Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

A Whole Bunch Of Questions

by Leigh, March 18, 2007

Hi Everyone,

My 1995 Corolla (AE102, 7A-FE) is getting old. This year its 12 years old and has now clocked a bit over 341,000 kms. What I'm asking for is your advice and stories of your experiences. I have known other Toyota owners who have had their engines reconditioned at 200,000kms, but this engine has not been done and it has got 341,000kms on it.

I've owned the Corolla for a bit over 12 months now and because I'm a uni student and I rely heavily on having a car, I need it to last me for the next 2 or 3 years. Considering in the 16 months I've had it I have put on over 35,000 kms, this car will need to do at least another 96,250 kms before I can afford to part with it (If I use the 35k as a yearly average).

My question really is, how can I make this car last until it reaches 450,000kms? Is this high mileage common for Corollas and do you think it will last?

Do you think I should be getting the engine reconditioned? It uses an awful lot of oil and blows a bit of blue smoke. I did ask a mechanic this and he told me its cheaper to buy oil than it is to have the engine reconditioned. Yes, I agree. But perhaps the mechanic wasn't considering this from my point of view - That the car HAS (and there is no argument here) it HAS to last me 2 (probably 3) more years!

The timing belt was changed about 10,000kms ago. Rather, it was a whole timing kit.

I have had the oil changed twice and a new air filter (is that what they're called? its the paper'y thing) changed in the time I've owned the car.

What other suggestions do you have to make this car last the while? I am happy to spend money on it over the next couple of years, what I am not prepared to do is purchase another car.

On a different topic, should there be a 14psi difference between the spare tyre and the other tyres on my car? The spare tyre is one I tend to forget, but today I did make an effort to check its pressure. The other tyres had gone down about 2psi which is common for me (This is over 6 weeks), but the spare - Well, 14psi down!! Firstly, I'm wondering whether the reading is accurate? That is, all the other tyres are holding the weight of the car where as the spare is holding the weight of nothing. Is this difference the reason why there was such a variation in the spare tyre pressure as compared to the others?

Thankyou so much for reading and please feel free to share your tips, suggestions, advice and stories about how I can make sure my Corolla lasts me a few more years yet.

Leigh Styles.

First off, I wouldn't consider a 95' to be old. I see alot of cars on the streets that are 15+ years old.

I've heard of alot of 7th gen Corollas making it to 350,000 miles or more. Many people regard the A-series as one of the most durable engines built by Toyota. 300,000 miles is relatively easily obtainable for any Corolla. About the highest I've ever heard a Corolla making it to without an engine swap is 400,000 miles (though they may have done reconditions).

Imperial to Metric conversions:

211,761 miles = 341,000 km (what you currently are at)

300,000 miles = 483,000 km

350,000 miles = 563,000 km

400,000 miles = 644,000 km

Right now you are putting on about 16,300 miles per year (26,250 km). That means you could probably last over 5 years easily without the recondition, but you engine probably will be absolutely dead by 300k miles (meaning you will need an engine swap by then, not just a recondition). I don't know. Its up to you. For me, because I love my Corolla so much and would do anything to keep her going, I would pay for the reconstruct. I would be worried about the blue smoke and oil burning since it will not only wear down your car faster, but at least here in Massachusetts, it probably wouldn't pass emissions testing. I don't know what the restrictions are in Australia.

Hi Everyone,

My 1995 Corolla (AE102, 7A-FE) is getting old. This year its 12 years old and has now clocked a bit over 341,000 kms. What I'm asking for is your advice and stories of your experiences. I have known other Toyota owners who have had their engines reconditioned at 200,000kms, but this engine has not been done and it has got 341,000kms on it.

I've owned the Corolla for a bit over 12 months now and because I'm a uni student and I rely heavily on having a car, I need it to last me for the next 2 or 3 years. Considering in the 16 months I've had it I have put on over 35,000 kms, this car will need to do at least another 96,250 kms before I can afford to part with it (If I use the 35k as a yearly average).

My question really is, how can I make this car last until it reaches 450,000kms? Is this high mileage common for Corollas and do you think it will last?

Do you think I should be getting the engine reconditioned? It uses an awful lot of oil and blows a bit of blue smoke. I did ask a mechanic this and he told me its cheaper to buy oil than it is to have the engine reconditioned. Yes, I agree. But perhaps the mechanic wasn't considering this from my point of view - That the car HAS (and there is no argument here) it HAS to last me 2 (probably 3) more years!

