Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By cdherman, February 20, 2007

Ok, per Toyota TSB EG018-06, dated 3-29-06, they are now putting GF-4 5w20 oil in many of their engines, 1zz-fe included, starting Febuary, 2006.

The TSB notes several things -- first that these changes apply to 2006 and up engines, and secondly:

"Use the recomended grade specified on the oil filler cap or Repair Manual or User's Manual".

You already guessed it: My Corolla was made in January of 2006. And indeed, the oil filler cap and manual spec 5w30.

So from a PURE warranty standpoint, 5w30 is proper, no doubt.

But I bought this car for fuel economy out of idealism and not necessity. So I can take some chances. I'd like to try 5w20 and see how much of a difference it makes (I track every gallon and mile, so I think I will be able to see what dif it makes).

Does anyone know for sure, or even have an opinion? Did Toyota really change my 1zz-fe engine between January 2006 and Febuary? I know the 1zz-fe got a larger sump somewhere along the way (take 5 quarts in mine, w/filter), but that happened earlier.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

cdherman in KC

Bikeman982

Does your oil filler cap really specify which viscosity oil to use?

Not much difference between 5-20W and 5-30W oil.

Both operate at around the same temperatures with the 5-30W good for warmer climates.

When I first saw that TSB for the GF-4 engine oil, I wondered about that as well.

There were two TSBs, one was: EG001-06 ILSAC GF-4 ENGINE OIL STANDARD (OBSOLETE)

1/13/2006 - 2006 model year Toyota and Scion vehicles

For the 2006 model year, all Toyota and Scion vehicles come from the assembly plant filled with ILSAC GF–4 engine oil. The new oil is compatible with all previous oil standards and should be used at all maintenance intervals.

NOTE: Be sure to use the correct viscosity grade of motor oil when servicing vehicles. The recommended oil viscosity varies according to the engine. If 5W–30 is the primary specified oil but is NOT available, 10W–30 may be used. However, it should be replaced with 5W–30 at the next oil change. Please refer to the Owner’s Manual for additional information. For Prius vehicles, refer to TSB No. EG050–04, “Engine Oil Specifications.”

The other was: EG018-06 ILSAC GF-4 ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION

3/29/2006 - 2006 – 2007 model year Toyota and Scion vehicles.

Toyota Motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF–4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benefits for both the customer and the environment. ILSAC GF–4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines.

NOTE: The recommended viscosity grade for this oil differs according to vehicle model. Use the recommended grade specified on the oil filler cap or in the Repair Manual or Owner’s Manual for each vehicle. For Prius vehicles, refer to TSB No. EG050–04, “Engine Oil Specifications.”

Wording was changed slightly between the two. Not that is matters much, as the latest API category for motor oil (API SM) already meets API's “Energy Conserving" threshold and meets ILSAC GF-4 minimums. The slighly lower viscosity is interesting though - still there are several that indicated that they run 0w-30 and others with 10w-30 on 2006+ Toyotas and Scions with no issues as of yet. Be interesting to see what changes it will have on your car - let us know how it turns out.

Yes, the TSB seems vaguely worded, as if you can use the oil in 2006 models, but then stateing that you should use what the manual suggests. And what would happen to your warranty if something did go wrong? Probably in court, Toyota would back down, but its best to avoid that sort of thing. Besides, I hightly doubt that any problems from 5w20 would show up before 60k miles anyhow......

In fact, my oil filler cap does say "5w30 Gasoline saving Oil". I suppose that is to dissuade people from putting 10w30 or 10w40 etc in there. I was over at another Toyota forum and basically got into a flaming match when the regulars there started suggesting 5w40 and 5w50.

Hey, I'd like for my engine to last a long time too, but I also recognise that today's modern engines usually outlive the cars they are in, so there's no point in wasteing gas running thick oils, aiming for a 300k mile enigne, and then have the whole car crushed at 200k. Follow me????

I wish there were someway of contacting Toyota proper. I have no real trust in the local service managers -- they are likely to tell you "use xw30 because that's what we do here" without any high level knowledge about what really is different in the 06 engines that might effect the choic in oils.....

Ok, off rant.......

Thanks for the replies thus far.....

Maybe it could have something to do with cold (winter weather) start engine noise some of us hear. Maybe the 5w-20 can circulate a little quicker than the 5w-30??

Bikeman982

I would use what the owner's manual or the repair manuals recommend.

Ti-Jean

Yes, the TSB seems vaguely worded, as if you can use the oil in 2006 models, but then stateing that you should use what the manual suggests. And what would happen to your warranty if something did go wrong? Probably in court, Toyota would back down, but its best to avoid that sort of thing. Besides, I hightly doubt that any problems from 5w20 would show up before 60k miles anyhow......

