Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check Engine Light Flashes

by Bikeman982, February 17, 2007

Bikeman982

My daughter's 1995 Corolla failed her CA smog check (emissions testing) yesterday because they said the timing was off and they could not read it.

Before she went in to the smog check station the car was running fine.

When she came out she had failed the smog check and her CEL was flashing.

What did they do to cause that???

Now I have to check it out tomorrow to see if I can figure out how to get it timed and get the CEL to go off, as well as get it to pass smog.

Any suggestions on how to do that?

I will keep you posted.

Bikeman982

Update; My daughter called the smog place and they said the left the jumper in the diagnostic plug.

She took it out and CEL stopped flashing (Duh!).

She went to another place for a second smog check (I changed her dirty air filter).

She failed a second time (results were a little better- but still FAIL).

Now she is looking to get a diagnostic and she has a coupon for a free smog retest.

What are the codes?

Bikeman982

What are the codes?
There are no codes, just high HHC in the exhaust. NO level was good and so was CO2.

The CEL is not on (after jumper was removed).

How can I improve the Hydrocarbon level in the exhaust?

So the vehicle has a problem with too much hydrocarbons exiting the system? That would tell me that it is running too rich and the fuel is not being burned properly.

Here are some things you might check on the vehicle:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/JULY/TECH2TEC.HTM

just a thought, i cant remember off the top of my head, but does the 95 corolla have a air flow meter? if so, i would try cleaning it. if it is slightly dirty, not enough to trigger a light, but enough to make it run rich.

just a thought.

aaron

air flow meter? if so, i would try cleaning it. if it is slightly dirty, not enough to trigger a light, but enough to make it run rich.just a thought.
On that note, if the vehicle has an idle air control valve, I would also pull and clean that. If the IAC sticks closed, then that should cause the engine to run rich.

How many miles? Have you ever replace the O2 sensors? How about PCV Valve, plugs wires...

I failed on my 92 with high HCs because of incorrect gaped plugs...

no airflow meter on any 7th gens in the US, a bad IAC would just cause it to either idle high or stall when you take your foot off the pedal.

i'd check the ignition system, plug gaps, plug conditions, wires, cap, rotor.

What recent maintenances have been done?

Ignition - plugs, wires, cap, rotor with the emphasis being plugs?

PCV, oil change? Does it burn oil?

Throttle body servicing?

What's the mileage?

I would do the basics and take it out for a good romp then retest.

Jay in MA

What are the codes?

There are no codes, just high HHC in the exhaust. NO level was good and so was CO2.

Bikeman982

What recent maintenances have been done?

Ignition - plugs, wires, cap, rotor with the emphasis being plugs?

PCV, oil change? Does it burn oil?

Throttle body servicing?

What's the mileage?

I would do the basics and take it out for a good romp then retest.

Jay in MA

What are the codes?

No real recent maintenance. I did change her wires, because one was broken at the plug contact area, and it metered bad.

I should try some new spark plugs. She has over 203,000 miles on it.

• 1,424 posts
No real recent maintenance. I did change her wires, because one was broken at the plug contact area, and it metered bad.I should try some new spark plugs. She has over 203,000 miles on it.

If the car has platinum plugs, and they were changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation previously, then they need changed for sure.

It also wouldn't hurt to check some of the emissions equipment like the PCV valve. That part has been known to cause emissions problems if it gets gunked up.

Bikeman982

No real recent maintenance. I did change her wires, because one was broken at the plug contact area, and it metered bad.I should try some new spark plugs. She has over 203,000 miles on it.

If the car has platinum plugs, and they were changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation previously, then they need changed for sure.

It also wouldn't hurt to check some of the emissions equipment like the PCV valve. That part has been known to cause emissions problems if it gets gunked up.

I have been reading the manual and that is one of the items that may give a high HC reading on the emission test.

The spark plugs are standard NGK copper core V-groove plugs.

Bikeman982

My daughter is waiting for the state to send paperwork which will reimburse her for expenses incurred to get it to pass the smog test.

Topic List