Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By GarrettSocling, October 1, 2004

Hello.

I am getting off the Fram wagon.

So, if I don't go to Walmart, the closest place to buy oil filters only stocks Hastings oil filters.

Anyone know if they are any good? Google hardly returned anything about them, and that Frank guy who tears apart oil filters didn't have much info about it.

I do have other options, but these guys are the closest, so I figured I'd consider them first.

Thanks,

G

Baldwin/Hastings are part of the Clarcor Inc. corporation that also aquired Purolator back in 1999. From what I can tell - both are decent filters, much better than the reviews given to Fram and some others.

Check this site out for some info on the Baldwin/Hastings filters - applications for Mercruiser inboard engines - but they do provide good details and manufacturer specs.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

Good Luck.

friendly_jacek

Hello.

I am getting off the Fram wagon.

So, if I don't go to Walmart, the closest place to buy oil filters only stocks Hastings oil filters.

Anyone know if they are any good?  Google hardly returned anything about them, and that Frank guy who tears apart oil filters didn't have much info about it.

I do have other options, but these guys are the closest, so I figured I'd consider them first.

Thanks,

G

Acctually, Walmart is not only Fram. The Supertech filters are very good. They are produced by a major brand (Champion

Laboratories who also make Mobil One and Bosch filter). BTW, Supertech oil is either made by Mobil or Penzoil (depends on the region of the country).

My dad, after reading those oil filter pages, decided to switch from Fram to Supertech for his truck.

I decided on an AC Delco for my wife's 98 Stratus and a Purolator PureOne for my 05 Corolla. Both use 5W30, and I only use Mobile1...so hopefully I'll be pulling in over 300,000 miles on my Corolla. After getting two american made trucks past 150,000 with no problems, I am expecting a lot from this Corolla default_wink

I decided on the AC Delco and Purolators based on what I had read from a number of sources. I've read that the Hastings/Baldwin filters are very well constructed, but the media doesn't filter very small particles (it also is supposed to have very good flow). I decided that going with synthetic 5W30 means that flow shouldn't be an issue with a finer filtering media int he PureOne.

As far as the Stratus, I figure it's too late for it. I think the Fram screwed it over the winter...it has a tap which goes away once it heats up in the summer...but it doesn't go away in the winter...and the V6 was supposed to be better than the 4 banger...sigh...so the AC Delco seems to be an excellent value.

I leaned primarily on this site when learning about various filters : http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...udy.html#l30001

Got them both at Advance Auto Parts.

G

Topic List