Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Softer Seats, Any Thoughts How?

by Brendon, February 20, 2007

Well today I drove out to see my Dad. The trip was about 40 miles in each direction, not that long. After about an hour of driving, it felt like my butt had been perminently warped by the seat. I can tell right off hand, the seats on my SC400 are about 500% more comfortable. Not only is it made of a soft leather, but the actually foam inside is softer too and wraps around you like a sofa cushion. The only problem is that car isn't drivable default_sad;.

So my question is how could I make my seats on the Corolla softer? I've already been considering putting in leather covers, but I'm not sure if that alone is going to make the seats any better. I've taken a peek inside by removing the cloth cover from the headrest. The foam inside looks and feels so hard like a rock! I was thinking maybe I should try either putting a softer foam inside, or possibly filling it with something else like feathers or some sythetic fill (like the stuff used in teddy bears).

K_Watson

Try a padded seat cover before you go tearing into your seats.

• 1,424 posts
Well today I drove out to see my Dad. The trip was about 40 miles in each direction, not that long. After about an hour of driving, it felt like my butt had been perminently warped by the seat. I can tell right off hand, the seats on my SC400 are about 500% more comfortable. Not only is it made of a soft leather, but the actually foam inside is softer too and wraps around you like a sofa cushion. The only problem is that car isn't drivable default_sad;.

So my question is how could I make my seats on the Corolla softer? I've already been considering putting in leather covers, but I'm not sure if that alone is going to make the seats any better. I've taken a peek inside by removing the cloth cover from the headrest. The foam inside looks and feels so hard like a rock! I was thinking maybe I should try either putting a softer foam inside, or possibly filling it with something else like feathers or some sythetic fill (like the stuff used in teddy bears).

Well, since the SC400 cost 4x what the Corolla costs, what did you expect?

Seriously, if you get leather covers on, you can get soft padding put under the leather covers to make the seats more comfy. I've seen them do it on Pimp My Ride before. default_tongue

softer doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. the stock seats are already too soft, IMO. the problem is that they don't have enough support in the right places, and lack adjustability like seats in higher-end cars.

Bikeman982

You might have to toughen up your butte!

Just kidding - try a soft seat cover or soft foam cushion.

• 1,424 posts

Have you owned your car since it was new?

The reason I ask is this:

My Dad used to work in a plant that made car seats. He told me that the foam in the seats isn't supposed to be hard. It is meant to be firm and resilient, but not rock hard.

Rock hard seats are almost always a sure sign that the seats got really wet. That doesn't mean the car was flooded, all it means is that someone left the windows open for 10 minutes during a downpour.

If the water isn't vacuumed out of the seats with a wet-dry vac, you run a real chance of the foam getting hard later in life.

If you aren't the original owner of the car, it may have got rained on without our knowledge.

If not, then I really don't know why your seats are so hard.

Bikeman982

The seats should not be super soft, or rock hard. They should feel comfortable.

You can always replace either the cushions, or the seats themselves.

I don't think they got wet. Its not that they are uncomfortable or rock solid. They become uncomfortable on long rides and I think it may just be the headrest thats really firm. Its not just my car, but on my Mom's car too (she bought it brand new and its garage kept). I've rode in her car before on long trips to visit my sister in Conneticut and it also can get sore. I really wish I could put some super material inside like memory foam or that tempurpedic bedding.

Along the lines of seat swapping, does Toyota/Lexus/Scion make their seats to a standard size, or will I have problems if I put in something like the Camry leather seats? I've been doing searches on eBay. I found a full set of 97-01 Camry leather seats both front bucket and rear bench. The set was only about $600 (400+200 for shipping). This is almost as cheap as just buying custom leather covers, plus the front seats are powered. Obviously I would have to do some cutting to get the rear bench to fit since the Camry is wider, but I'm wondering if the front ones would bolt on directly without requiring extensive modification.

