Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By texasrolla, March 26, 2007

The P.O. is coming out with a "forever" stamp. This stamp is good no matter how much the P.O. increase the cost of letter mail.

How many of these "forever" stamps are you going to buy? I'm thinking of buying $1000 worth because I use atleast 5 stamps per month. That should last me for the next 40 years.

Canada came out with something like that last November. I bought 60.

They have them at Costco in rolls of 100 for whatever the current rate is right now.

I wont buy any. I never mail anything. Even my bank mails out checks for my bills and foots the tab on the stamps...

It is a nice idea though.

Now if the PO could just hire some friendly employees and not let all but one leave during the lunch rush...

• 1,424 posts
How many of these "forever" stamps are you going to buy? I'm thinking of buying $1000 worth because I use atleast 5 stamps per month. That should last me for the next 40 years.

I don't use stamps enough to justify the purchase of any.

About the only thing I use the post office for is mailing items I sell on eBay, which means I pay significantly more than $.42 or however much stamps are. About the only thing I use regular stamps for is mailing my tax returns once a year. I pay about 99.9% of my bills online using e-checks. Both my car insurance and internet are set up so they directly withdraw from my bank account each month.

Speaking of the Postal Service. I live in Canada, and being in an older neighbourhood, my mail is delivered to my door by a letter carrier. The new areas all have big mailboxes at the end of the street where you have to walk and pick up your mail. Is it like that in the States as well?

K_Watson

I mail one bill every month. I'll just continue buying them one at a time.

The new areas all have big mailboxes at the end of the street where you have to walk and pick up your mail. Is it like that in the States as well?
That depends on the quality of the neighborhood and the quantity of the people living there. I know they have those large box systems at trailer parks.

Mine is still delivered to the box in front of my yard.

• 1,424 posts
Speaking of the Postal Service. I live in Canada, and being in an older neighbourhood, my mail is delivered to my door by a letter carrier. The new areas all have big mailboxes at the end of the street where you have to walk and pick up your mail. Is it like that in the States as well?

Typically we have mailboxes at the end of our driveways or near our doors. People who have all the boxes in one place either live in Trailer Parks or High Density Condos.

There are two exceptions to this I can think of. If you live in the middle of nowhere on a rural route then the mailboxes are only on one side of the road. If you live in an area that is impassible to the mail in winter, you get the lockable boxes in one place. I lived in a impassible area once, the mail truck could pull into the subdivision entrance (where the mailboxes were) but he could not drive up the hill we all lived on. So we all drove down to get our mail when it was raining, cold or snowing. If it was warm enough and it wasn't raining we'd walk.

First, I will probably invest in a few rolls of the "forever" stamps whenever they come out. I won't buy a big supply, however, since I already have most of my banking/payment transactions automated in whatever way the company or financial institution provides. I currently only pay my mortgage, car insurance, and cable service bills by snail mail -- and I will put them on automatic payment whenever I get the opportunity to do so. Another thing I use snail mail for is my annual Christmas card mailing, which can vary year-by-year from 20 - 30 pieces of First Class mail, depending on whether or not I manage to actually scrounge up some Christmas Spirit in time to send them. Also, as an amateur radio operator, there is a regular need to mail out QSL cards -- postcard-sized reports of an on-the-air exchange between two amateur radio operators. I haven't been at all active in the past couple of years, but my interest in that hobby runs in cycles, and when I am "on-the-air," I can send out several hundred QSL cards a year. So, the "forever" stamp would potentially be a good deal for that use alone. Perhaps I'll put away a dozen rolls before the rates increase. If anything, I can always sell them for what I paid if I don't use them.

BTW -- in the U.S. a unit of First Class postage is a major bargain. Most EU countries pay about a buck a pop for the equivalent of our 39-cent 1st class postage.

The "centralized mailbox" scheme is pretty much the wave of the future, particularly in new developments. It saves the postal service a lot of time -- mail for numerous residences can be delivered in one stop of the truck. Even though I live in a fairly low-density development, we still have the central mailboxes, one per street, with around 12 homes per street. All the homes in my development are duplexes, and each "street" is really a Cul-de-Sac. Therefore, it's not a long walk to the central mailbox.

