Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Springs

Guest xmaverickx

ok...i went to vpower's website just browsing their suspension products for an 05 corolla...they offer a few brand names for my car that had prices from $155-$230...first question...is the more expensive one necessarily much better (performance and will it last longer) than the cheaper ones???second question...how many inches should I lower my car if I occAssionally want 4 or 5 people in it without any problems???third...I am considering eibach, tein, or trd springs with tokico struts ...any suggestions will be appreciated...

1) Generally, what you pay is what you get - you don't have to spend a fortune, but don't expect $99 copycat springs to last or work as well as some TEIN springs. But pick one that fits your budget - keep in mind that your base car is a COROLLA - don't try to make it something else.

2) The amout of drop you can do without bottoming out with passengers will vary quite a bit - depending on your selection. Some cases - the OEM springs will bottom when loaded down with 5 people and their luggage. If you want to get an aggressive stance - but want something that will give higher ground clearance or control - look to adjustable coilovers. You can lower them for an agressive stance or crank them up for heavy loads. This will be the most expensive system - no free lunch. If you go with a wider wheel - that you have to play games with wheel offset and springs rates to keep it from bottoming out - keep in mind that there probably be a bump or stretch of road out there that will still bottom your suspension, no matter what you do. So don't knock yourself out.

3) All of them are very good - some people like Teins with KYB or Tokico struts - some people like Eibach, H&R or Intrax springs. Just check around - if you elect to go with TRD systemm, nice thing is that you can get a pretested set of springs to struts. Struts that can handle the lower ride height without overheating or damage and have the proper damping ratio for the higher rate springs. You can piece together your own system - but may take a couple of set swaps to find something that suits your style. Guys over at vvti.net, toyrolla.com, and corolla-racing.com have some good reviews. Some are total BS - but it is easy to see who is knowledgeable and who is blowing smoke.

Good Luck.

Guest Buckeyeman

You should also check to see what brands are progressive rate springs or linear rate springs, plus the rate of the spring itself. Both will determine the ride you are looking for. A lot of people are only concerned with the amount of drop and that's only part of the total package.

Guest xmaverickx

what's the difference between progressive an d linear???

Guest xmaverickx

1) Generally, what you pay is what you get - you don't have to spend a fortune, but don't expect $99 copycat springs to last or work as well as some TEIN springs. But pick one that fits your budget - keep in mind that your base car is a COROLLA - don't try to make it something else.

2) The amout of drop you can do without bottoming out with passengers will vary quite a bit - depending on your selection. Some cases - the OEM springs will bottom when loaded down with 5 people and their luggage. If you want to get an aggressive stance - but want something that will give higher ground clearance or control - look to adjustable coilovers. You can lower them for an agressive stance or crank them up for heavy loads. This will be the most expensive system - no free lunch. If you go with a wider wheel - that you have to play games with wheel offset and springs rates to keep it from bottoming out - keep in mind that there probably be a bump or stretch of road out there that will still bottom your suspension, no matter what you do. So don't knock yourself out.

3) All of them are very good - some people like Teins with KYB or Tokico struts - some people like Eibach, H&R or Intrax springs. Just check around - if you elect to go with TRD systemm, nice thing is that you can get a pretested set of springs to struts. Struts that can handle the lower ride height without overheating or damage and have the proper damping ratio for the higher rate springs. You can piece together your own system - but may take a couple of set swaps to find something that suits your style. Guys over at vvti.net, toyrolla.com, and corolla-racing.com have some good reviews. Some are total BS - but it is easy to see who is knowledgeable and who is blowing smoke.

Good Luck.

hey fish...thanks for your input...now...i am not planning on racing the car or anything like that but i do want the handling to be better...what would you suggest is a good combination including height???thanks...

Dai_Shan

Well the difference between progressive and linear...

(i know nothing of car struts/springs...but just from my engineering)

Linear...depending on downward force...upward sprnig force is equal(straight line...even....proportianal etc)

Progressive.....as the spring is compressed more(highload) it compensates and provides a lot of upward force. Thus preventing bottoming out.

