Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

After Car Wash

by muzak, February 7, 2007

This is weird. Last summer I inadvertantely left my trunk slightly ajar during a rainstorm. It was my house with the carport and no water, whatsoever, got physically onto the car. My right speakers all acted as if they were blown, but settled down a couple of days later. In the past month, on washing my cars physically at the car washes, it has happened twice again. I have an amp in my trunk and can't figure out why this is happening??? The common denominater seems to be the amp in my trunk, but there is no water actually there. ?????????

Bikeman982

This is weird. Last summer I inadvertantely left my trunk slightly ajar during a rainstorm. It was my house with the carport and no water, whatsoever, got physically onto the car. My right speakers all acted as if they were blown, but settled down a couple of days later. In the past month, on washing my cars physically at the car washes, it has happened twice again. I have an amp in my trunk and can't figure out why this is happening??? The common denominater seems to be the amp in my trunk, but there is no water actually there. ?????????
It does not take much water to short out a wire.

I think I fixed the problem. I tried it again today as I hate having salt on my car. I sprayed the amp connections with the equivalent of WD40 (Water Displacement 40) and all seems well. Just that little bit of moisture seems to make my amp moody.

I think I fixed the problem. I tried it again today as I hate having salt on my car. I sprayed the amp connections with the equivalent of WD40 (Water Displacement 40) and all seems well. Just that little bit of moisture seems to make my amp moody.

Is your amp a 4 channel amp for the interior speakers or an amp for subwoofers?

I would say it sounds like it has nothing to do with the water. Its possible you have poor connections somewhere and as you drive they settle into a better position or move to worse. I would check/adjust and tighten all connections.

If the problem persists it is probably your head unit dying. If the unit is not old, it could possibly be your amp depending on the brands your using the problems could have different sources.

Bikeman982

It does not sound like a water problem, if you can't detect any in the trunk.

Definitely check for loose connections.

which 2 speakers sound 'blown'? it could be some water getting into the wires somewhere you cant see and shorting them just a little.

I think the whole problem was somehow related to the amplifier in the trunk. I know it wasn't water in the trunk as it happened in the carport the night I accidently left the trunk ajar. Since I sprayed the wires it has all been fine, so I suspect a finicky amp.

Topic List