The timing belt was changed about 10,000kms ago. Rather, it was a whole timing kit.

I have had the oil changed twice and a new air filter (is that what they're called? its the paper'y thing) changed in the time I've owned the car.

What other suggestions do you have to make this car last the while? I am happy to spend money on it over the next couple of years, what I am not prepared to do is purchase another car.

On a different topic, should there be a 14psi difference between the spare tyre and the other tyres on my car? The spare tyre is one I tend to forget, but today I did make an effort to check its pressure. The other tyres had gone down about 2psi which is common for me (This is over 6 weeks), but the spare - Well, 14psi down!! Firstly, I'm wondering whether the reading is accurate? That is, all the other tyres are holding the weight of the car where as the spare is holding the weight of nothing. Is this difference the reason why there was such a variation in the spare tyre pressure as compared to the others?

Thankyou so much for reading and please feel free to share your tips, suggestions, advice and stories about how I can make sure my Corolla lasts me a few more years yet.

Leigh Styles.

The first thing I would want to determine is if the piston rings or the valves are the source of the oil consumption. If the valves are to blame you can pull the head and have it rebuilt but if the rings are bad that will cost a lot more to repair since the engine has to be removed. Ask your mechanic to do a wet/dry compression test and that will tell you if the rings or valves are bad.

Bikeman982

I think your car will last many more kilometers. Just continue to maintain it and keep it tuned.

Keep the tyres inflated to the proper amount - that includes the spare.

Try getting new spark plugs and change the oil regularly.

Hope this helps.

the bottom line on keeping an engine alive:

oil & oil filter changes every 3000 miles ( 5000 km? )

Next, keep the cooling system in top notch condition ( Especially in Australia! ) . If you're taking it to a good mechanic, I'm sure he's checked your hoses and coolant system condition.

There are some additives & treatments you could use to decrease oil consumption, but they're not really necessary. I've used Auto-RX on my 98 Corolla, that was consuming about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles and it seemed to help a bit. It also claims to de-sludge the buildup inside the engine from using non-synthetic oil. Its a good product and easy for a non-mechanic to add to the engine oil. Just follow the directions. http://www.auto-rx.com

Bikeman982

the bottom line on keeping an engine alive:

oil & oil filter changes every 3000 miles ( 5000 km? )

Next, keep the cooling system in top notch condition ( Especially in Australia! ) . If you're taking it to a good mechanic, I'm sure he's checked your hoses and coolant system condition.

There are some additives & treatments you could use to decrease oil consumption, but they're not really necessary. I've used Auto-RX on my 98 Corolla, that was consuming about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles and it seemed to help a bit. It also claims to de-sludge the buildup inside the engine from using non-synthetic oil. Its a good product and easy for a non-mechanic to add to the engine oil. Just follow the directions. http://www.auto-rx.com

I wonder how good it really is.

If you order 5 or 6 bottles, it is less than $20.00.

I wonder how good it really is.If you order 5 or 6 bottles, it is less than $20.00.

I posted pics in the Sludge forum under FAQs - Recalls - TSBs. Feel free to do your own before and after pics. I would take off the valve covers for before and after pictures.

If it hasnt been maintained religiously, Id start by doing a couple of oil changes this week to remove as much sludge and crap as possible, make sure you drain the oil when the engine is still warm, change the oil filter too, careful not to burn yourself, and from there change your oil and oil filter every 5-8,000km after.

Use a thicker oil to boost compression and to reduce smoking and oil consumption, a 20W/50 grade oil, and ALWAYS take it easy during the 1st 5 mins of driving for the oil to circulate. Its up to you whether to use synthetic or mineral.

Change the spark plugs, leads, air filter, coolant, transmission, power steering and brake fluid, check front and rear pads and discs.

Use better quality fuel, at least 95 Octane, I use ethanol fuel to help remove any water from the fuel system, and NEVER run your fuel tank low, you will be shocked at how much crap builds up on the bottom of a tank, refill when it reaches a 1/8-1/4 tank.

Pump the tyres up to 36psi and the spare to 40psi.

From there its just a matter of monitoring the fluids once a fortnight and keep a record of your services when it was done and the mileage.

It should last you many years default_smile

Bikeman982

Hi Everyone,

Leigh Styles.

Start saving for the more expensive items that wear out and will eventually need replacing such as the tires and the struts.

Topic List