Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Front End Humming Noise 91 Dx

Guest 91bluedx

HUMMING, GRINDING NOISE UP FRONT. I DROP IN NEUTRAL WHEN DRIVING AT 40-50 MPH AND NOISE IS STILL THERE. I DON'T THINK IT IS THE TIRES. CAR RUNS AND ACCELERATES SMOOTHLY BUT THE NOISE CAN GET ANNOYING. I PAID $500 FOR THE CAR. CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM FOR UNDER $100. IT'S BEEN GOING ON FOR A YEAR WHEN MY SISTER HAD IT. DOES IT SOUND LIKE SOMETHING THAT MAY GET WORSE AND DISABLE THE CAR? ANY HELP WOULD BE FANTASTIC!!

You can try rotating the tires front and back to see if they can be eliminated as the source of the noise.

Does the noise change pitch or get louder depending on engine RPMs, road speed, engine load?

Possible sources for the noise are tires, wheel bearings, cv joints, steering rack, fans, accessories (pulleys, belts), loose or worn suspension, loose or worn engine/transmission mount, or brake issue (rotors, calipers, pads, etc)

As for repairing it for less than $100 - hard to say for sure. Most mechanics will charge around $80 to just diagnois a problem - no work. As far as the likelyhood of getting stranded or worse - hard to say for sure. Need more info - auto or manual transmission, mileage, etc. If the noise has been getting worse - then it probably will end up dying sometime soon. If the noise hasn't changed much since your sister drove it - chances of it causing problems down the road are remote.

Good Luck.

Guest 91bluedx

I will be changing the tires first. The two front ones are newer(Goodyears) but right passenger tire took a beating when strut mount broke. I have replaced strut mount and noise is still there. Could the tires be making the noise if they were put in the wrong direction? One more problem, the back has been really bouncy and that probably means bad struts. There goes my hundred dollars. I think i'll move the Goodyears to the back and get brand new one's for the front. Thanks

Guest 91bluedx

I will be changing the tires first. The two front ones are newer(Goodyears) but right passenger tire took a beating when strut mount broke. I have replaced strut mount and noise is still there. Could the tires be making the noise if they were put in the wrong direction? One more problem, the back has been really bouncy and that probably means bad struts. There goes my hundred dollars. I think i'll move the Goodyears to the back and get brand new one's for the front. Thanks

That tire is probably bad - a worn strut will cause them to wear out or unevenly very quickly. You mentioned replacig a broken strut mount - upper mount (fender) or lower mount (hub/spindle). Even when replaced - the area should be checked for weak spots, etc. - since a broken mount may compromise another suspension component - could have twisted, bent something else, causing the noise you hear.

I'd also check the ride height - could be both springs and struts are going bad. Struts control the damping (bouncing) and spring hold up the car and set the ride height. If they are uneven from side to sie, front to rear - could have a bearing on road noise and increased tire wear.

As for tires - better to replace them in complete sets - but given the age of the vehicle and previously broken mount - probably won't matter too much.

Good Luck.

Guest 91bluedx

Could hubcaps send the tires out of balance. I am not much worried about the noise anymore, i might have a buyer for $1000. The tires are shaking at 50 mph and the only thing new are the hubcaps. And low and behold the power steering gave me trouble but now seems to have fixed itself after making some squeeling noises. Thanks Fishexpo for all your great info!

They could - some hubcaps are keyed to have the lighter side line up with the valve stem on the wheel. Easy answer to this is to drive them without the hubcaps - if they vibration goes away, then that is the problem - otherwise, you still have something else causing you grief.

Power steering might just be low on fluid or the fluid may be heavily oxidized. Could also be a slipping accessory belt that is worn or glazed over.

Good Luck.

Topic List