Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Second Time - Effin Bug Gets In 2003 Ce Taillamp

By BobLevine, April 18, 2007

Anyone else seen this?

A few months ago, found a dead bee inside the tail/stop part of my taillamp. Luckily, sucked it out with high power vacuum at carwash.

Last week, saw a medium size dead black bug at the bottom of the lens. Vacuum no help.

Had to take lamp off car (not bad to do with nutdriver set), remove bulbs, and shake like hell to get bug into a lamp socket area for removal.

Saw some vents above bulb sockets to dissipate heat but how would the bugs get inside the trunk trim to get near the bulbs?

Just wondering if I'm the only one with this issue.

• 1,424 posts
Anyone else seen this?

A few months ago, found a dead bee inside the tail/stop part of my taillamp. Luckily, sucked it out with high power vacuum at carwash.

Last week, saw a medium size dead black bug at the bottom of the lens. Vacuum no help.

Had to take lamp off car (not bad to do with nutdriver set), remove bulbs, and shake like hell to get bug into a lamp socket area for removal.

Saw some vents above bulb sockets to dissipate heat but how would the bugs get inside the trunk trim to get near the bulbs?

Just wondering if I'm the only one with this issue.

No, and I personally think that the design has some unseen access points. I've had that happen to me twice on the Corolla and once on a 2003 Rav4.

I can't stand it.

Toyota might need to do something about that, because if bugs get in there, water can get in there.

Thanks, reassuring to know it's not just my Corolla.

No evidence of water intrusion. Perhaps, as you theorized, some kind of venting is done that allows insects behind the trunk internal trim panels.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)