely need an alignment after you do this, as steering geometry will be shifted slightly.

Basically I hit the curb. The strut mount is gone and so is the control arm. I replaced the strut mount but not the control arm. The control arm was bend about an inch. Still drivable but as engineer, I know it will stress the rest of the suspension system.

I bought a used part from ebay simply to save some money. The shop quote me about $100 plus tax for labor. I don't have access to a lift and air tools. But I think my friend have a electric impact wrench. I wonder if that will work. I am still undecided to keep the hundred bux or buy the shop lunch.

Also, should I replace the bushing as well since everything is apart right now.

Could hurt to replace the bushings - but to get the most from it, might was well replace the otherside as well. $100 is not too bad - an electric impact wrench should be heafty enough to bust those bolts loose - just depends on how much time you want to pump into it.

im not sure how similar the 7th and 8th gen are upfront but its not that bad of a job with impacts. i just zapped the bolts out and dropped it, installed the new ball joint, put it all back into place, zapped it all down tight again and it was good.

i too smacked a curb.

i think the hardest were the bolts that act like hinge pins since they're hard to get at, and then getting it all to realign.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)