In fact, my oil filler cap does say "5w30 Gasoline saving Oil". I suppose that is to dissuade people from putting 10w30 or 10w40 etc in there. I was over at another Toyota forum and basically got into a flaming match when the regulars there started suggesting 5w40 and 5w50.

Hey, I'd like for my engine to last a long time too, but I also recognise that today's modern engines usually outlive the cars they are in, so there's no point in wasteing gas running thick oils, aiming for a 300k mile enigne, and then have the whole car crushed at 200k. Follow me????

I wish there were someway of contacting Toyota proper. I have no real trust in the local service managers -- they are likely to tell you "use xw30 because that's what we do here" without any high level knowledge about what really is different in the 06 engines that might effect the choic in oils.....

I couldn't agree more with everything you said here. Any good 5W-20 won't destroy your engine before the end of the warranty and never ever use the heavy 40 and 50 weight oil as you engine won't be better off with it over the long term and you'll pay the price in poorer fuel economy and performance.

If I were you, I might just go with a thin 5W-30 that will shear to a 5W-20 in short order anyway. The few dollars saved here will compensate your infinitesimal loss at the gas pump.

Personally, I run Esso XD-3 full synthetic 0W-30 in mine. It's only available in Canada and has a big following over at BITOG and with the cognocenti.

And remember that your driving habits will do much more for your mileage than a change from 5W-30 to 5W-20 ever will.

BTW, I conclude that my GF's '06 Matrix with the bigger oil capacity (4.2 liters) had the new 5W-20? If so, that oil just looked completely finished when I changed it after only 4 months and less than 5000 km.

• 1,424 posts
BTW, I conclude that my GF's '06 Matrix with the bigger oil capacity (4.2 liters) had the new 5W-20? If so, that oil just looked completely finished when I changed it after only 4 months and less than 5000 km.

It is certainly possible. If her car was built after the TSB date, then the running change was already made and all cars made thereafter would have used the newly recommended oil.

Toyota changed several things from one year to another in the Corolla and Matrix. IIRC, Toyota increased the oil capacity by just moving the marks up on the dipstick, the crankcase isn't larger. I wonder why they did that. The '05 models don't seem to have a problem running on less oil, and to my knowledge, Toyota has never told '05 owners to put more oil in their cars.

Ti-Jean

It is certainly possible. If her car was built after the TSB date, then the running change was already made and all cars made thereafter would have used the newly recommended oil.

Toyota changed several things from one year to another in the Corolla and Matrix. IIRC, Toyota increased the oil capacity by just moving the marks up on the dipstick, the crankcase isn't larger. I wonder why they did that. The '05 models don't seem to have a problem running on less oil, and to my knowledge, Toyota has never told '05 owners to put more oil in their cars.

Exactly. I actually made the demonstration on BITOG with pictures of both oil dipsticks side by side. So now, I don't really worry if my '05 is slightly overfull.

The '06 Matrix was made around October '05 when we took delivery in November. So it was made before the TSB but with the bigger oil pan and 5W-30 recommendation.

I have pretty much decided to run 5w20 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer. April 1 to Oct 1 etc.

I put about 11,000 miles per year, which I can sort of shoe horn into two six month OCIs. I do UOA anyhow, so if I see my wear metals rise, I'll have to change more often.

Plan at this point is to run Penzoil Platinum. The idea of a 0w20 or "light" 0w30 makes a lot of sense, but the Toyota TSB that seemed to specifically recomend avoiding 0w20 in the older engines (they recomend it for only the newest of their engines, such as those in the hybrids...).

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. When I have some numbers in a year, I'll drop them into a spread sheet to see if I can detect any trends. I have one winter's data on 5w30, for comparison..... (not fair to compare summer to winter data).

Bikeman982

I have pretty much decided to run 5w20 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer. April 1 to Oct 1 etc.

I put about 11,000 miles per year, which I can sort of shoe horn into two six month OCIs. I do UOA anyhow, so if I see my wear metals rise, I'll have to change more often.

Plan at this point is to run Penzoil Platinum. The idea of a 0w20 or "light" 0w30 makes a lot of sense, but the Toyota TSB that seemed to specifically recomend avoiding 0w20 in the older engines (they recomend it for only the newest of their engines, such as those in the hybrids...).

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. When I have some numbers in a year, I'll drop them into a spread sheet to see if I can detect any trends. I have one winter's data on 5w30, for comparison..... (not fair to compare summer to winter data).

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)