Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Wheel Alignment

by Jeff726, September 26, 2004

• 200 posts

I am planning to have a four-wheel alignment done in the next couple of days for my 2000 Corolla LE, and I was just wondering how the process works.

Pure magic, my friend.

Technician measures wheel angles and adjusts them to factory specs.

If any parts are too worn to meet spec, you are advised to replace the parts.

• 200 posts

In my case, the two rear tires are worn badly (cupped I think), but the two front tires are normal wear condition. Braking and steering are fine. Any other ways this could have happened?

The cupping of tires can be caused by worn struts and springs, worn wheel bearings, mis-mounted tire / wheel assembly, out of balance wheel assembly, large variances in air pressure (leak).

• 200 posts

So if my front tires are ok, there should be no problem on the front?

That depends - how often have the tires been rotated, last time they have been rotated, cupping problem just recent, etc. Could be just something with the rear suspension. Won't hurt to get them checked out, as with most FWD cars, 4 wheel alignment is the correct way to do it - some places only do front wheel align jobs, which does nothing for the car.

• 200 posts

Stupidly on my part, no rotation. The wear problem has only been within the last sveral months. The tires are about 33K miles old and are supposed to be 65K tires (Bridgestone Insignia SL). Hopefully nothing else is wrong because I can't afford big repairs at this time.

friendly_jacek

Stupidly on my part, no rotation. The wear problem has only been within the last sveral months. The tires are about 33K miles old and are supposed to be 65K tires (Bridgestone Insignia SL). Hopefully nothing else is wrong because I can't afford big repairs at this time.

Funny, without rotation, in FWD, front tires have way more wear the rear.

You either have very abnormal air pressure in rear tires or messed up aligment/suspension in the rear. At least you got 33 k miles without tire rotations, not bad.

Another thing is 65000 miles tire warranty does not mean that you will get 65000 miles from your tire. Read your warranty.

• 200 posts

I probably could have guessed that I wouldn't get 65K miles, LOL. And like I said, no braking or steering problems or any problems going over railroad tracks and bumps. I did put air pressure to around 40 PSI early this year, which could have exacerbated the problem. I am going to align it just to be on the safe side. I've had it looked at and a relative (who is very mechanically inclined) and a local tire shop manager have both told me just by looking that I am out of alignment. Fortunately, it's not an expensive repair except for replacing two tires alongside the alignment.

• 200 posts

Update: I had the alignment done friday, and everything was ok besides the alignment itself. All parts were in good shape!

Topic List