Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Which 8th Gen Looks Best?

by twinky64, March 3, 2007

I'm seriously considering buying a used 00 - 02 corolla; whichever has the best value when I buy. This is due to me giving my 98 to my brother. The problem that I had with the 98 is the car rattles over cracked roads, and no front sway bar,---..and 200k+ miles <- but thats minor because the engine performs well (38mpg and 0-60 of 8.5s-9s). So I want an 8th gen because they look the best imo, but I cant decide which looks better.

the 00 has good looking headlights but the bumper looks boring and bland

The 01 has a good looking bumper and fog lights but the headlights don't look as good imo.

I'd get it in either white or black. 5 speed and of course the vvt-i that my 98 doesn't have. Any thoughts on looks/performance/ride? I don't want this topic to go off-topic.

• 1,424 posts
I'm seriously considering buying a used 00 - 02 corolla; whichever has the best value when I buy. This is due to me giving my 98 to my brother. The problem that I had with the 98 is the car rattles over cracked roads, and no front sway bar,---..and 200k+ miles <- but thats minor because the engine performs well (38mpg and 0-60 of 8.5s-9s). So I want an 8th gen because they look the best imo, but I cant decide which looks better.

the 00 has good looking headlights but the bumper looks boring and bland

The 01 has a good looking bumper and fog lights but the headlights don't look as good imo.

I'd get it in either white or black. 5 speed and of course the vvt-i that my 98 doesn't have. Any thoughts on looks/performance/ride? I don't want this topic to go off-topic.

I like the 01 best, and the 01 will have a front sway bar, regardless of what trim level you buy, it will also have VVt-i.

I'd avoid black if you park on campus. It will show scratches, chips and dents a lot easier. It is also a lot harder to keep clean. Believe it or not, white never looks dirty, it may get dull looking, but it doesn't ever look filthy like a black car does.

The '01 is really the pinnacle of the 8th generation design, as there were virtually no changes for '02, and you will certainly be able to pick up a '01 for less than a '02.

The 8th gens are all pretty similar, but if I had to pick one, id probably say an 01 Rolla.

nice contour

thanks, I think you just swayed my opinion. On a side note, the 01 has 4 lug wheels right? not 5?

nice contour

thanks, I think you just swayed my opinion. On a side note, the 01 has 4 lug wheels right? not 5?

That didn't happen until gen 9 in 03.

• 1,424 posts
nice contour

The 01 has 4 lug wheels, but the Corolla has such a common lug pattern that there are many wheels made for it.

The Corolla is not like the Ford Contour, which used a wired pattern that made it impossible for me to find wheels I liked that were in the right price range.

Bikeman982

I think the look of the 7th generation Corolla beats the look of the 8th, anyday.

Get a 1993 - 1997 and you won't be dissapointed.

I think the look of the 7th generation Corolla beats the look of the 8th, anyday.Get a 1993 - 1997 and you won't be dissapointed.
Actually, my family had a 94 and its good but I think the 8th has the spunk and spirit of a 7th with a little touch up of the looks

I never thought I would like a white car, however It has grown on me... Stay away from black...

For what its worth my 02 rattles over every little bump.. It’s a trade off for me… I paid 9k for it last summer and its owned free and clear…

My 2004 Sienna has no rattles at all and is a luxury ride, however I paid 27K for it default_smile

I think the look of the 7th generation Corolla beats the look of the 8th, anyday.Get a 1993 - 1997 and you won't be dissapointed.
Are you kidding me??? Only you would say that Bikeman. The 7th gen has an ugly dash with those annoying a/c levers. The 7th gen also has those awful looking boxy retro-80s taillights. The front end isn't that great looking either with that huge opening in the bumper. The 7th gen is far underpowered at just 105 hp for the 1.8L and 100 hp for the 1.6L. The 8th gen with VVT-i makes 125HP and gets a commanding 31/38 MPG (automatic) over the 7th gen's 27/34 MPG (automatic). On top of that, the 8th gen is much more environmentally friendly. I've driven behind some 7th gen Corollas before and they smell awful! They must have been pre-1996 before the stricter government emissions regulations came out.

As for which 8th gen to get Twinky, I would suggest the 2000. The 00' gets just as much power and fuel economy as the 01' or 02' models because it has vvt-i as well. Its just my personal bias. I don't care for the redesigned front of the 01' with the larger grille and bumper openings. The fog lights are a good addition though. Its really up to you. By the way, sway bars exist in all 8th gen Corollas except in the 1998 year for CE and VE trims. My 98' LE model came with sway bar. Toyota installed it in all models for 1999 after receiving too many consumer complaints of excessive body roll.

Are you kidding me??? Only you would say that Bikeman. The 7th gen has an ugly dash with those annoying a/c levers. The 7th gen also has those awful looking boxy retro-80s taillights. The front end isn't that great looking either with that huge opening in the bumper. The 7th gen is far underpowered at just 105 hp for the 1.8L and 100 hp for the 1.6L. The 8th gen with VVT-i makes 125HP and gets a commanding 31/38 MPG (automatic) over the 7th gen's 27/34 MPG (automatic). On top of that, the 8th gen is much more environmentally friendly. I've driven behind some 7th gen Corollas before and they smell awful! They must have been pre-1996 before the stricter government emissions regulations came out.

As for which 8th gen to get Twinky, I would suggest the 2000. The 00' gets just as much power and fuel economy as the 01' or 02' models because it has vvt-i as well. Its just my personal bias. I don't care for the redesigned front of the 01' with the larger grille and bumper openings. The fog lights are a good addition though. Its really up to you. By the way, sway bars exist in all 8th gen Corollas except in the 1998 year for CE and VE trims. My 98' LE model came with sway bar. Toyota installed it in all models for 1999 after receiving too many consumer complaints of excessive body roll.

some people think that the 7th gen looks better and some people thinks that the 8th gen looks better. Its just opinion. I respect bikeman's opinion just as much as yours brendon.