I wonder how long it will be before people who live on "traditional" residential streets, with individual mailboxes, will be able to get such door-to-door mail delivery? I would not be surprised to see such neighborhoods converted to centralized mailboxes in the near future.

I am sure the rush for the forever stamp will be on once the Postal Service announces it next postage raise. I'll be in that group. Until then, I don't mind going to the post office once (or twice) a month to stay in line and buy a stamp.

Bikeman982

I use stamps to pay the bills - about 10 a month.

I will probably buy a roll of 100 from Costco.

My mailbox is in front of the house next door - there are three boxes on a post.

First, I will probably invest in a few rolls of the "forever" stamps whenever they come out. I won't buy a big supply, however, since I already have most of my banking/payment transactions automated in whatever way the company or financial institution provides. I currently only pay my mortgage, car insurance, and cable service bills by snail mail -- and I will put them on automatic payment whenever I get the opportunity to do so. Another thing I use snail mail for is my annual Christmas card mailing, which can vary year-by-year from 20 - 30 pieces of First Class mail, depending on whether or not I manage to actually scrounge up some Christmas Spirit in time to send them. Also, as an amateur radio operator, there is a regular need to mail out QSL cards -- postcard-sized reports of an on-the-air exchange between two amateur radio operators. I haven't been at all active in the past couple of years, but my interest in that hobby runs in cycles, and when I am "on-the-air," I can send out several hundred QSL cards a year. So, the "forever" stamp would potentially be a good deal for that use alone. Perhaps I'll put away a dozen rolls before the rates increase. If anything, I can always sell them for what I paid if I don't use them.

BTW -- in the U.S. a unit of First Class postage is a major bargain. Most EU countries pay about a buck a pop for the equivalent of our 39-cent 1st class postage.

The "centralized mailbox" scheme is pretty much the wave of the future, particularly in new developments. It saves the postal service a lot of time -- mail for numerous residences can be delivered in one stop of the truck. Even though I live in a fairly low-density development, we still have the central mailboxes, one per street, with around 12 homes per street. All the homes in my development are duplexes, and each "street" is really a Cul-de-Sac. Therefore, it's not a long walk to the central mailbox.

I wonder how long it will be before people who live on "traditional" residential streets, with individual mailboxes, will be able to get such door-to-door mail delivery? I would not be surprised to see such neighborhoods converted to centralized mailboxes in the near future.

Who do you need to mail the QSLs to? Authorities? FCC?

You Americans really should cherish your bargain-basement postage rates. It costs us Canucks a lot more to mail a small package around inside Canada than to mail it down the States.

I still have our own mailbox at the front patio. New houses that sprang up on my street still gets their own mailbox. Granted I know of newer neighborhoods served by centralized mailboxes, but I say the traditional way won't go away anytime soon.

Finally, you only do the stockup during the window between post office announcing its first rate hike after these forever/permanent stamps become available, to its effective date. You then should not have to buy them again until you run out of your supply.

Do Canadians get junk mails? I get so many junkmail, and they just keep sending 'em despite my plea to them to stop. I get so mad sometimes because it seems like somebody somewhere has all my personal, private information, and is selling 'em to junkmail marketers. I want to take down my mail box so I don't get anymore mail.

It costs us Canucks a lot more to mail a small package around inside Canada than to mail it down the States.

No Kidding!!! I went to the post office the other day and mailed a half dozen video games...including one to the States (all the same size). I couldn't believe it that the one to the U.S. cost less than some sent less than 50 miles away.

Do Canadians get junk mails? I get so many junkmail, and they just keep sending 'em despite my plea to them to stop. I get so mad sometimes because it seems like somebody somewhere has all my personal, private information, and is selling 'em to junkmail marketers. I want to take down my mail box so I don't get anymore mail.

Canada Post sells a service that dumps x number of unaddressed ads in a certain area. Don't need to buy any addresses.

For companies that know who their clients are, I believe they can mail ads at a certain rate, commonly known as Addressed Admail.

I get plenty of ads. They usually go straight into our recycle bin - a paper box with tops folded in and reused ad infinitum. Except for the weekly flyers where the deals are. default_biggrin

Topic List: Go to Everything Else