Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New To The Forum

by Corollaguy1123, March 24, 2007

Hello there,

I'm rather new to the Japanese cars and everything. I own a 2004 corolla, CE, in BSP. I love it so far, but I want to make it a fast and sharp daily driver. I also would like to do some cosmetic work, but keep it clean. I owned a 97 VW golf 2.slo before, in windsor metallic. I loved it, but it died suddenly, so now I have this, and I LOVE IT! I would like to start with a CAI and exhaust... I've been thinking of a Borla, what do you guys think? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty (when I get to know the 'rolla more, though) I'm still only on 2nd base with her so far! I have 100K miles on it, from the P.O. but they were highway miles, it has its share of scratches, and (thankfully) no dents. Wait, I found a couple, lol default_biggrin

Hello there,

I'm rather new to the Japanese cars and everything. I own a 2004 corolla, CE, in BSP. I love it so far, but I want to make it a fast and sharp daily driver. I also would like to do some cosmetic work, but keep it clean. I owned a 97 VW golf 2.slo before, in windsor metallic. I loved it, but it died suddenly, so now I have this, and I LOVE IT! I would like to start with a CAI and exhaust... I've been thinking of a Borla, what do you guys think? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty (when I get to know the 'rolla more, though) I'm still only on 2nd base with her so far! I have 100K miles on it, from the P.O. but they were highway miles, it has its share of scratches, and (thankfully) no dents.

If you want to make her faster, google 9th gen corolla, and try and find a used SCer kit, or see if TRD is still selling them. I think Magnaflow makes a exhaust for your car. I think Borla is good. I've never owned one before, but they are also one of the most expensive exhaust for any car. Is a Corolla really worth that?

What is BSP?

BTW, if you are interested in a TRD SCer kit ( I think another company might make one too. Google it. ) don't get a CAI. The TRD SCer kit works with the stock intake.

Bikeman982

Welcome to the forum. Check out some of the other posts for some very good ideas.

Wow, 100k miles on an 04' model. That's nearly 100 miles per day! The previous owner must have been a Taxi driver or something.

As for performance, it depends on your budget:

FREE! - oh you know its got to be good if its free. The simpliest and easiest way to make your car faster is to reduce weight. You can start with whatever clutter sits around. Try removing that spare tire and jack (it weighs about 35-40 lbs). Drive on 1/2 tank of gas or less (this will drop you about 40 lbs). During the dry summers, remove that windshield wash which you don't use (about 10 lbs).

Less than $500 - these are weight drop methods which will cost you. Install a lightweight battery (about $100). This will drop you about 40-45 lbs. Get some lightweight rims ($50-$100 each). This can drop you up to 40 lbs.

Less than $1000 - exhaust and intake are usually the first steps for aftermarket mods. Free-flow mufflers can cost about $100-200 depending on quality. A complete cat-back system can run up to $500 or more from reputable manufacturers like Magnaflow. CAI systems can be very cheap or very expensive, depending on who you buy them from. Their gains are neglegible. Along with changing the cat-back system, you could change your exhaust manifold (header). Those parts usually run around $200-400. In all, redoing your exhaust and intake can push your engine up about 5-10%.

$1000 to $4000 - a nice supercharger or turbocharger kit would work in this price range. If you install it yourself, it would be much cheaper, but to pay for someone else means you better be ready to fork over some serious money. Alot of fabrication is involved with turbochargers. Superchargers are easier to work with which is why TRD uses them. The gains from a turbo/super kit can run from 20-40% gains, depending on how high you set the pressure to (be warned, the higher psi you tune it, the faster it will wear down your engine).

$4000 and up - for the extreme spenders, engine swapping is the best option. You could swap in the Corolla XRS engine (170 HP), or the Celica GT-S engine (180 HP), without requiring huge amounts of fabrication. If you do the swap yourself, it could cost $3500-4000 depending on how good an engine you pick up. If you pay someone else to install it, add about $2000 onto that price tag.

BSP is Black Sand Pearl... I love the color, just got it cleaned up and all today, nice and shiny. According to the dealer, the previous owner commuted to NYC every day, so that's why I got so many miles on it... its clean as a whistle, but has some battle scars to it... I got YOU ALL beat for mileage on an 04.... lol default_biggrin Where can I find a trim piece for my new headunit, I'm having it pro. installed, but I already own the headunit. I have the Pioneer P6800 MP and an ipod adapter... I would also like to change the color of the lights in the center console, so I need to figure out how to get into the console behind the HVAC controls... anyone have a DIY or something?

Bikeman982

BSP is Black Sand Pearl... I love the color, just got it cleaned up and all today, nice and shiny. According to the dealer, the previous owner commuted to NYC every day, so that's why I got so many miles on it... its clean as a whistle, but has some battle scars to it... I got YOU ALL beat for mileage on an 04.... lol default_biggrin Where can I find a trim piece for my new headunit, I'm having it pro. installed, but I already own the headunit. I have the Pioneer P6800 MP and an ipod adapter... I would also like to change the color of the lights in the center console, so I need to figure out how to get into the console behind the HVAC controls... anyone have a DIY or something?
Do you have any pictures of the car??

Here's some photos, I washed it yesterday, but she's a little dirty again. BSP... looks sexy, but hard to keep clean!

Topic List