I hate the rattling. My gf's new yaris doesn't rattle at all and hugs the road 2 times better than my corolla with new struts. My 98 is a CE = excessive body roll and excessive tire shoulder wear. I've gone through too many tires.

I like the fog lights of the 01 and the headlights of the 00. I like the bigger bumper opening on the 01 and the smaller grille on the 00. The 00's and the 01's are the same mechanically, i just cannot decide with which look.

Are the tail lights the same on the 01 corollas mechanically as the 98-00s. I bought aftermarket taillights and I want them installed when I get another corolla. I just want to make sure that all the holes to put in the lights are the same.

• 1,424 posts
By the way, sway bars exist in all 8th gen Corollas except in the 1998 year for CE and VE trims. My 98' LE model came with sway bar. Toyota installed it in all models for 1999 after receiving too many consumer complaints of excessive body roll.

Actually the reason Toyota made a front sway bar standard for '99 on all trims is because of a little article entitled: "A Front Sway Bar for Every Corolla and Prizm".

Consumer Reports printed this article in their magazine in 1998 after testing a Corolla VE. They were so shocked by the cars poor emergency handling that they bought a LE to test. The LE with its front sway bar didn't handle poorly in the emergency avoidance maneuver, and they concluded that the poor handling was due to the lack of the sway bar.

On behalf of motorists, Consumer Reports filed a formal letter with their findings to Toyota. In that letter they gave Toyota 2 options: Either correct the problem in new models, or have this information leaked to the National Media and NHTSA. At the same time, Consumer Reports encouraged its readers to call and write Toyota until a solution was announced.

Toyota, not wanting America's best selling small car having its name tarnished, decided to quietly make the sway bar standard for all trim levels in '99. The issue was never brought to the attention of NHTSA, nor was it leaked to the National Media.

Say what you want about Consumer Reports, but they have done a lot for US Consumers. They have exposed numerous rip-offs, told us about potential hazards in our own homes like Halogen lamps that may catch fire or smoke and carbon monoxide detectors that don't work. The fact that they will not allow companies to use their findings to sell products, and that they buy everything they test speaks highly to their testing integrity. I've personally found their buying guides invaluable. Everything from dishwashers to gas grills is tested and they tell you not only what features you should look for, but what brands are historically trouble free. By buying those brands of equipment they recommend, I've saved myself tons on repairs compared to what my friends spend to keep their equipment running.

BTW, the Corolla comes highly recommended by Consumer Reports. It has been on Consumer Reports' "Best Picks" list for used cars every year since they started using that list sometime in the mid 1990s. "Best Picks" are cars that exhibit excellent reliability, hold their resale value and were highly rated when they were new. For years, the Corolla was the best small sedan according to Consumer Reports, and it still remains among the best.

Sometimes CR is out there on their car tests like when they tested a Vette and complained that the ride was rough. Or when they tested a Town Car and said the fuel economy was unimpressive. However, they are right on with their analysis of more common cars like Civics, Camrys, Corollas and Accords.

I hate the rattling. My gf's new yaris doesn't rattle at all and hugs the road 2 times better than my corolla with new struts. My 98 is a CE = excessive body roll and excessive tire shoulder wear. I've gone through too many tires. I like the fog lights of the 01 and the headlights of the 00. I like the bigger bumper opening on the 01 and the smaller grille on the 00. The 00's and the 01's are the same mechanically, i just cannot decide with which look.

Are the tail lights the same on the 01 corollas mechanically as the 98-00s. I bought aftermarket taillights and I want them installed when I get another corolla. I just want to make sure that all the holes to put in the lights are the same.

Well it sounds like you got a real conumdrum there default_laugh. The problem is that the two aren't compatible. The earlier headlights aren't the same shape of the 01' ones. The hood is probably not going to close all the way, or its going to leave a gapping hole in between. The same if you try and go for a smaller grille opening. The hood is going to be too short and exposed. If you try and install fog lights on an 00' Corolla, that means fabricating holes in your bumpers, as well as new wiring and switches.

The good news is that it's possible to swap things around, like headlights, bumpers, foglights, etc. Visit this website:

http://vamp.darkravers.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=7

The guy there called "Vamp" did perform a front end swap, installing an 01' front on his 99' Corolla. The work he described looks long and difficult, but it can be done.

By the way, I've seen a couple of the new Yaris' on the roads and they actually don't look that bad. A great improvement over the Echo. I still think they are too tall and the interior isn't that great, but I have to applaude Toyota for picking their mess up.

Bikeman982

I would say that the 7th is the best looking. I don't think the dash is ugly at all.

The boxy looking tail lights give it a fine appearance. The front end, is great, with the Toyota symbol, the grille and the bumper with screen.

I do think the power of the 1.8L is sufficient for daily commuting. I do wish it had better gas mileage, though.

My Corolla exhaust has no abnormal smell to it.

In my opinion, both 7th gen and 8th gen are very nice looking cars.

The 7th gen has kind of a baby Lexus 400LS look about it....very stately and dignified...

The 8th gen (98-00) has a slightly sportier flair to it from the back as well as the familiar 7th gen type of front end.

The (01-02) has a nice, yet much more aggressive-looking, more modern front styling that will probably age slightly better over the long run. Plus, you can easily add fog or driving lights to it, if it doesn't already have them built in.

In short, I think that any nice-looking, good running, lower mileage Corolla from '93 on up would be a good choice!!!

I guess, It's just a matter of preference, but, they're all winners to me.

Just a thought.....

Regards,

timkedz

Topic List