Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By vurjt, February 24, 2007

I have a 2004 Corolla LE with A/T. Currently has 105k miles. I changed the fluid myself at 65k miles. 4 quarts came out and I put 4 qts back in. Toyota brand Type IV. In reading the manual today, it says that it holds 3 qts, but 4 came out so that's why I put 4 back in.

The dipstick always measures above the "hot" mark, even when it's cool.

A Toyota service manager even told me the tranny holds 4 qts.

Is the dipstick wrong, book wrong???

I recently drained and filled my wife's 2005 LE with A/T and it took 3 qts to refill.

• 1,424 posts

Toyota made changes in the capacities of the Corollas for 2005 and 2006, so I can't tell you exactly what it should be, but if your service manager told you 4 qts and 4 qts came out, it could be possible that the book is wrong. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

I'd go back to the Toyota dealer and double check for sure.

Overfilling the transaxle with ATF isn't a good thing, better to be safe than sorry.

Bikeman982

I have a 2004 Corolla LE with A/T. Currently has 105k miles. I changed the fluid myself at 65k miles. 4 quarts came out and I put 4 qts back in. Toyota brand Type IV. In reading the manual today, it says that it holds 3 qts, but 4 came out so that's why I put 4 back in.

The dipstick always measures above the "hot" mark, even when it's cool.

A Toyota service manager even told me the tranny holds 4 qts.

Is the dipstick wrong, book wrong???

If it was operating good and had 4 quarts in it, then replacing it with the same amount should not hurt it.

It is possible that either or both the dipstick or the book is wrong.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)