• 1,424 posts
I don't think they got wet. Its not that they are uncomfortable or rock solid. They become uncomfortable on long rides and I think it may just be the headrest thats really firm. Its not just my car, but on my Mom's car too (she bought it brand new and its garage kept). I've rode in her car before on long trips to visit my sister in Conneticut and it also can get sore. I really wish I could put some super material inside like memory foam or that tempurpedic bedding.

Along the lines of seat swapping, does Toyota/Lexus/Scion make their seats to a standard size, or will I have problems if I put in something like the Camry leather seats? I've been doing searches on eBay. I found a full set of 97-01 Camry leather seats both front bucket and rear bench. The set was only about $600 (400+200 for shipping). This is almost as cheap as just buying custom leather covers, plus the front seats are powered. Obviously I would have to do some cutting to get the rear bench to fit since the Camry is wider, but I'm wondering if the front ones would bolt on directly without requiring extensive modification.

Generally not. I know for a fact that the Celica seats don't fit without modification, and the Corolla and Celica share a platform. Since the Camry is an entirely different platform, I'm guessing they wouldn't fit either because of being too big and or having different mounting points.

Bikeman982

I seriously doubt the mounting would be the same.

You could take the mounting measurements and try to compare those with the seats you want to purchase.

Thats a new one.

I havent heard of many complaints about the seat being too hard. I have had racing seats in my car in the past. THOSE ARE HARD! I has a really cheap one once... basically a hard plastic shell with 1/2" foam padding. It held great, but it got real old, real fast.

Remember, you are in a corolla. it an econo box. not a luxury car. even if you are sitting at home for an hr or 2, you butt will hurt (if you are in a cheap chair).

need to get up and get teh blood circulating.

Seats are specific to the vehicle. But with a little work, you can make them fit.

Also remember that the rails are different. you will prob have to figure out a way to make the corolla rails fit on the new seats, or make a jig so that the rails from the new seat fit your car. (ie. welding, cutting, and drilling)

Step 1, go get a cushion for your seat.

Step 2, sit on a wooden chair while at home/work (no padding), your butt will think your rolla seats are like silk =P

good luck

tdk.

Bikeman982

That's good - try toughening up your butt.

Sit on hard chairs when you are not in your car and it will feel better when driving.

Bikeman982

I took a seat apart today and found some sections that were glued and they seemed to be harder.

The seat comfort seemed to be related to the springs that hold the cushioning up.

Maybe you could get springier springs??

I found the seats in my 06 CE not too comfortable on long trips. Now my 07 LE has very comfortable seats. Thought it might just be my imagination, but my wife, who has a bad back, noticed a definite difference too, and anyone who has a bad back can notice little differences on anything they sit in very easily. They must have changed something between the 2 years..

Bikeman982

I found the seats in my 06 CE not too comfortable on long trips. Now my 07 LE has very comfortable seats. Thought it might just be my imagination, but my wife, who has a bad back, noticed a definite difference too, and anyone who has a bad back can notice little differences on anything they sit in very easily. They must have changed something between the 2 years..
Maybe they actually listened to some feedback from owners and made a change to the seats??

Might be that the LE has upgrade seats compared to the CE trim. Same case in my Corolla and Camry - the trims levels had an impact on overall comfort. That said, I like the seats in the Matrix XRS much better than the other trim levels in the Matrix. Same goes for the 7th gen Celica GT-S seats - both are much firmer than the garden variety seats, but that firmness also helps reduce fatigue in the legs and thighs. I've driven several hours non-stop and still felt great at the end.

Bikeman982

I added a bracket and shims to the rear mounts on my car seat and it made a big difference.

Maybe they actually listened to some feedback from owners and made a change to the seats??

i would second that. i have an 08 corolla s. and in my opinion are more comfortable then my moms 2000 corolla le seats. newer vehicle. obviously has to have its upgrades. yes i know 2000 to 2008 is huge jump.but everyone here get the picture.

Topic List