Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Front Brake Squeal, 2002 Corrolla S

by Steves40th, February 9, 2007

Well, I have a 2002 Corolla S with 63kmiles. It is a city driven car here in Hawaii, so allot of stop and go. A few months ago it started squeeling pretty good. You can hold the pedal at the spot it squeals while driving and contiinue to hold the speed via the throttle, and the noise is still there.

So, I replaced the pads, and put the Permatex goop on the back with the steel shims that clip on the back of the pads. That was good for a few days. Then the squeal came back. And yes, I bedded the brakes.

So, I looked at the situation again, and decided after this many miles, to put new rotors, instead of turning old, and putting Organic pads, vice the sem metallics. And after a few days of quietness, they started squealing again.

Now, I am up to my wits with the bandaids associated with this car. Apprently it is a common problem.

I am going to grease the caliper slides etc with brake grease, and reaaplu thicker goop on the back of the pads.

Any sure fire fixes for this cars problem?

Ceramic Pads? Maybe?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Just make sure that you lube the caliper slide pins and where the caliper rides on the torque plate (part that you attach the caliper too). Make sure you have the shims on and some goop. If they still squeal - you make have a bad or sticking caliper. Have you flushed the brake fluid yet? Car have ABS?

Normally they recommend it as part of good maintenance every year - regardless of mileage. As brake fluid is extremely hydrophilic (loves water). Even in plastic/metal containers sitting on a shelf - over a period of time, partially opened cans of brake fluid will suck in moisture. That moisture will increase the chance of the fluid boiling in heavy braking (lose braking ability, pedal goes soft or to floor) and increases the likelyhood of corrosion in the system (especially a problem if you have ABS - fluid with moisture will start eating the valves in the ABS pump).

Bikeman982

Make sure you have the Permatex goop in the correct locations. Cover any place on the pads that contact either the mounting clamps or the caliper contact area.

brake fluid was flushed about a year ago. The goop was put on the pads, and the shims were put on then more goop. The slide pins arent accessible as far as I can tell as they are covered in a rubber boot.

I did it this morning, and rebedded the new pads and it hasnt squeeked yet. I will give it a few days and see. Thanks guys.

Bikeman982

brake fluid was flushed about a year ago. The goop was put on the pads, and the shims were put on then more goop. The slide pins arent accessible as far as I can tell as they are covered in a rubber boot.I did it this morning, and rebedded the new pads and it hasnt squeeked yet. I will give it a few days and see. Thanks guys.
If everything is covered in rubber or goop and it still makes a squeel, then it is probably the pads and rotor themselves - incompatible metals.

I have purchased the best pads available for my wife's car and they are made of ceramic. They are supposed to last a lifetime and provide the best braking.

I spent a little more for them than for regular pads but I wanted my wife to be safer.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)