Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By mthibodeau, March 2, 2007

I recently bought a 04 corolla, and the stereo system has fritzed out. It worked the first day, then it started making popping noises and rapidly turning on and off by itself. I found the exact replacement stereo, and it looks like I can just take the old stereo out and plug the new one in - it has connector pins in the back... but how do I take the existing stereo out? I don't see any screws or anything - just a flat front.

how do I get the old one out and put the new one in? (keeping in mind that I don't do stuff like this regularly, but the shop assured me that it was simple and I could do it myself.)

Thanks!

Maria

Bikeman982

I recently bought a 04 corolla, and the stereo system has fritzed out. It worked the first day, then it started making popping noises and rapidly turning on and off by itself. I found the exact replacement stereo, and it looks like I can just take the old stereo out and plug the new one in - it has connector pins in the back... but how do I take the existing stereo out? I don't see any screws or anything - just a flat front.

how do I get the old one out and put the new one in? (keeping in mind that I don't do stuff like this regularly, but the shop assured me that it was simple and I could do it myself.)

Thanks!

Maria

Another post on the same subject says that the bezel is just pulled out - no screws.

The mounting bolts are under the bezel and you will see them after the bezel is out.

• 1,424 posts

I'm going to help you out, because the process isn't difficult, but it has a lot of steps, and they are hard to describe in words.

Corolla stereo removal- with pictures

This is the exact procedure I used to get at my radio so I could install Sirius.

It is for a 2006, but it will work on any 2003 and later Corolla, regardless of if it is a CE, LE, S or XRS.

Good Luck

Thanks for the pics and details. That looks considerably more complicated than what the shop told me - "just pull out the old and plug in the new", so I doubt I'll be able to do it myself. Though I am confused because what the99countour said seems to differ from what bikeman982 said - that the bezel is just pulled out, as opposed to the more detailed procedure.

Thanks,

Maria

• 1,424 posts
Thanks for the pics and details. That looks considerably more complicated than what the shop told me - "just pull out the old and plug in the new", so I doubt I'll be able to do it myself. Though I am confused because what the99countour said seems to differ from what bikeman982 said - that the bezel is just pulled out, as opposed to the more detailed procedure.

Thanks,

Maria

Bikeman drives a diferent model of Corolla than you drive, and for his car, it is just as simple as popping it off and putting it back in.

Trust me, your stereo needs the procedure I gave you a link to to take it out and replace it.

I have a 2005 which is identical to your 2004, and if you don't follow that procedure, there is no way to access the stereo bolts and pull the stereo out.

I have done my own audio work on my 2005 and I followed that procedure to take the dash apart. If you aren't comfortable with it, don't try it yourself.

Either the guys who told you it was easy were not aware that you drive a newer Corolla, or they may be so skilled that the procedure is as simple to them as pulling out the and popping a new stereo in.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

-the99contour

Bikeman982

Follow the correct procedure and you should not have a problem.

It is not really complicated, but does require some patience.

Give it a try and you will be surprised as to how capable you are.

• 1,424 posts

I've done no less than 10 cars, and the 9th generation Corolla was by far the hardest.

One must follow the instructions exactly, otherwise the car's interior panels will get damaged.

You have to pull hard, but not too hard, if it feels like it's going to break something, you aren't pulling in the right place.

Really, you only need a Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm socket with an extension.

Do be careful not to lose a mounting bolt, they take forever to find if they fall into the dash.

At least your replacement stereo will be a direct replacement and you won't have to do any wiring.

Bikeman982

I've done no less than 10 cars, and the 9th generation Corolla was by far the hardest.

One must follow the instructions exactly, otherwise the car's interior panels will get damaged.

You have to pull hard, but not too hard, if it feels like it's going to break something, you aren't pulling in the right place.

Really, you only need a Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm socket with an extension.

Do be careful not to lose a mounting bolt, they take forever to find if they fall into the dash.

At least your replacement stereo will be a direct replacement and you won't have to do any wiring.

How do you use putty with the socket?

The example on the link used that method to keep from dropping the bolts (screws) into the dash area.

• 1,424 posts
How do you use putty with the socket?The example on the link used that method to keep from dropping the bolts (screws) into the dash area.

I don't know but the only thing that most people might have that would work and would reach to the back bolts was a 10 mm socket with a 6" extension on a 1/4" drive ratchet.

You can't get a wrench back there and they are hex head bolts, not Phillips or slotted, so a screwdriver is out.

Bikeman982

How do you use putty with the socket?The example on the link used that method to keep from dropping the bolts (screws) into the dash area.

I don't know but the only thing that most people might have that would work and would reach to the back bolts was a 10 mm socket with a 6" extension on a 1/4" drive ratchet.

You can't get a wrench back there and they are hex head bolts, not Phillips or slotted, so a screwdriver is out.

Those still have the potential to remove and then drop the bolts into the dash area.

The putty is supposed to hold the bolt in the socket long enough to get it removed past the dash.

I think gum would work just the same!

I was thinking "gum" too. I have a bunch of screws and other junk that i have dropped being the IP... If i cant see it after looking for more than 30sec, I usually just give up and find a replacement. I have better things to do with my time.

also, might be worth your time to replace those screwed with regular phillips head screw.

it was prob just a cost savings to go to the stupid hex screw (commonization with some other screws).

tdk.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)