If it handling your after - a good tire and wheel combo will have a more pronounced effect on the Corolla than a suspension mod. To tighten the handling - start with the basics: strengthen or stiffen the chAssis first - the mods will benefit the most from that. A good strut tower brace will work very well in concert with upgraded wheels or if you go with different springs/struts.

You don't have to go extreme with a drop - 1" to 1.5" is just noticeable with little trade off in overall ride and vehicle capacity.

Good points made by Buckeyeman and Dai_Shan on linear or progressive spring options and spring rates. That decision will depend on your particular tastes for ride quality. But generally - a progressively wound spring (spacing between coils vary over the length of the spring) will give you a decent compromise between a softer ride (increased spring travel portion) and more control in "spirited" driving (increased spring rate portion). Spring rates may or may not be listed - usually the ones that list them are generally better brands. I believe the OEMs are between 95 -135lbs, front and rear (my 2002 OEMs were 125lbs front - 100lbs rear).

If you go with a lowering spring - make sure you pair it with a good strut and that it was design for a lowered suspension. A lowered suspension will kill OEM struts pretty quick as they are designed for damping motion under that kind of compression. A few of these struts will actually be shorter in length to account for the lowered suspension.

Other things to research are upgraded sway bars (anti-roll bars). A change in these will really change the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Just depends on how much you want to invest in the project.

Good Luck.

Guest xmaverickx

If it handling your after - a good tire and wheel combo will have a more pronounced effect on the Corolla than a suspension mod. To tighten the handling - start with the basics: strengthen or stiffen the chAssis first - the mods will benefit the most from that. A good strut tower brace will work very well in concert with upgraded wheels or if you go with different springs/struts.

You don't have to go extreme with a drop - 1" to 1.5" is just noticeable with little trade off in overall ride and vehicle capacity.

Good points made by Buckeyeman and Dai_Shan on linear or progressive spring options and spring rates. That decision will depend on your particular tastes for ride quality. But generally - a progressively wound spring (spacing between coils vary over the length of the spring) will give you a decent compromise between a softer ride (increased spring travel portion) and more control in "spirited" driving (increased spring rate portion). Spring rates may or may not be listed - usually the ones that list them are generally better brands. I believe the OEMs are between 95 -135lbs, front and rear (my 2002 OEMs were 125lbs front - 100lbs rear).

If you go with a lowering spring - make sure you pair it with a good strut and that it was design for a lowered suspension. A lowered suspension will kill OEM struts pretty quick as they are designed for damping motion under that kind of compression. A few of these struts will actually be shorter in length to account for the lowered suspension.

Other things to research are upgraded sway bars (anti-roll bars). A change in these will really change the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Just depends on how much you want to invest in the project.

Good Luck.

good point...yes i am going for better handling...i am planning on upgrading my tires and making them a little wider (205s)...i am also considering bigger wheels maybe 16s or 17s but i only want to get oem that will fit the corolla...will the matrix's 17s give me a problem???or should i just go with 16s (stock xrs rims)???

regarding the springs...i really don't want it too low...but i would definitely want to get progressive ones...as far as spring rates...is it the higher the number the better or the other way around???also if i do go with the springs i would definitely want to upgrade my struts...but generally how long do the struts last???i would not want to change them every year...also with the 1" to 1.5" drop, will i have any problems as far as bottoming out if i occAssionnaly have 2 to 3 passengers in the car???

strut tower brace (strut bar?)...i am definitely getting one...can you recommend any good sway bars...i will invest in these 2 first to see how much the handling tightens...then go from there...thanks again...

Good sway bars are from Hotchis, Progress, Eibach, a few more as well - I don't recall if the others have fitments for Corolla.

Strut tower brace or strut bar - make sure that it as rigid as possible. Bunch of them out there are made from cheaper aluminum and have holes cut into them to look "cool" - but as stiff as a wet noodle. If you can bend the bar by hand - then it is not going to do you any good. Cusco, TRD, and some others are good. Don't skimp on these parts - as what you pay is what you get.

