Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Stéphane Dumas, October 1, 2004

OK, that's pretty sharp looking livery as it goes, I guess. However, the term "Police Package" usually implies that the automobile in question has been specifically built for the demands of patrol-type use. This would include, but certainly not be limited to, a heavier-duty suspension, tires, brakes, and everything Associated with the car's undercarriage, a heavier-duty cooling system, a heavier-duty electrical system, including a high-output alternator and high-capacity battery to drive radios, P.A. systems, lights, and sirens, an interior made out of materials that can withstand the wear Associated with police officers entering/exiting the vehicle repeatedly, etc. These are just a few of the things I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure the list can go on almost endlessly. That "security company's" Corolla CE is nothing more than a standard CE with a striping and lettering job; the automobile itself is no more capable of serious patrol duty than any other Corolla. Sure, it would be adequate for patrolling a shopping mall parking lot, but that's about all it would be good for without at least some basic performance enhancements. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about making it go faster, I'm talking about making it able to withstand being worked harder.

You want a serious police car package? You'll be much better off starting with a Crown Vic.

yes, holden is famous for its 'police pack' holden commodores - more wiring, more safety features, accurate speedo etc.

My service handbook refers to taxi and police work; hence i think that somwhere in the world the police use corollas. I think i have seen a photo of a police corolla in some asian country.

nontheless corollas are quite popular with fleets in australia; they are the most popular small car for hire car companies. University of newcastle, hunter area health service, and the NSW department of natural resources are but 3 fleet clients of toyota.

Guest dlichterman

omg it would be so sweet if I could join the police force and have a corolla lol

OK, that's pretty sharp looking livery as it goes, I guess. However, the term "Police Package" usually implies that the automobile in question has been specifically built for the demands of patrol-type use. This would include, but certainly not be limited to, a heavier-duty suspension, tires, brakes, and everything Associated with the car's undercarriage, a heavier-duty cooling system, a heavier-duty electrical system, including a high-output alternator and high-capacity battery to drive radios, P.A. systems, lights, and sirens, an interior made out of materials that can withstand the wear Associated with police officers entering/exiting the vehicle repeatedly, etc. These are just a few of the things I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure the list can go on almost endlessly. That "security company's" Corolla CE is nothing more than a standard CE with a striping and lettering job; the automobile itself is no more capable of serious patrol duty than any other Corolla. Sure, it would be adequate for patrolling a shopping mall parking lot, but that's about all it would be good for without at least some basic performance enhancements. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about making it go faster, I'm talking about making it able to withstand being worked harder.

You want a serious police car package? You'll be much better off starting with a Crown Vic.

Indeed the "Crown Vickie" is by far the most widely used vehicle by police forces in North America. Coppers love it because of its leg room. Same platform as the Lincoln but less elaborate. You've got to give Ford credit for making a very dependable large sedan. I was thinking of buying one myself. They aren't that expensive used. Only four or five thousand more than a Corolla.

Guest djwolford

Go to a police auction and get one with an interceptor package, just so you can drive it around and get behind people and scare them.

Guest NeilS

When I went to Jamaica a couple of years ago - I noticed they used Corollas for police and taxi use. Since they drive on the "wrong side of the road" there, they are all RHD. I didn't ask any cops or cabbies about their cars, but they seemed pretty "plain jane". It kinda felt wierd being in the "driver seat" with no wheel or speedometer in front of me!

A quick Google image search didn't turn up anything - I will talk with some of my friends that were on this trip. Maybe one of them has pix of the Jamaican taxis/cop cars.

If you are seriously thinking about buying an ex cop car, check out www.crownvic.net and read up. Just about any question you may have has already been answered in the 4.6 archive or forum. If you want an older box-body Vic, there's plenty there for the 5.0 as well. A friend lucked out and got an 88 Vic with the police package. Since it was used as a small town fire chief's car - it was never driven down pothole filled Crackhead Alley at 90mph in reverse, or worse! Find a chief's car, or one that wasn't used for regular patrol. (Unless you have some cash budgeted in for immediate repairs and replacements)

Topic List