Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Le Brake Question

by wiltel24, March 11, 2007

Just had my brakes checked recently and both rear brake linings were at 3mm(front were 8mm ea.). Last year at same time they (rear and front brakes) were 10mm each. Should I be concerned? And what would cause them to wear so quickly. Car has only been driven about 4,000 miles in last year.

So the pads in the rear are wearing faster than the fronts?

On my wife's 2005, she has rear drums...so I assume that the shoes are worn? If so, you need to replace them and make sure that your proportioning valve is adjusted properly. Also, make sure that the shoes are adjusted to the proper setting.

Here is a good article on how to replace brake shoes:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/rearbrakes/

(remember to do only one side at a time, leaving the other in tact for reference of how to put everything back together). It helps to have a brake spring tool...needle nose pliers will only get you so far...

BTW, the brake lining is typically called the brake pad.

I had the tires rotated and the brakes checked by the Toyota dealer and they never mentioned anything about the pads needing to be replaced. Just curious on low are the pads allowed to get before getting them replaced.

Just curious on low are the pads allowed to get before getting them replaced.
Well, most brake pads and shoes have wear bars built in to them. These bars are made of metal and will begin to squeak to alert the driver as to when they get low. Your best bet would be to pull the drum or rotor and inspect the pads/shoes for wear.

Haven't heard of wear indicators for rear brakes - just fronts.

Normally rear shoes are good for 100K miles since front disks do most of the work.

Does anyone know what the specs in mm, front and back are on the LE brake pads ( they are not anti-lock type) when the car is factory new. I was told back are 1/2 of the front when car is new. Is that true?

Haven't heard of wear indicators for rear brakes - just fronts.
Yeah, I wasnt exactly sure on those as they arent typically replaced, but figured they had them as well. I stand corrected.

Also, FWIW, I have great luck with Performance Friction pads. They last quite a while and, being ceramic pads, they do not have a tendency to squeak.

Bikeman982

Just had my brakes checked recently and both rear brake linings were at 3mm(front were 8mm ea.). Last year at same time they (rear and front brakes) were 10mm each. Should I be concerned? And what would cause them to wear so quickly. Car has only been driven about 4,000 miles in last year.
You went from 10 MM to 3 MM in 4,000 miles?

Sounds like excessive wear or poor quality linings.

Depending on how worn they are (for me it is a visual inspection), they could require replacement.

Make the next set one of the better materials and they will last a lot longer.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)