If you go the lowered route - progressive rate springs - they should be higher in spring rate compared with the OEM ones - the lower the drop, decreased amount of spring travel/compression, the higher the spring rate. Otherwise - you'd keep running into the stops. Keep in mind that the higher the rate - the stiffer the ride - that's why progressively wound springs are popular, initially soft like OEM then stiffer as the spring is compressed. OEM struts in a droppes suspension don't last very long - but if you get the approved strut for application - it could be several years before they need to be replaced (also depends on how you drive).

If you go 1" - 1.5 drop - a few people in the car should be OK - depends on how rough the roads are and how much they weigh default_biggrin.

On the 2003+ Corollas - you can stuff as much as a 18" wheel under there without rubbing too bad. All depends on the wheel offset and width of the wheel. I believe the Corollas are spec'd for 35-45mm wheel offset and max width of 7" (205mm tire). 16" is almost a sure bet of little or no clearance problems - 17" wheels, may have to roll the fender lip to keep it from rubbing. Have to factor in the total amount of drop and wheel offset to determing wheel clearance issues.

I run a 205/45R16 - no clearance problems even when fully loaded down - but I also retained the OEM springs and struts. They seem to be a good compromise of increased tire contact patch, ride quality, increases handling and pothole/hazard resistance.

Guest Buckeyeman

Good points made by Buckeyeman and Dai_Shan on linear or progressive spring options and spring rates.  That decision will depend on your particular tastes for ride quality.  But generally - a progressively wound spring (spacing between coils vary over the length of the spring) will give you a decent compromise between a softer ride (increased spring travel portion) and more control in "spirited" driving (increased spring rate portion).  Spring rates may or may not be listed - usually the ones that list them are generally better brands.  I believe the OEMs are between 95 -135lbs, front and rear (my 2002 OEMs were 125lbs front - 100lbs rear).

The 95-135 is in. lbs. correct?

TRD says their springs for the 98-02 Corolla are 3.2 kilograms front and 3.0 kilograms rear, whatever that is in in.lbs. I don't know.

Yeah Buckeyeman - I should have been more specific. Spring rates are in lbs/in (pounds of load per inch of deflection) for most listings - sometimes they will list them in N/m. But many times you may see them listed in just "pounds" instead of the pounds/inch. I'm not sure what TRD was referring to for 3.2kg and 3kg front and rear - that seems really low for a spring rate - could be shipping weight?

Thats a lot of good info fishexpo, thanks for taking the time.

I almost think I am beginning to understand a reasonable portion of this subject default_wink

Pretty complicated when you start from scratch.

Guest Buckeyeman

Yeah Buckeyeman - I should have been more specific.  Spring rates are in lbs/in (pounds of load per inch of deflection) for most listings - sometimes they will list them in N/m.  But many times you may see them listed in just "pounds" instead of the pounds/inch.  I'm not sure what TRD was referring to for 3.2kg and 3kg front and rear - that seems really low for a spring rate - could be shipping weight?

Tein H-Tech springs are rated at 2.7 kg / 150 in.lbs. equivalent for the front and 2.3 kg / 130 in.lbs. for the rear. That's what their website says, so that would make the TRD units about (3.2 kg.)180 in lbs. front and (3.0 kg.)160 rear give or take 10 in lbs. So the TRD springs would be stiffer. H&R and Eibach refuse to give out that information.

So that would be kg / mm. At 1 lbs / .454 kg and 25.4 mm/in you'd multiply by about 56 to go from kg/mm to lbs/in.

Guest xmaverickx

hey fish...thanks a lot for the info...they are very helpful and i really appreciate it..by the by...guys do you know if trd and tein are progressive???

For the TRD lowering springs (2003+ Corolla) ~ 1" drop (drop) fronts are progressively wound, rears are linear.

http://www.brandsport.com/trd-00602-48130-022.html

For the TEINs H.Tech ~ 1" drop, S.Tech ~1.5" drop (body)- I believe they are progressively wound front and rear - not 100% sure though - could be same as TRD.

http://www.tein.com/ti/l00.html

A pic of TRD Springs

I got mine at trdsource.com, but their price has gone up since I ordered them.

Now, down to JustAsk rental to pick up two compressors and I'll be in business...

I thought I had read somewhere the TRD were progressive, but perhaps its more important if they are progressive in the front than in the back?

Topic List