Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Drum Brakes

by badandy, September 21, 2004

• 55 posts

What's up folks? Here my question I have a 1999 LE, am the original owner,and I"m wondering how long the rear drum brake shoes will last? The car has 54k on the odometer.When I adjust them,it only take 3/4 clicks on the adjusters.Any info or insight will be great. thanks

Depends on how much you use them. Sometimes adjusting them by hand will make them wear out a bit faster (tend to make them "tighter" than what the adjuster will do themselves).

I've burned through a set of front pads in less than 30K miles - but the rear shoes still had some meat on them. Now at 90K - still looks like they have about another 30K left to go.

I've had a Honda that went almost 240K before I had to replace the rear shoes. 180K in my folk's Camry. They should hold up for a while - but brakes are pretty cheap - if they look a little thin - I'd replace them to be on the safe side.

Good Luck.

My drum brakes lasted 85,000/ 4 years on my 01 LE. I probably could have pushed them a few thousand more miles but brakes are too important to take a chance with.

my barkes are 50% worn at 50,000km...........probably i'll need to get the rear ones done at 100,000 km. the fronts are barely worn at 50,000km.

I last checked my drum pads when my car had around 160,000 miles, and they still had a little meat left on them. Now I'm at 220,000 miles on the original brake pads! But I should mention that I got 90,000 miles on my last set of front pads and they would have gone much longer if one of them hadn't worn funny due to rotor pitting. I have bought new rear pads, and I just have to get around to changing them.

The bottom line: If you do a lot of highway driving, you can get 200,000+ miles on your rear pads.

Topic List